Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How empathetic are you?

Hybrid View

Default How empathetic are you?

Let's find out.

Yes, obviously this only tests one facet of empathy, but still. It's an interesting test.

I scored 31. I found the ones I got wrong to be quite interesting though I can't say what they were without potentially giving away answers. Essentially I scored exceptionally well, which didn't surprise me as I've always known I'm good at reading people, but from the ones I got wrong it is quite clear I have a blindspot in one very specific area.

Post your results and discuss! You should probably take the test before reading any further since people are likely to discuss the answers. Unless nobody else finds this interesting. Which would be lame. Because it's totally interesting. No, really, it is.

Edit: It only takes a couple of minutes.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

Heh, I also got 31. Pretty good test, I'd say. I took an empathy test once before, but it was written. They gave situations and you had to choose how you'd feel or how you'd react or something, but that had too many "it depends" feelings for me. I think this test is better, though I got a very similar score on both. But I guess it depends on how well others do - perhaps many people score very high on this particular test.

Interesting to see my wrong answers, as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Quote Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
    I took an empathy test once before, but it was written. They gave situations and you had to choose how you'd feel or how you'd react or something, but that had too many "it depends" feelings for me.
    Agreed. Also, with those types of tests, I don't trust myself not to simply give what I feel is the "right" answer rather than giving a true answer. And by "right" I mean the answer which will score most highly. It's not that I want to cheat, it's more to do with that bias observed in psychology where subjects will try to behave in the way they think the researchers want them to. Anyway, point is, you really can't cheat with the eye test, accidentally or otherwise.

But I guess it depends on how well others do - perhaps many people score very high on this particular test.
    It said the average range, I think, is between 22-30. Anything above 30 and you're particularly empathetic, at least when it comes to reading eyes. Anything under 22 and you struggle in this area. Though I'm not sure if that was the average range for a male or both males and females combined.

Quote Originally Posted by _Lost_ View Post
    I got a 23. I'm surprised I got so many right, to be honest... I'm much better with body language than eyes.
    It did say that many people are surprised by how many they get right. I suppose people generally don't expect to be skilled at something they've never consciously practiced. Assuming most people don't consciously practice this.

Interesting to see my wrong answers, as well.
    Was there a theme at all? I'm clearly biased when it comes to seeing that people like me. I had trouble accurately identifying things like flirting, for example. This makes total sense with what I already knew about myself. It's really interesting though. Clearly I'm good at reading eyes, but when what I'm seeing doesn't match with a preconceived notion the preconceived notion wins out. I guess seeing isn't believing after all...
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

I got 21. I'm much better with body language and tone of voice than with just eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by nieh View Post
    I'm much better with body language and tone of voice than with just eyes.
    I would assume most people find body language and tone of voice easier than eyes, though I'm not certain what I'm basing that assumption on.

I also think it's easier to fake tone of voice and body language, so watching eyes can be a good way to get a read on someone who is actively trying to mislead you. But that's a whole other conversation I suppose.

I got 27.

There's a definitely a pattern for me. I got the pondering type of eyes wrong. I'm not sure how useful it is knowing when someone is in deep though so I'm cool with that.
    http://i.imgur.com/N1P65Gk.jpg

I'm most embarrassed by picking dominant when the eyes were friendly. That's almost the opposite answer.

The weird thing is I thought a lot about the type of eyes my dogs make. It ended up transferring very well to human eyes.
    Last edited by Jebus; 07-30-2013 at 03:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    Was there a theme at all? I'm clearly biased when it comes to seeing that people like me. I had trouble accurately identifying things like flirting, for example. This makes total sense with what I already knew about myself. It's really interesting though. Clearly I'm good at reading eyes, but when what I'm seeing doesn't match with a preconceived notion the preconceived notion wins out. I guess seeing isn't believing after all...
    I don't recall if there was a theme. But I'm totally with you on the latter half here. If someone's into me whom I'm not into, I never see it until it's blatantly pointed out to me. And when I'm into someone, I tend to ignore signs that they're NOT into me and believe they are. So yeah, I can read eyes, I guess, but when feelings are involved, all bets are off.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

I got a 23. I'm surprised I got so many right, to be honest... I'm much better with body language than eyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    Or what? Or you'll leave as soon as someone returns your rudeness and delete all your posts? I'm so scared.

I got a 22.

Ok...how in the fuck does this test have anything to do with empathy? It's a test to see if you can recognize the emotional state of a person based on their eyes. That ain't empathy. If this test indicates empathy, which it dosen't, a cross-eyed person or blind person (eyes jacked up physically) cannot receive empathy. Cause if this is a test of empathy, I got 30...seem reasonable to you?