Quote Originally Posted by Static_Martyr View Post
One of the stories I linked to included a drug dealer who killed two people and was not even *charged* with homicide because he plead SYG and prosecutors accepted it
Yeah, that was one of the main reasons I concluded that law enforcement, prosecutors and judges all need to get on the same page with this or else scrap the concept of SYG providing immunity from prosecution and just take every case remotely like this to a trial by jury.

I can't help but feel that such instances are proof that the law (at the very least) needs to be reexamined.
Completely agree.

The way I see it, if someone deliberately tries to abuse the law to their personal gain, and they succeed, then that's an example of a law with a loophole that can be abused. And that is a bad thing.
It is a bad thing. But if you throw out every law with the potential to be abused you're going to be throwing out approximately all the laws. Let's move away from killing for a moment. What if I decided I wanted to get you sent to prison for rape? All I'd have to do is get someone to consensually have sex with you then claim it was non-consensual. People get falsely accused of rape all the time. People have served years in prison before being exonerated. Should we discard all laws prohibiting rape? People have been framed for murder too. Should laws prohibiting murder be abolished? Yes, the abuse of the law is a bad thing. Nobody is going to disagree with that. But I hope we can also all agree that throwing out all laws open to abuse is not a practical solution. Maybe SYG does need to go, but simply showing it is open to abuse is not a good enough reason on its own unless you're willing to discard every single law that has ever been abused.