Thread: Is anyone here a Nihilist?

Default Is anyone here a Nihilist?

Just curious.

As you settled into adult life, did your experience make you more or less nihilistic?
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

I've always been pretty nihilistic and it has only increased with age.

Based on all the bitter elderly people I've known I expect it to just grow and grow and grow.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

1 members appreciate this post.

Erm. Well. Hmm. That would really depend on what kind of nihilism you have in mind, there.
    And as my studying days are well behind me, let's look it up in the dictionary:

Nihilism

1. a complete denial of all established authority and institutions
    2. philosophy: an extreme form of scepticism that systematically rejects all values, belief in existence, the possibility of communication, etc
    3. a revolutionary doctrine of destruction for its own sake
    4. the practice or promulgation of terrorism

The last one referring to late 19th C explosive Russian activities, I believe we can safely rule it out as it doesn't apply anymore in today's context... or does it?

So, one by one:

Do I completely deny the legitimicy of our institutions?
    - Oh yes. This so-called democracy is a farce, and the old guard will die rather than step down. I can't wait for a complete and shattering upheaval. We're being shafted dry. If I had any talent I'd write a young woman's manifesto. Enough is enough!

Am I a skeptic?
    Yes, I am. Doubt is the foundation of a balanced thought process. But I wouldn't go so far as to say there is no attainable truth. Although... *shrugs* I really have no idea.

Am I a destructive revolutionary?
    I would be, only I'm much lacking in moral fibre. Revolutionaries are made of harder stuff. Destruction for its own sake? I'm too much of a (day)dreamer to be involved in that...

"I'd rather tear things down than build them up, it's easier that way"
    10 nihilistic points for those who find out the track!

But your original question was, has my experience of life nurtured this nihilistic sentiment in me?
    That's a tough one. I suppose it has, to some extent. But I've never felt at home with authority, of any kind. So it's also latent...
    Although, as I said, I'm more of a backstage revolutionary. And what kind of a revolutionary is that, I ask you...

Quote Originally Posted by Duskygrin View Post

Am I a skeptic?
    Yes, I am. Doubt is the foundation of a balanced thought process. But I wouldn't go so far as to say there is no attainable truth. Although... *shrugs* I really have no idea.
    I really enjoyed your entire post but this section in particular pleased me. I often wonder if shrugging and admitting ignorance as you did is itself an expression of the highest attainable truth.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks