Thread: AFI album rating

Default AFI album rating

I doubt many people will comment, considering how dead this place is and especially all sections besides GC.

But now that Burials has been out for a bit, wondering how people would rate AFI's catalog.

For me:

Sing the Sorrow 10/10

Black Sails in the Sunset 9.9/10

The Art of Drowning 9.8/10 (I love all three of these albums to death, but I have to say Sing the Sorrow's my favorite)

All Hallows EP 9.5/10

Burials 9/10

Crash Love 7.5/10

Very Proud of Ya/Shut Your Mouth and Open Your Eyes/Answer That and Stay Fashionable 6/10

DecemberUnderground 5/10

Of course we have the trifecta of BSiS/AoD/StS (none of which have a single song I dislike), and All Hallows Eve is equally good besides being short - but Burials is up there. It's a fantastic album, and very unexpected. It's very dark, but less emo. And that drumming on I Hope You Suffer... I like every track on the album, but especially the first 5 and the last 1.

Crash Love is quite good, with some seriously stellar tracks like Torch Song, Beautiful Thieves, End Transmission, Okay I Feel Better Now, Medicate, I Am Trying Hard to be Here, and Fainting Spells (amazing song)... but it's brought down by its weaker songs like Darling I Want to Destroy You and Veronica Sawyer Smokes.

Their first three albums I like, but I get a little bored. It's just too much of the same, and not very creative. But good fun, that's for sure.

And DecemberUnderground is still a steaming pile of shit. It has a few good songs (Kill Caustic, Miss Murder, The Interview, Endlessly She Said) and a few okay ones (Love Like Winter, Affliction, Kiss and Control), but the rest are just trash. Basically half the album sucks. In fact, in most of the songs on the album I do like, I really only like the chorus and find the rest of the song boring.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

• Answer That and Stay Fashionable: 9/10
    • Very Proud of Ya:10/10
    • Shut Your Mouth and Open Your Eyes: 10/10
    • Black Sails in the Sunset: 10/10
    • The Art of Drowning: 10/10
    • Sing the Sorrow: 5/10
    • Decemberunderground: 1/10
    • Crash Love: 1/10
    • Burials: 0/10

Sort of. Cannot say that I have listened a lot the albums after Sing the Sorrow. I base the rating on about how many of the songs off the record that I can that say I like. Answer That and Stay Fashionable could as well have 10/10, but the later records were better. I was convinced that Sing the Sorrow was awful, but then I listened to it again and found some manageable tracks. I might have put too much focus on the small things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijs View Post
    Sometimes I love Jojan <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Amiralanal View Post
    Jojan is not ignorant. He is the king. You are the enemy.
    Quote Originally Posted by PilZ-E View Post
    I appreciate Jojan.
    Quote Originally Posted by noodle654 View Post
    Jojan you are my favorite!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bipolar Bear View Post
    Jojan fucking owns!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jebus View Post
    jojan's right boob = hawt
    Quote Originally Posted by Krojd View Post
    Jojan, you are awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by yarock View Post
    Jojan fr den Sieg.
    Quote Originally Posted by KickHimWhenHe'sDown View Post
    I like Jojan's signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Defender View Post
    Jojan for President!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    I actually think Jojan is pretty funny in his own right.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJakes84 View Post
    Jojan's signature is the longest and most beloved. <3
    Maybe because it came from Jojan, and Jojan rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by "Melyssa K" Kennedy View Post
    Jojan is right
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ignition- View Post
    Jojans planer lter bra.

Quote Originally Posted by Jojan View Post
    • Answer That and Stay Fashionable: 9/10
    • Very Proud of Ya:10/10
    • Shut Your Mouth and Open Your Eyes: 10/10
    • Black Sails in the Sunset: 10/10
    • The Art of Drowning: 10/10
    • Sing the Sorrow: 5/10
    • Decemberunderground: 1/10
    • Crash Love: 1/10
    • Burials: 0/10

Sort of. Cannot say that I have listened a lot the albums after Sing the Sorrow. I base the rating on about how many of the songs off the record that I can that say I like. Answer That and Stay Fashionable could as well have 10/10, but the later records were better. I was convinced that Sing the Sorrow was awful, but then I listened to it again and found some manageable tracks. I might have put too much focus on the small things.
    Why the drop-off with StS? Which songs on it do you hate? It's also surprising to see someone put Answer that, Very Proud, and Shut Your Mouth on the same level has Black Sails and Art of Drowning. Most people seem to like one or the other more.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Llamas, I've had this random memory of you saying that you "might be done with AFI if the next album isn't any better" or something like that. Why that stood out to me, I don't know. Probably because I agreed with it and didn't realize it at the time due to my now expired love of AFI.

As far as how they've progressed....I actually consider December Underground part of the expanded "good AFI" era, but barely. Sort of like how Weezer's Green Album is only sort of part of the "Good Weezer" era. Crash Love was really lame. Since it came out, I've had these random urges to try to get into it at various points. It truly only has a small handful of memorable melodies to me.

I haven't even bothered with Burials save for maybe listening to a sample of the first song when it came out or something.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

Like the album or loathe it (I pretty much like most of it), you'd have to admit STS was kind of the turning point for the band in terms of moving into a different direction.

There are some killer tracks on that, and the Vig production sound is really good. But fans don't so much dislike it due to the major label debut thing, it's more just the steering of the ship in a softer direction.

That being said, their pre-Black Sails stuff is sophomoric punk crap too, and their most recent album has some pretty surprisingly rockin' stuff on it too, so it's not like they've abandoned the heavier stuff entirely.

I love AFI, though I think more just a certain period of AFI, it's really just BS and AoD. Call it nostalgia or whatever, and I definitely don't hate the more recent efforts (or the electronic side-project for that matter, that stuff's really damn cool), but they just sort of hit that sweet spot in '99 and '00, which I feel they haven't really been able to either replicate or alternatively do anything different on the same level.

Plus, like, you're like 40 now guys. The image thing's just sad, act your age, play your damn instruments and shaddap.

Quote Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
    Why the drop-off with StS? Which songs on it do you hate? It's also surprising to see someone put Answer that, Very Proud, and Shut Your Mouth on the same level has Black Sails and Art of Drowning. Most people seem to like one or the other more.
    It is an all-right record, but I got disappointed when it came out and never quite got hold of it. To me, it had not the quality of what their previous stuff was. It has grown on me in the last year, though. I have listened a lot more to the first two records, but the two thereafter have great energy to the songs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijs View Post
    Sometimes I love Jojan <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Amiralanal View Post
    Jojan is not ignorant. He is the king. You are the enemy.
    Quote Originally Posted by PilZ-E View Post
    I appreciate Jojan.
    Quote Originally Posted by noodle654 View Post
    Jojan you are my favorite!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bipolar Bear View Post
    Jojan fucking owns!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jebus View Post
    jojan's right boob = hawt
    Quote Originally Posted by Krojd View Post
    Jojan, you are awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by yarock View Post
    Jojan fr den Sieg.
    I like Jojan's signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Defender View Post
    Jojan for President!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    I actually think Jojan is pretty funny in his own right.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJakes84 View Post
    Jojan's signature is the longest and most beloved. <3
    Maybe because it came from Jojan, and Jojan rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by "Melyssa K" Kennedy View Post
    Jojan is right
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ignition- View Post
    Jojans planer lter bra.