Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 63

Thread: How much do you care about your contributions in your productive life?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    4,371


    Default How much do you care about your contributions in your productive life?

    I would say that compared to most, I care much less, although it's hard to definitively say that. I just don't really feel the need to do more than I am required. As someone who is quite nihilistic, I also find that my questions about meaning in life spill over into my productive life/motivation.

    Also, are you of the belief that people who don't put much in to their productive life are stigmatized unfairly? And do you feel that laborers are stigmatized as being unmotivated?
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    9,951


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    I just don't really feel the need to do more than I am required.
    I expect most people with relatively menial jobs feel exactly the same.

    Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    As someone who is quite nihilistic, I also find that my questions about meaning in life spill over into my productive life/motivation.
    I'm basically just killing time until time kills me.

    While I wait it is necessary for me to earn money. I find it logical to earn that money without putting in any more effort than necessary. I have simple needs and desires. I do not require much income. It would be illogical to go to great effort to earn large amounts of money I do not require.

    I believe that life is inherently meaningless. I've often considered suicide but so far I have concluded that we'll all be dead soon enough anyway. Might as well keep living as long as there's any fun to be found in doing so. And that, then, is the meaning I have found in life. Fun. Working hard is antithetical to my raison d'κtre.

    Fuck productivity. Fuck contributing. I have no desire to benefit capitalist society. I am a socialist. My values do not conform well to the society I live in. I am forced to be a part of that system but I will not embrace it. I will contribute as little as possible and be proud of it.

    Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    Also, are you of the belief that people who don't put much in to their productive life are stigmatized unfairly?
    To some degree. I believe some are misunderstood. Some are perhaps rightly considered lazy. Humanity seems to have a natural aversion to those we perceive as lazy. I rather like this as it shows an industry of spirit that we can all be proud of. We are a species driven to accomplish things. The problem, I find, is that many of us believe, correctly or incorrectly, that we cannot personally accomplish anything of value. Some of us, like myself, lack motivation for ideological reasons. I understand the natural aversion towards those we perceive as lazy, but I dislike the tendency to judge people without discovering why they do not attempt to be more productive.
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.” – Bill Hicks

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    4,371


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    I'm basically just killing time until time kills me.

    While I wait it is necessary for me to earn money. I find it logical to earn that money without putting in any more effort than necessary. I have simple needs and desires. I do not require much income. It would be illogical to go to great effort to earn large amounts of money I do not require.

    I believe that life is inherently meaningless. I've often considered suicide but so far I have concluded that we'll all be dead soon enough anyway. Might as well keep living as long as there's any fun to be found in doing so. And that, then, is the meaning I have found in life. Fun. Working hard is antithetical to my raison d'κtre.

    Fuck productivity. Fuck contributing. I have no desire to benefit capitalist society. I am a socialist. My values do not conform well to the society I live in. I am forced to be a part of that system but I will not embrace it. I will contribute as little as possible and be proud of it.
    This really resonated with me and this view closely approximates my own. For reasons like this, and as someone who has been considered by experts to have asperger's, I've considered suicide as well, BUT I am quite sure that I have concluded that I am much more content to live out my days regardless. In my experience working in the professional world, I experienced a lot of stupid assholes who are highly motivated at work. This has recently been pissing me off because I don't understand what motivates them. What sort of philosophy or values system leads one to believe that it doesn't much matter if you are a selfish, inconsiderate asshole but it's imperative that you put your soul into working a job that is largely repetitive, mind-numbing bullshit?
    Last edited by bighead384; 09-18-2013 at 10:30 PM.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,140


    Default

    I agree with you completely for a lot of jobs.

    But that's also why I am not working legal in a company. I would feel like a hamster running in a plastic wheel. And would do nothing.

    I do like that my job has a meaning. If I didn't know that what I do has direct consequences on someone else's life, I would probably not do it.
    ___________________________________________

    All the Beautiful Things you do

    Respect my authoritah !

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    18,068


    Default

    Many people seem to have the wrong reasons for wanting to "contribute to society". Tons of Americans think that if you're not working as hard as possible and earning as much money as possible, you're lazy and a bad person. Tons of Slovenes think it's not worth trying to find work unless you can get a "job", as in "employed", as in full-time with benefits, because this is apparently the point of working - security.

    Personally, I could never be motivated to work in a meaningless job. It's sick that this world creates more and more useless goods and services that serve no actual benefit, while things that actually matter get ignored because they can't generate as much profit. Profit and income matter way too much in this world and it makes me really sad.

    However, I do a job that I love. I feel very motivated to do a great job because I feel that I am helping people in a real way. And I also feel this limits my dating options, because I have turned people down before because they have no desire to work hard at something that truly helps people. This really matters to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

    I do not smoke and do not do drugs

    I just do bumpin in my trunk

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    9,951


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    This really resonated with me and this view closely approximates my own.
    Yeah, I assumed it would. That's why I bothered sharing.

    Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    What sort of philosophy or values system leads one to believe that it doesn't much matter if you are a selfish, inconsiderate asshole but it's imperative that you put your soul into working a job that is largely repetitive, mind-numbing bullshit?
    Capitalism.

    Try watching Doug Stanhope's stand-up No Refunds sometime. I think you'll enjoy some of it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
    I have turned people down before because they have no desire to work hard at something that truly helps people. This really matters to me.
    To use a cliche, I honestly think there are two types of people in this world. Those who inherently understand why helping others is important and those who do not. Everything else is details.
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.” – Bill Hicks

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,135


    Default

    If you don't try to do your best, why even bother? It astounds me that people even have this mentality. Can you always do your best? Probably not. But to purposely not try and achieve a goal to the best of your ability says a lot of you as a person. For those of you that feel life is inherently meaningless or your simply here for fun...you might as well go check out, cause you often get your dumb, lazy, waiting for the end ass in the way of others who have a grasp on reality. You may as well be wards of the state, because in the grand scheme, you really don't matter with that attitude. How do you think society and all the fun things you do came to be? Did a fucking alien drop shit on this planet for your personal pleasure. No. Somewhere along the way someone wanted better and worked for it. You are reaping the benefits of others hard work and sacrifice and contributing nothing. Take a look at the name of this site...you think the person(s) responsible for all this success were a lazy pricks like you? Doubtful. I like their music they worked/sacrificed for.
    Last edited by MOTO13; 09-19-2013 at 08:49 AM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Cascadian Exile
    Posts
    19,609


    Default

    I don't know Moto, your posts are usually subpar, why bother?

    I've never had a pointless job, shit jobs sure, but never pointless. And really, I just keep myself busy at work because it makes time go by faster and is satisfying. Truly the laziest reaction.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,135


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman View Post
    I don't know Moto, your posts are usually subpar, why bother?

    I've never had a pointless job, shit jobs sure, but never pointless. And really, I just keep myself busy at work because it makes time go by faster and is satisfying. Truly the laziest reaction.
    Lol. You reply like your high. Like it took all your effort to write 4 sentences. So basically, if I understand you correctly, you just keep busy looking enough to appear productive and this allows you to keep out of other peoples way. Excellent. The world needs human speed bumps.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    9,951


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman View Post
    And really, I just keep myself busy at work because it makes time go by faster and is satisfying.
    Yeah, that. I also tend to make a game out of it to keep myself entertained. Since I have to be there I'm going to make the best of it, obviously.

    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman View Post
    I don't know Moto, your posts are usually subpar, why bother?
    Because he honestly believes in what he's saying. He genuinely thinks he's doing us a favour by bestowing his wisdom upon us. Or something very much like that. His posts are subpar because of his personal limitations, but god dammit, the little guy is really trying.
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.” – Bill Hicks

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •