Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Counseling pyschologists are full of crap.

Default Counseling pyschologists are full of crap.

Not totally, I just needed an attention grabbing title.

Basically, through personal experience and stories from others, I have become very cynical about these counselors. It seems to me that psychiatrists rarely give insight that is superior to the advice that any other decently perceptive person could offer. I've seen 3 or 4 different counselors at various points in my life, and my experience with all of them is that more often than not, they provide no real service other than giving me someone to talk to. That may have a value in and of itself, but it's a value that you could gain by talking to almost anyone.

Perhaps to some extent, counselors are doing more than I can perceive, but I would still say that the majority of the time counselors are no more capable of having the perceptiveness to pinpoint and solve problems than any decently bright person.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

I would have to agree. Psychiatrists, pscychologists etc...they are without a doubt right up there with palm reading, Ouji boards and Magic 8 balls. However, in your case, counseling couldn't hurt.

Yes, but every time somebody tells me he's taking a course with a shrink, he adds "He/she is positively MARVELLOUS. He/she's SUPERLATIVELY WONDROUS. He/she's the absolute BOMB."

Never do I hear "I'm seeing a psychologist, and he's a real twat."

I've finally figured it out: psychologists don't ruffle your feathers. They don't tell you in your face you're a goddamn stupid nuisance, a navel-gazer, a bloody idiot. No, they don't. They go so far as to pay you compliments.

Oh, and here's another thing I must point out: psychologists' fees are, to the best of my belief, the same as psychiatrists'. Only people prefer to go to a shrink rather than a psychologist, because the fees the former charges are tax-deductible*.
    Isn't life beautiful?

On top of that, I consider that unless you've lived through a trauma (rape, a lover's or relative's death, war... hell, I'll be magnanimous and even put "divorce" as a possible trauma) you don't really need to see a shrink. You just need to get a grip on yourself. Possibly you may need help, but unless you're so isolated that you have no friends and no family, surely SOMEONE near you can help.

*to the tune of 80%. Source: a friend.
    Last edited by Duskygrin; 07-16-2013 at 11:38 AM.

Psychological prostitution.

Quote Originally Posted by Duskygrin View Post
    Yes, but every time somebody tells me he's taking a course with a shrink, he adds "He/she is positively MARVELLOUS. He/she's SUPERLATIVELY WONDROUS. He/she's the absolute BOMB."

Never do I hear "I'm seeing a psychologist, and he's a real twat."
    ...that would be because if you're seeing a shitty psychologist, you stop seeing them :P You might not go back even a second time. I went to a university counselor, who I guess was a sort of therapist, regarding my sleep problems a few years ago. He was useless, so I only went twice.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Another thing: It seems that the scheduling for visits are strongly influenced by the counselors financial needs or even convenience.

I had a counselor who advised strongly against me coming in every other week as opposed to every week. Her reasoning was that counseling only works if done every week. Then summer rolled around, and she took like 7 or 8 weeks off for various reasons. So I guess her reasoning was garbage.

Also, why would a counselor ever be honest about one of their clients no longer needing to come in? It just means less money for them.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

I've had a couple really great pyschologist and some not good at all. That's why you switch pyschologist if you think that aren't doing any good for you.

I've always suspected them to not really be any more useful than talking to any other random stranger. Might as well strike up conversation in a bar, at least there's alcohol there.

That said, I may actually give it a try soon. I asked my GP for help with depression and anxiety and he wants me to talk to a therapist. I haven't called to make an appointment yet because, amusingly, picking up the phone to make the appointment causes me anxiety.

(rape, a lover's or relative's death, war... hell, I'll be magnanimous and even put "divorce" as a possible trauma)
    Divorce can be incredibly traumatic, particularly when you still love your partner but simply know the relationship has to end. Afterwards it certainly feels very similar to when someone has died.

One little thing I have to mention, a psychiatrist is a medical doctor while all the other professions being mentioned are not. This means that psychiatrists should always be afforded more respect because they are real doctors.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

Well, therapy takes time because, before a therapist can push you towards your desire's orientation, your desire has to show up a bit. And that can take a while.

About the psychologist, it is expected of him to be more acceptive than pedagogic towards the issues of the patients.

Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    a psychiatrist is a medical doctor while all the other professions being mentioned are not. This means that psychiatrists should always be afforded more respect because they are real doctors.
    I don't know about your country, but, here, real doctors are people with a doctorate's degree. Medics, dentists, etc. are traditionally referred to as "doctor", but it is only a habitual manner of speaking.

Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    Also, why would a counselor ever be honest about one of their clients no longer needing to come in? It just means less money for them.
    That's a matter of professional competence. Their primary commitment should be to provide a good service.

Only people prefer to go to a shrink rather than a psychologist, because the fees the former charges are tax-deductible
    And because (at least in my country) only medics can prescribe drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Preocupado View Post

I don't know about your country, but, here, real doctors are people with a doctorate's degree. Medics, dentists, etc. are traditionally referred to as "doctor", but it is only a habitual manner of speaking.
    Dentists are "doctors of dental surgery" and deserve, in my opinion, to be called doctor due to that and due to the amount of education and training required.

The point I was trying to make is that psychiatrists are medical doctors, just like those you would find working in a hospital, that just happen to specialize in psychiatry. Psychologists are not medical doctors. This is a significant difference that many people don't seem to understand.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks