Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The human connection to animals

Hybrid View

Default The human connection to animals

How does it make sense to feel or understanding the feeling of having an emotional connection to a pet, but thinking it's okay to choose to eat animals for food?

Just a thought from a vegetarian...
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

Thumbs down Sin

Surfers sometimes get eaten by sharks. I like to eat meat to keep me healthy. Sorry, to all animals and especially my lovely pets.

because some things I have emotions for and some things I don't.

I don't think you ever gave me a straight answer when I asked how you can rationalize being vegetarian and not vegan.
    Last edited by WebDudette; 06-30-2013 at 07:48 PM.
    I wrote a four word letter.

Quote Originally Posted by WebDudette View Post
    because some things I have emotions for and some things I don't.

I don't think you ever gave me a straight answer when I asked how you can rationalize being vegetarian and not vegan.
    First of all, I don't have any problem admitting that I lack the conviction to go full vegan.

With that said, the main point I want to stress is that I believe that vegetarianism is a very distinct line that you can draw where you can truthfully say you are doing your part to prevent animal cruelty. By being a vegetarian, you are committing to a lifestyle that, if embraced by all of society, would result in the eventual end of all preventable animal cruelty. Once everyone accepts the principal that all animals have the right to life, society will move towards eliminating preventable animal cruelty altogether.

By being a vegetarian, I am not supporting any industries in which animals will die simply because of the very nature of that industry. Egg-laying chickens may die because of poor conditions at farms due to lax regulations, but still, there is a crucial difference between supporting such a farm and the beef industry.

To be honest, the principal behind your question is one that I often wonder when I meet someone who refuses to eat veal but eats other meat. In that situation, I think it's safe to say that this person's actions are contradicting their stated beliefs.
    Last edited by bighead384; 06-30-2013 at 09:27 PM.

Also: Imagine if a really rich person paid another person that they trust to be a vegetarian for the rest of their life on their behalf. Just so they can continue to eat meat while feeling like they've done their part to prevent animal cruelty.

Lol.

I'm actually eating only vegan this week as a sort of trial run. I would like to become vegan when i finally move out.

I think there's even less conviction for me to go vegan, as farms here are definitely not as industrialised as those in the US. But I still feel guilt, as still, animals still suffer (if more indirectly). I'm starting to sound like I'm pushing my views now, but I'm not. I really couldn't care what people choose to eat, so long as they don't care what I choose to eat.

And basically, people don't think of cows/pigs/sheep/chickens etc. and think "awh, I'd love one of those for a pet". People have a pretty impressive ability to draw lines between different species. Despite pigs being just as intelligent as dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    First of all, I don't have any problem admitting that I lack the conviction to go full vegan.
    I think you can answer a lot of your own questions by looking at this and maybe you'll realize that you to are also a hypocrite.

As for the thread, I don't think I'd have any problem eating cat, dog, or even human under the right circumstances*. I do think it's a little silly that people will eat beef, but not canine or something, but it's understandable.

*If someone signed a waiver saying they would like to be eaten when they die and everything was going to be done safely, I would eat a person for sure.
    I wrote a four word letter.

I feel as though I offered up a pretty clear distinction that has apparently been ignored.

Living a life in which you do not support industries that directly kill animals is very clear distinction. This is not an abstract concept. I feel as though there's an attempt here to equate vegetarians to a person who does good when it's convenient, but has no conviction when the slightest temptation is present. That's a false equivocation. Vegetarians may not be following their beliefs about animal cruelty to it's absolute logical conclusion, but it's rather disingenuous to act as though this is comparable to some schmuck who decides he'll only do good when it's convenient for him. This is because vegetarians have committed to a distinct cause that is not flexible or abstract: not supporting industries that intentionally kill animals.

Why do you think so many people are vegetarian but not vegan? It's because of thoughts like the ones I've expressed. To not understand this, you'd basically have to believe that all vegetarians are incapable of understanding moral philosophy.
    Last edited by bighead384; 07-01-2013 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by E13 View Post
    Surfers sometimes get eaten by sharks. I like to eat meat to keep me healthy. Sorry, to all animals and especially my lovely pets.
    How many pets have you had?

I do not have a problem with eating meat, but I do avoid commercial mass-produced shit. I almost never eat at McDonalds, and when I eat in restaurants, I usually order vegetarian dishes. At home, I rarely eat meat, besides the occasional tuna and the occasional klobasa/kielbasa. I basically eat meat when I'm being served food by other people, and most people I know go for very natural ingredients, and get their food/meat from local farms or similar. I don't think it's wrong to kill particular kinds of animals for meat - but I care that the animal got a somewhat decent life first. I respect my friends who are vegetarian - it takes conviction and work - but I don't feel the need to be. Maybe if I still lived in the US, where most meat is mass-produced from shitty farms where animals are treated like absolute shit, I'd really consider it... but I'm less worried about that here.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk