Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek

Default Star Trek

So I am almost finished watching all of The Original Series right now. I've already seen the original Motion Picture, Wrath of Khan, and Search for Spock. I'm just wondering what any other Star Trek fans think I should watch next. I figured I should probably watch the fourth, fifth, and sixth movies next, but what should I start after that? Do I go straight into the Next Generation or do I watch Star Trek Generations as sort of a segue into that? After that, in which order should I watch the rest of everything? Or am I over-thinking it?

EDIT: And do I REALLY need to watch Deep Space Nine?
    Quote Originally Posted by pyro offspring View Post
    is it true that obama may legaliz it?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post

EDIT: And do I REALLY need to watch Deep Space Nine?
    What the FUCK is this shit?

Along with Per I'm pretty sure I'm the biggest trekkie here and DS9 was, by far, my favourite Trek show. If I remember correctly Per will also back me up on this.

DS9 had the best writing, the best acting, the best characters, the best story arcs...I don't know if there's anything they didn't have the best of. DS9 took me from being a casual watcher of occasional Star Trek episodes to being a proper trekkie.

Did you, perhaps, mean to actually ask if you really have to watch Voyager? Because that would be a fair and understandable question, seeing how Voyager basically lacked everything that DS9 had in abundance. Oh, I still love it, because I'm obsessed with Star Trek. But I could understand anyone being reticent regarding it. But DS9? It's not just the best Trek show (post original series), it's one of the best television shows ever made. It was, in true Trek fashion, very ahead of its time. My god, man. Almost every single character was a fucking delight and cast/played to perfection. The supporting characters in particular have possibly never been equalled in anything else I've ever seen. Quark and his brother Rom, and Quark's relationship with Odo. Garak the tailor/spy/assassin and his relationship with Bashir. Gul Dukat and his relationships with Kira and Sisko. Weyoun. Oh, Weyoun.

Why do you feel negatively about DS9?

But anyway, to answer your question, you can basically just watch everything in the order it was released.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

The only episodes of Star Trek I've ever watched were from Deep Space Nine. And that means DS9 is the best one, obviously. Because I've seen some of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Season 4, episode 6. You know you want to watch it.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

Mother. Fucker. I actually stopped watching DS9 halfway into the first season. I figured it suffered from TNG syndrome and doesn't get good for a while, but I just couldn't do it after watching other shows pile up unwatched around it.

Now I have to go back.

And Thomas - I would watch TNG starting with season 2. Just ignore the first season completely. I say this as a fan - it is awful.
    Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.

To be fair, when I re-watch DS9 I usually skip the first 2 or 3 seasons so I can't really say I remember those too well. It's not that they're bad, it's just that the characters and the overall narrative of the universe develops so much that it's hard to go all the way back. So, if I'm being completely honest, I have to say my huge praise for the show can only truly be applied to season 4 onwards because I haven't seen the earlier seasons recently enough to give a valid opinion.

I was just looking up something about the show and discovered it was the most commercially successful Trek show in terms of vhs/dvd sales. I was pleasantly surprised by that. I always thought DS9 was under-appreciated, particularly by actual Trek fans, but perhaps this is not the case.

I also saw a nice quote from Ronald D Moore, writer for TNG and DS9 and creator of the re-imagined BSG:

I think Deep Space [Nine] was the show that really took Star Trek as far as you could take it. You have the original series which is a sort of a landmark, it changes everything about the way science fiction is presented on television, at least space-based science fiction. Then you have Next Generation which, for all of its legitimate achievements is still a riff on the original. It's still sort of like, ok, it's another star ship and it's another captain it's different but it's still a riff on the original. Here comes Deep Space [Nine] and it just runs the table in a different way. It just says ok, you think you know what Star Trek is, let's put it on a space station, and let's make it darker. Let's make it a continuing story, and let's continually challenge your assumptions about what this American icon means. And I think it was the ultimate achievement for the franchise. Personally, I think it's the best of all of them, I think it's an amazing piece of work.

Ron got it.

1 members appreciate this post.

I probably got it confused with Voyager. Either way, my plan is to watch EVERYTHING, so I won't be skipping seasons. Thanks for the input, though!
    Quote Originally Posted by pyro offspring View Post
    is it true that obama may legaliz it?

A few things.

1. Season 1 of TNG is atrocious, its a pity you're skipping nothing. TNG s1 will make TOS feel brisk and well paced. But if you mst watch s1, treat yourself to Wil Wheaton's reviews of Season 1 episodes:
    http://www.aoltv.com/bloggers/wil-wheaton/
    They make that season much more tolerable.

2. After a second run through of star trek with Maartje, I really noticed a lot of the cracks in the DS9 armor that I had glossed over previously. But since you've presumably never seen DS9, all I can say is you're in for a wild ride. I think it was either the s4 or s5 cliffhanger that made that the longest summer. PiB nailed it though. Ds9's cast is far and away the best. They will absolutely grow on you. Especially those talkative Cardassians.

But honestly I'm Voyager guy. It has the best stories, a great core cast and a nice ark. (The final episode is unfortunate. Robert Hewitt Wolfe ruins everything).

But really after you finish TOS its all uphill from there.

As for the movies. You'll want to watch Generations after s1 of ds9 I believe. And First Contact after s4 of Ds9. Nemesis you should watch when you've finished Voyager. And Insurrection doesn't matter time wise.

And definitely save Star Trek 2009 for last. It'll blow your mind how different that movie is when you understand the references.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    It just says ok, you think you know what Star Trek is, let's put it on a space station, and let's make it darker. Let's make it a continuing story, and let's continually challenge your assumptions about what this American icon means. And I think it was the ultimate achievement for the franchise. Personally, I think it's the best of all of them, I think it's an amazing piece of work.
    I was kind of put off by the fact it's taking place in a space station and haven't been able to get myself to watch it because of that one shallow reason.

But if it's a continuing story and darker I might give it a shot. Cool story arcs > episodic stuff.

Can't help with the OP's question though. I'm not that much of a trekkie to recommend anything (haven't even watched TOS ). TNG, Voyager and Enterprise I've seen fully, also some of the movies.
    Last edited by Chainsaw; 07-08-2013 at 03:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw View Post
    I was kind of put off by the fact it's taking place in a space station and haven't been able to get myself to watch it because of that one shallow reason.

But if it's a continuing story and darker I might give it a shot. Cool story arcs > episodic stuff.

Can't help with the OP's question though. I'm not that much of a trekkie to recommend anything (haven't even watched TOS ). TNG, Voyager and Enterprise I've seen fully, also some of the movies.
    Being set on a station was a great strength of the show. When trouble occurred they couldn't simply fly away from it. It made things tense. I can see why it could put you off initially, but trust me, it's awesome. If you've watched all of TNG, Voyager and Enterprise you owe it to yourself to watch DS9 and I think you'll love it.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman View Post
    But honestly I'm Voyager guy. It has the best stories, a great core cast and a nice ark.
    We need to have a really long, really awesome chat/argument sometime.

The concept for Voyager was great. It allowed them to recreate some of the feel of ToS, really venturing alone where no one had gone before kind of stuff. This also meant that the vast majority of the enormous established Trek universe was unavailable to them. A Trek show without Klingons? And no, Torres doesn't count. So I feel it was a big gamble, and one that didn't pay off as well as we might have hoped. Most of the characters were simply dull. I think this was a combination of some rather uninspired writing at times and unfortunate casting. While none of the actors were bad they rarely managed to breathe any real life or charm into the characters. I just didn't care about them. The notable exception, of course, is the Doctor who was as good as any Trek character ever. And in later seasons Voyager really found its stride and I did end up greatly enjoying it. Well anyway, I'll stop rambling in Thomas' thread.