Thread: Legal Assistants

Default Legal Assistants

"Legal Assistant" is one of the most grossly underpaid occupations out there. Honestly, it pisses me off to see those assholes pay people a couple bucks more than a fast-food worker to do like 80% of what a paralegal does.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

Probably the reason why it is called assistant
    I guess a legal assistant does more secretarial work while a paralegal is more qualified in a certain field of the law. Thus more training - more money? Anyone?
    Last edited by EarY; 07-30-2013 at 10:58 PM.
    Turn the lights on.

Ah ah, I don't know exactly what the legal assistants you are mentionning do.

Every firm I worked in, the assistants were paid better than me. Which I considered normal because they were 50 and I was in my late 20s.

Also, they were all awesome because they knew procedure far better than me. And helped.

All the Beautiful Things you do

Respect my authoritah !

I was a bit drunk when I wrote this so I probably worded some things badly.

Basically, what I mean to say is, while the role of Legal Assistant varies greatly from firm to firm in terms of amount of responsibility, the wage is almost always very low. Maybe some firms recognize that their legal assistants do a tremendous amount and pay them accordingly, but based my experience, many firms get a shitload of work out of their legal assistant for basically McDonald's wages.
    Last edited by bighead384; 07-31-2013 at 12:30 PM.

Basically you're supposed to take charge of your own destiny. Don't like doing low paying jobs? Try to improve your situation. Jobs like being a legal assistant are fantastic because you're getting a lot more than just a paycheck. You're getting invaluable experience. Further your education while working jobs like this in a field relevant to your studies and then reap the benefits once you're fully qualified.

I've worked with people doing exactly this in the accounting field. They work a badly paid accounting assistant job while studying to become a CPA and then immediately land a good job as soon as they are qualified because they now have everything an employer is looking for.

I've watched friends do the same thing in IT. One of my friends worked his way up to running a whole department by starting at the bottom, making shitty money but learning from within how to actually run the department while simultaneously acquiring the formal qualifications required to do so and then getting promoted.

Again, these types of jobs may offer lower financial incentive than you might expect because they provide so much more than that. But if your intention is not to progress in this field and you find the pay to be inadequate just start looking for something else. Vacating the position will allow someone else to take it who may put it to better use.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    Basically you're supposed to take charge of your own destiny. Don't like doing low paying jobs? Try to improve your situation. Jobs like being a legal assistant are fantastic because you're getting a lot more than just a paycheck. You're getting invaluable experience. Further your education while working jobs like this in a field relevant to your studies and then reap the benefits once you're fully qualified.

I've worked with people doing exactly this in the accounting field. They work a badly paid accounting assistant job while studying to become a CPA and then immediately land a good job as soon as they are qualified because they now have everything an employer is looking for.

I've watched friends do the same thing in IT. One of my friends worked his way up to running a whole department by starting at the bottom, making shitty money but learning from within how to actually run the department while simultaneously acquiring the formal qualifications required to do so and then getting promoted.

Again, these types of jobs may offer lower financial incentive than you might expect because they provide so much more than that. But if your intention is not to progress in this field and you find the pay to be inadequate just start looking for something else. Vacating the position will allow someone else to take it who may put it to better use.
    I'm not fond of the idea that compensation should be less just because that position is a good resume builder. Why should an employer make extra profit through reduced wages just because that position might lead to something good?

I'm not sure I consider your response a proper justification. It may serve to encourage an individual who is actually in a position like this, but does it really justify it?
    Last edited by bighead384; 08-02-2013 at 12:27 PM.

I believe it does, yes. Much like being an intern or an apprentice.

Look at it this way. Your time and effort are valuable commodities, but so is the experience they are offering you.

You don't have to agree with me by any means, but you can see what I'm saying at least, right?
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

bighead, do you fucking understand anything? or ever even try to look at things from a different point of view or objectively?
    I wrote a four word letter.

Quote Originally Posted by WebDudette View Post
    bighead, do you fucking understand anything? or ever even try to look at things from a different point of view or objectively?
    The issue can be defined as whether or not a job should pay less because it is likely offer future career benefits, and that's what I'm commenting on. It's not like there's facts I'm twisting around or ignoring...I just don't agree with this particular justification. Or rather, I strongly lean towards disagreeing with it. Where the hell is this post coming from? If anything, it's you that isn't making sense here.
    Last edited by bighead384; 08-05-2013 at 09:45 AM.