Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 46

Thread: The human connection to animals

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    18,053


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MOTO13 View Post
    You know what I have noticed? I have never known a vegetarian that actually performs physical work for a living. I have known several vegheads and all were fairly weak physically. They always seemed like they ran out of energy easily. None stayed vegtableheads btw. The few I did know, did it because of a girl.
    That actually follows - people with higher education and thus more intelligence don't tend to do physical labor for work because they're smart enough to get better jobs. Most vegetarians I know are rather intelligent people

    Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    Do you have an idea how drastically animal cruelty would be reduced if everyone stopped supporting industries that intentionally kill animals?

    I don't mean to be rude, but I feel like y'all are carrying out this conversation without acknowledging that just because it weakens your argument. Seriously...the difference would be...astronomical. Yet, you're all acting as though it's a situation where....eh cruelty is happening either way, so it's all the same. Don't at least see how this could be viewed as an annoying excuse to someone who is a vegetarian? It's like you're creating a nice little win-win for yourselves.

    I'm at work, I'll try to get back to some other posts more directly.
    Do you have any idea how drastically the environment would be helped (including animals!) if everyone stopped driving cars and started biking or taking public transportation??

    The point is: even though a bunch of progressive-minded folks are doing so, the majority isn't going to change. I haven't owned a car in 3 years and therefore my ecological footprint is a lot smaller, but I don't bug other people about it.

    Quote Originally Posted by MOTO13 View Post
    Plus, you fucking vegan assholes are eating the shit that MAKES OXYGEN and consumes CO2. You know, that stuff we need to breathe and not suffocate. Jerks.
    And you eat the animals that poop in the soil to make the plants healthy so we can breathe! Jerks.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

    I do not smoke and do not do drugs

    I just do bumpin in my trunk

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,125


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
    That actually follows - people with higher education and thus more intelligence don't tend to do physical labor for work because they're smart enough to get better jobs. Most vegetarians I know are rather intelligent people
    I am going to assume you are joking regarding the correlation between education and intelligence taken as a whole. Because this is one of the most ridiculous statements ever posted. Most vegans I knew shit about every 45 minutes, had no stamina and looked like the wind could knock them over. And as far as intelligent...how dumb to you need to be to not like a big fat steak? Ohhh, no thanks, I'd rather have that stick and a handful of pine nuts please.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Cascadian Exile
    Posts
    19,606


    Default

    You know what I hate? Hearing people's opinions about other people's diets. Its obnoxious. Like someone explaining a dream they had (fyi everyone hates your dream stories and vacation photos) or people arguing the virtues of Man U vs. Man City.

    I also hate the following "debates":
    Religion vs. Atheism (turns out you're either morally superior to everyone, or smarter than everyone depending on which side of the debate you fall on. The stronger your opinion correlates to how much of the opposite you are of both.)

    Male circumcision vs Male not circumcision (Pointless, and we're all tired of penile insecurity.)

    Breast-feeding in Public (people should be less whiney about gross mom-tits, until we ban loud motorcycles we have no right to discuss banning anything else. Obnoxiously loud motorcycles are something we can all agree on.)

    Politics (if you start a political debate and open with: "Well I think...." Stop yourself you're not going to say anything interesting and its probably been said 1 billion times)

    Give me a day, I'll think of plenty more.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,125


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman View Post
    Obnoxiously loud motorcycles are something we can all agree on.)
    Only if they are your typical gay ass Harley poser bikes.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    18,053


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MOTO13 View Post
    I am going to assume you are joking regarding the correlation between education and intelligence taken as a whole. Because this is one of the most ridiculous statements ever posted. Most vegans I knew shit about every 45 minutes, had no stamina and looked like the wind could knock them over. And as far as intelligent...how dumb to you need to be to not like a big fat steak? Ohhh, no thanks, I'd rather have that stick and a handful of pine nuts please.
    Damn, you keep track of how often people you don't respect poop... that's not insane or anything. It also sounds like you're confusing "vegan" for "thyroid disease".

    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman View Post
    You know what I hate? Hearing people's opinions about other people's diets. Its obnoxious. Like someone explaining a dream they had (fyi everyone hates your dream stories and vacation photos) or people arguing the virtues of Man U vs. Man City.
    I hate listening to people's dreams. It's like flipping through a stack of photos. If I'm not in any of them, and nobody's having sex, I just don't care.

    I also hate the following "debates":
    Religion vs. Atheism (turns out you're either morally superior to everyone, or smarter than everyone depending on which side of the debate you fall on. The stronger your opinion correlates to how much of the opposite you are of both.)

    Male circumcision vs Male not circumcision (Pointless, and we're all tired of penile insecurity.)

    Breast-feeding in Public (people should be less whiney about gross mom-tits, until we ban loud motorcycles we have no right to discuss banning anything else. Obnoxiously loud motorcycles are something we can all agree on.)

    Politics (if you start a political debate and open with: "Well I think...." Stop yourself you're not going to say anything interesting and its probably been said 1 billion times)

    Give me a day, I'll think of plenty more.
    Some of those can be interesting if you're discussing them with an intelligent, respectable person who is able to keep a level head and exchange ideas. Except male circumcision. That's never worth discussing. But the rest of them are only worthwhile like 0.1% of the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

    I do not smoke and do not do drugs

    I just do bumpin in my trunk

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,125


    Default

    I don't confuse things...ever. Also, hang around a friggin vegetarian sometime, they poop a lot. Plus, they just smell odd in general.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Transmetropolitan
    Posts
    6,452


    Default

    Nah, male circumcision is totally worth discussing. We had a long discussion at work about what we plan to do with our children, what we are, if we care, and explained the ridiculousness of being upset by uncircumcised dicks to the girls.
    I wrote a four word letter.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Winnipeg/The GTA
    Posts
    5,784


    Default

    Morality is never a concern for me at the dinner table. I can't say I approve of shark hunting practices for only their fins, or how Foie Gras is made, yet if I was offered to try them, i'd probably do so without hesitation.

    I also don't think the notion that some people will eat a steak, yet be revolted at the idea of cooking a dog or cat, is necessarily silly. Cultural history is a major influence here - and can't be simply dismissed as "hypocrisy" with a slight of hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gabel
    Adrenaline carried one last thought to fruition.
    Let this be the end.
    Let this be the last song.
    Let this be the end.
    Let all be forgiven.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,135


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jacknife737 View Post
    Morality is never a concern for me at the dinner table. I can't say I approve of shark hunting practices for only their fins, or how Foie Gras is made, yet if I was offered to try them, i'd probably do so without hesitation.
    The difference here, and I think it matters, is that most sharks are endangered species. Ducks or geese are bred for their liver.

    The problem with Foie gras is much more similar to breeding chicken in tiny boxes than to shark finning.


    PS : I find it extremely sad that you never tried Foie Gras. I am eating some right now sitted on my baby seal skin sofa with my polar bear fur coat.
    Last edited by Harleyquiiinn; 07-04-2013 at 11:37 PM.
    ___________________________________________

    All the Beautiful Things you do

    Respect my authoritah !

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    9,927


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    Yet, you're all acting as though it's a situation where....eh cruelty is happening either way, so it's all the same.
    No. They're basically saying we meat-eaters don't pretend to give a fuck. You vegetarians pretend to give a fuck but obviously don't really because if you did you'd go all the way with it and become vegan. As you say, it's not "all the same", but you vegetarians do love to draw fairly arbitrary lines of distinction and then act superior. I think that a lot of us meat-eaters feel that if we decided that eating meat is wrong we'd go all the way and become vegan, because if it's wrong then it's really fucking wrong, right?

    So basically, I eat meat and directly contribute to animal-murder or whatever. But I don't believe that what I'm doing is wrong, so worse case scenario is that I'm just ignorant. You don't eat meat because you're all warm and fuzzy for the soft and furries. You think animal exploitation is wrong. Yet, by not being vegan you directly support that which you consider to be evil. This makes you immoral.

    Don't think that by not eating meat you're not supporting the killing of animals. They're killed for plenty of other reasons. Do you wear fur? Probably not. Howabout leather though? Yeah, I bet you got some leather, don't you? Only buy vegan shoes from now on and then maybe I'll start to respect your beliefs.

    I also love how you only seem to think killing the animals is wrong. I'd say being kept alive in torturous conditions is far worse. Following a proper scale, I'd say you should first stop consuming dairy/eggs. Then move on to not eating meat. Every time you enjoy a nice glass of milk you're contributing to more suffering than me enjoying my succulent medium-rare steak.

    Quote Originally Posted by nieh View Post
    Killing things in order to survive is something that pretty much everything (except for things that get all their energy from the sun) does in nature. Also, plants don't like being eaten either so only sticking to them doesn't really make you any better. Countless plant species have been observed showing defense mechanisms and reacting to being eaten. Some will respond to being eaten by an insect by releasing a chemical into the air that attracts larger, carnivorous insects in order to save it. But because their reactions aren't immediately obvious to humans (they can't run, they don't make loud squealing sounds and they don't have cute little faces) no one gives a shit about eating them.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/22/science/22angi.html
    Yeah I always enjoy that argument. It's basically impossible for us to survive without constantly killing something. The distinction between plants and animals reeks of hubris to me.

    Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    How does it make sense to feel or understanding the feeling of having an emotional connection to a pet, but thinking it's okay to choose to eat animals for food?

    Just a thought from a vegetarian...
    If you had more iron in your diet your thoughts might make more sense.

    Seriously though, that's a fucking stupid question. I can love an animal. I do not love all animals. I can eat an animal. I do not eat all animals. Such a fucking stupid question. I'm actually bothered by how fucking stupid that question was.

    Something else to consider. Let's use cows for this. If we all stopped eating beef, drinking milk, making things from leather and so on, what would actually happen to cows as a species? Outside of India they'd go fucking extinct in no time at all. They only exist because we find them useful. Perhaps we treat them cruelly, but if we didn't use them they wouldn't even exist.

    My friend, who I currently live with, is pescatarian or whatever they call it. Basically a vegetarian who also eats fish. He has the best argument ever for his dietary choice. He will only eat things he could kill himself. He couldn't bring himself to kill a cow, or a chicken, or a pig or whatever. But he could kill a fish. And so he eats fish. I love his way of thinking. He's not basing his choice on some intellectual philosophy. He's not justifying his choice either. He's simply being true to himself. I really love it. I suppose I follow this path myself because I'm fairly sure I could kill cows, pigs etc. but I've mostly become a pescatarian myself for now because it's simpler for meal sharing and because I love fish anyway and meat is expensive. I treat meat as a rare treat these days, which is probably what it will become for most people in the future due to the inefficiency of this food source and the growing human population.

    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman View Post
    Male circumcision vs Male not circumcision (Pointless
    You didn't catch that as you wrote it, did you?

    But yeah, agree with the general concept of pointless arguments. I may take part in them from time to time simply for entertainment value, but I can't deny they're pointless.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •