Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Arachnophobia

I typed brown recluse into google and I have to admit the wounds are quite impressive. Small little creep.
    Austria is quite safe in terms of spiders. Well, seldom you can encounter a black widow in the southern part of the country during summer. They crawl up from Italy to us I've been told.
    Do you think you‘d sell your soul
    To just have one thing to turn out right?

The brown recluse does look pretty cool, with the violin and all on its back. It's kind of why I'm afraid of all little brown spiders - they're hard to differentiate sometimes from a house or grass spider unless you get really close. The other bad one in the US is the black widow, which also looks menacingly cool. The females have a red hourglass-looking symbol on their backs. There is also one called the brown widow in the extreme south US.

Those two can mess you up, but they're nothing like funnel-web spiders or the wandering spiders. Australia really got the shaft as far as wildlife goes. The US also has it pretty easy with snakes. We have copperheads, cottonmouths, and a variety of rattlesnakes, which will all fuck your shit up pretty bad, but they're generally not lethal unless they bite a small child or old person. The only absolutely deadly snake in the US is the coral snake, but it's very difficult to be bitten by one of those things due to their disposition, rarity, and fangs being located at the back of their jaw.

Spiders seem to fear me for some unknown reason and I'm way to sweet to smash one up. The Deadly Poison Black widows I do fear like many of my other phobias.

I also suffer from arachnophobia. I try telling myself that it's extremely stupid to be afraid of spiders, but then again, that's why it's a 'phobia', eh.

I'm not scared of the tiny spiders (i'm not really comfortable with them either), but the bigger ones just creep me the hell out. I'm not scared of them biting or anything, I don't know what it is. I'm not scared of ants or bees or wasps. Maybe it's a sort of learned fear - spiders are always the baddies.

Oh, and also, ticks. Fucking hell, my friend showed me photos of dog ticks, and I've been feeling itchy ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    I'm not scared of the tiny spiders (i'm not really comfortable with them either), but the bigger ones just creep me the hell out. I'm not scared of them biting or anything, I don't know what it is.
    The only thing that bothers me about spiders is the way they move. The skeletons in the original Pirates of the Caribbean move like spiders, so they make me seriously uncomfortable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    Or what? Or you'll leave as soon as someone returns your rudeness and delete all your posts? I'm so scared.

It doesn't bother you at all that when you fall asleep they crawl around on your face and lay eggs in your hair?

Not at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    Or what? Or you'll leave as soon as someone returns your rudeness and delete all your posts? I'm so scared.

Massive arachnophobe here. I used to spend far too long frozen in fear watching a spider on my wall before pulling myself together and dealing with it in an extraordinarily violent and messy way. However, lately I can't bring myself to kill them. At all. It's not the spider's fault I am terrified of it; that's down to my own weak mind.

I've realised the last few years that when you see a spider crawling around your room or on your wall, it's just out grabbing a snack. It's late and the poor fella is after some grub.

After I've started thinking like that, I've actually began to be able to deal with them in a rational and grown-up manner: the glass and coaster technique*. Of course, I can't just throw it out of the window (surely if I drop it on my property then that's exactly where it'll go back, thus starting a terrible cycle); instead I have to leave the house, walk down the street and dump it well out of reach. Maybe its next destination will be that of a spider-loving fly hoarder and it'll live a long, happy and creepy life well out of my eyesight.

* Except for last night, where I found two absolute units in my bathroom. I had no choice but to destroy them.