Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: To guys who think "bitches" is synonymous with "women"

Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    You are also ruining a perfectly good word. I like telling someone they're acting like a bitch...when they fucking deserve it.
    Now this is what I hate. You're either against the usage of a word that degrades women or you're not. Calling some women bitch isn't much different than calling every women bitch. I mean, who is a bitch? How do you decide when people deserve to be called that? You remind me of guys who say "all women are whores. except my mother. and my sister. an your mother. and your sister." When someone calls me a bitch, or another sexist word all I understand is "there is something I hate about you but I am either too stupid to understand what it is or it will reveal what a loser I am".

And, the word is also degrading to dogs. What's wrong with being a female dog? Nothing. Dogs are cute creatures, there's nothing wrong with them. Except, they are not cats. That's a big problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk should be read by every high school student so they can be like "dude, wtf, this sucks."

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    Or what? Or you'll leave as soon as someone returns your rudeness and delete all your posts? I'm so scared.

Quote Originally Posted by _Lost_ View Post
    oh that was a great article

All the Beautiful Things you do

Respect my authoritah !

Quote Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
    I prefer to use the word "asshole" if someone is being aggressive
    See, for me personally, "asshole" and "bitch" are the same thing with one simply being the male version and one being the female version. That's just how I grew up understanding it I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by killer_queen View Post
    Now this is what I hate. You're either against the usage of a word that degrades women or you're not.
    Ah, well you see, I am against it. But as I just explained, inside my head "bitch" is merely the female equivalent to "asshole". I won't use the word (because of all the reasons already stated) but it does, on some small level, annoy me that I can't use it. In my world (the awesome world in my head) it doesn't have to be a misogynistic word. I understand that only I live in that world, however. Is that clearer now? I was also mostly joking about being annoyed that I can't use the word, with just a little grain of truth to it, like lots of good jokes.

Quote Originally Posted by WebDudette View Post

PiB, in what context do you find the word bitch acceptable?
    Technically none. Though it's still useful in prison lingo. I don't know of a better substitute word in that context. It's horrible, but it really gets the point across rather succinctly.

Quote Originally Posted by WebDudette View Post
    One of my biggest pet peeves is sandwich and kitchen jokes. It's never been funny, never will be funny, and at this point it's tired as shit. There is no joke, it's JUST misogyny.
    Right, see, I sort of like those kinds of jokes. Now, give me a chance to explain that. Amongst friends, I like making offensive jokes, ripping on each other, like a comedy roast sort of situation. I like the back and forth banter between like-minded people who all know we're not serious. I wouldn't make those kinds of jokes around people I didn't know well or people who didn't enjoy that kind of banter. People who might think I was serious. And that's where I get sad. When I remember that the world is full of really despicable people who say despicable things and aren't being ironic or just playing the I-insult-you-now-you-insult-me game. It makes me sad that I could make an offensive joke and people wouldn't immediately know I didn't actually mean it. It makes me sad that they would be right to first be concerned that I am actually just a piece of shit.

I used to agree with the sentiment that the only responsibility of comedy is to be funny. I've grudgingly come to accept that this can't be true. I wish it was true, but it's not. So yeah, I hate bigots/racists/whatever for being horrible people, but I also hate them for ruining a lot of good jokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    Nice.

I actually tend to post on forums when I want to organize my thoughts for my own personal benefit. It's an extension of the writing a letter to nobody concept. I think that's a thing and not just something I made up. I enjoy organizing my thoughts in this way. For me, the act of writing the post is basically the whole thing. I could get to the end and then simply delete the whole thing (and sometimes do) and still receive mostly the same enjoyment. But actually posting my random thoughts helps me justify the amount of time I spent organizing them, and so I do. Then I tend to utterly forget about them. So, while I enjoyed your response, if I took your question seriously I'd have to say no, that is not what I was looking for. I found what I was looking for about a second after I submitted the post.

Getting any kind of replies is an unexpected bonus.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

Recently I have been confronted with the concept of sexism in video games. Or, more specifically, sexism in the world of gaming and geek culture in general.

I didn't really believe it at first. I didn't want to believe it. I like to think that geeks and gamers are good guys, guys like me, guys who wouldn't be misogynistic assholes. It seems that was just wishful thinking.

Here's a great cracked article with links to some other interesting sites.

I'm really pretty bummed about this problem. As a geek and a gamer I personally want to see more women sharing in my interests. I want to see them encouraged. Not threatened with rape and murder. The fuck.
    Last edited by Paint_It_Black; 09-25-2013 at 04:28 PM.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    Recently I have been confronted with the concept of sexism in video games. Or, more specifically, sexism in the world of gaming and geek culture in general.

I didn't really believe it at first. I didn't want to believe it. I like to think that geeks and gamers are good guys, guys like me, guys who wouldn't be misogynistic assholes. It seems that was just wishful thinking.

Here's a great cracked article with links to some other interesting sites.

I'm really pretty bummed about this problem. A a geek and a gamer I personally want to see more women sharing in my interests. I want to see them encouraged. Not threatened with rape and murder. The fuck.
    I like video games and used to play quite a lot of them. But yes, the gaming world is insanely misogynistic. It's full of men saving the day and women being reduced to basically trophies or damsels. It's very rare for a hugely popular game to feature a female character rescuing men. Some games now have a female character who is a playable alternative, but never the main character.

And GTA is a huge example of this. I wanna love that franchise because they're such well designed games. But the misogyny in those games just disgusts me to a point where I don't enjoy the games. I read recently that some people were dissatisfied with the new GTA and wanted to be able to kidnap a girl, tie her up in the basement, and rape her over and over and watch her tears. I know most gamers are not like that, but plenty are misogynistic and it's a HUGE put-off for lots of women. And video games have gone relatively untouched when it comes to feminism, as compared with other things like music and film. It's gonna be a long time before this changes.

Truth is, historically video game nerds were guys who couldn't get girls. Those kinds of guys ended up being super creepy and shit. I think that still permeates the culture, even though more and more "normal" people play video games nowadays.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

The GTA franchise is one of my favourite things in the world. But an important thing to always keep in mind is that the GTA world is a joke, a parody, an intentionally fucked-up fantasy. Is it a misogynistic world? Probably. But it's also a world full of violent sociopaths. It glorifies car chases, shoot-outs, explosions and murder. It is pure escapist entertainment. You're not supposed to like these people or approve of anything they do. If these people didn't treat women badly they would be acting out of character. But when you read between the lines the GTA games often offer a lot of great social commentary in the form of satire. Weasel News is a particular favourite of mine, an obvious parody of Fox News. I actually believe GTA promotes a lot of good values, just not on the surface. It's also worth noting that a lot of the awful people depicted in the GTA franchise do get what's coming to them.

Here's a great example of what's really depressing me at the moment.

Well with GTA you can't possibly think they are encouraging mysogyny, its a part of the whole criminal thing. Though I haven't played GTA since Vice City.

I was more bothered by the Miranda character in Mass Effect, not sure why. Thart they made up a paper thin scifi excuse to have the standard bazooka boob woman video games have used since Natalya in Goldeneye? Its also weird because finding video game characters sexy is like finding a cartoon sexy, and yes I will judge you if you admit to that. On a side note, I find the sheer frequency of Australian accents in video games a little weird.

As for gamers, well I recently got back into video games but man... gamers really come off as youtube commenters. :/

But we should recognize that people who comment stuff or send threats etc. are not representative of a majority. On the other hand, gamers are why xbox gold membership and online multiplayer just don't tempt me. I just wanna smoke a joint with some relaxed people and stop a covenant invasion. I miss playing on the same tv screen, I want more games to do that. I like to pretend the problem is that the majority of gamers are just spoiled teenagers.

Speaking of my newfound old man conservative streak, an indie gamer developer released a game called SimGame developer on steam for 8$. They also released a cracked version of the game on a torrent site as an experiment. You can read about it here:
    http://www.uproxx.com/gammasquad/201...-piracy-stats/

Less than 1% of players paid for it. Which is appalling.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman View Post
    I miss playing on the same tv screen, I want more games to do that.
    Play Resident Evil 6 and Borderlands 2. I greatly enjoyed playing both of those splitscreen with a friend. I really think you might love Borderlands 2 as much as I do. Which is a lot.

In an effort not to derail my own thread, both those franchises are quite good about having very strong female characters.

Also, Per, you really missed out by not playing GTA after Vice City. Both San Andreas and GTA 4 were honestly amazing. I haven't played GTA 5 yet because the timing is not quite right for me, but I'm ridiculously excited by it.

That SimGame experiment was fantastic. I love the way they made their point a part of the game itself. I'm a little torn though. On one hand, I feel like it doesn't make sense to expect people to pay for something if they can get it for free. I wish more people would see the value in rewarding people for making shit you like but I just don't know if that's realistic. On the other hand, I really hate convoluted anti-piracy measures that make it more difficult for me to play a game I bought legally. But that does seem to be the necessary path, unfortunately.

I haven't caught up on everything in this thread, but misogyny in video game and comic type circles blows my MIND. I'd be readily accepted, with open arms, by pretty much anyone as a nerd, but my friend who watches more cartoons, reads more comics, and plays more video games than I ever will would probably be shot down left and right. If you're a woman who can't name every X-Men ever, you're not really a comic book fan.
    Last edited by WebDudette; 09-28-2013 at 04:01 AM.
    I wrote a four word letter.