Thread: The Borgias are DEAD

Default The Borgias are DEAD

Just learned that Showtime has chosen not to renew this show for a fourth season. The fourth season was always intended to be the final, so to end now just seems ridiculous. While it wasn't the greatest show ever made it was solidly good throughout, with moments of greatness.

Pretty bummed about this. I had been rewatching the first few seasons of The Tudors which got me in the mood for more Borgias. I had previously thought that Showtime was pretty safe, in the same way HBO can be trusted not to end things too soon. Showtime disappointed me in the past when they failed to renew Brotherhood but I had to admit that the show had been floundering. I felt it could be saved but I understood why they chose to end it. But this, I don't understand this decision at all. I saw one possible explanation saying that the show was too expensive but I'm not really willing to accept that. Just make it cheaper. It can be done.

Anyone else like this show?
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

Sad news, I also like the show. It didn't have the budget of something like Game of Thrones for example, but the writing was definetetly solid and the cast good.

Game of Thrones is a good comparison. Like you said, Borgias didn't cost anywhere near as much and yet it's almost as entertaining. Unfortunately Showtime does not have anywhere near as much money to be throwing around as HBO, though their monthly subscription price was about half that of HBO last I checked, so it's understandable that they can't push the boundaries the way HBO does. But why did Borgias need to be expensive at all, really? While I admittedly enjoyed the occasional battle scene and thought the cannons were awesome what I really liked were the sinister yet charming characters being all sinister and charming. Just give me more creepy/hot potential incest with Cesare and Lucrezia. And a lot more of Michelotto doing anything. Just increase the quantity of nude scenes ever so slightly and they wouldn't even need to spend money on costumes. I'm a genius!

Going back to Game of Thrones for a moment, when those shows first started around the same time I actually thought Borgias felt more like the Ice and Fire series than Game of Thrones did, in that it more effectively portrayed political subtlety and intrigue. And well, when you can have a Machiavellian story that actually has Machiavelli in it you've surely got something.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks