Thread: Marc Rude Artwork: Copyright or Controversy?

Default Marc Rude Artwork: Copyright or Controversy?

Here's a topic that I've never heard a definitive answer on; why was the artwork for The Offspring changed for the 1995 release? I'm new here, and I did a quick search for 'Marc Rude' on the forums, and didn't turn up much.

The first argument is that the artwork was so graciously violent that the band quietly changed the artwork for the re-release on Nitro. The other is that the Offspring wanted to avoid legal action by the use of the Xenomorph from the Alien series without permission. Though I guess it's not limited to these reasons; it could be that Dexter just wanted to change the artwork, or a mix of multiple reasons.

Personally, I think it's due to copyright reasons. With an underground LP released in limited quantities, who was there to be really offended? The original artwork was also shown alongside the re-release on the official website for the better part of the 90s. It was only later that we were supposed to believe that neither the original artwork and "Kill the President" didn't exist ("Kill the President" was actually still listed on the site as late as 2003). So what's the deal?

I read an interview with Noodles way back when and he was describing the original S/T artwork as 'not an Offspring record cover'.

Kill the President is a well-worn story - something about Dexter wanting to avoid strife from the FCC or somesuch. Nobody's ever denied it's existence.

I agree with Noodles I like the 1995 cover art better

I know we shouldn't be following what Wikipedia says, but it says that the album from 1989 was banned because of the cover and as a result, it was changed on the 1995 reissue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Off...)#Album_covers
    The founder of The Offspring Wikia, and looking for someone to help out, find out why at this thread.

Wikipedia is the only source that promotes the theory that the album was banned for it's original artwork, but absolutely no sources stand behind that idea. The original issue of The Offspring on Nemesis Records was not one that you would find in your average department store.

Though the only evidence from the band seems to point to the fact that they themselves wanted it changed. Back when the Offspring was first getting on their feet, they were trying to create an image for themselves in the punk community, and Marc Rude (already an established hardcore punk artist), helped them achieve that. Though after they broke out in the mainstream with Smash, they may have opted to go with a more fitting illustration for the album. I'm sure the original would have caused a stir if it was re-released on Nitro, but at this stage, I doubt Dexter would have given a fuck. Artists have gotten away with worse artworks.

And yes, the removal of 'Kill the President' was a voluntary process, but there's no mention of it on the official Offspring site; even iTunes at least mentions its removal.
    Last edited by Mega Man; 07-14-2013 at 09:41 AM.