Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 49

Thread: Disgusted

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    9,904


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Static_Martyr View Post
    the important thing is that you've found a way to feel superior to people you've never met.
    That's an unavoidable consequence of opening any web browser and visiting practically any website, surely? I can't provide a citation though, so you can go ahead and feel superior now. If that doesn't fully replenish your superiority tank you can always engage MOTO in yet another endless circlejerk. I'd probably avoid unprovoked insults though, particularly ones so blatantly hypocritical that they're unintentionally hilarious.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    18,020


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Static_Martyr View Post
    Well, the important thing is that you've found a way to feel superior to people you've never met.
    Not like you don't find yourself superior to all the people you encounter online who you consider "dumb" or "idiots", conspiracy theorists and the like. Hell, you recently compared religious people to people who don't believe in gravity. That's not condescending at all, is it.

    Yes, people who struggle to get food for their children while they go out and drink their money, take advantage of a family member, and other things Lost told me about when we chatted earlier, are "inferior", if that's the word you'd like to use. I wouldn't call them inferior, though. They're just drains on society and especially on everyone in their near vicinity.
    Last edited by Llamas; 07-31-2013 at 05:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

    I do not smoke and do not do drugs

    I just do bumpin in my trunk

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fuckin' Bible belt....
    Posts
    1,361


    Default

    That's an unavoidable consequence of opening any web browser and visiting practically any website, surely? I can't provide a citation though, so you can go ahead and feel superior now. If that doesn't fully replenish your superiority tank you can always engage MOTO in yet another endless circlejerk. I'd probably avoid unprovoked insults though, particularly ones so blatantly hypocritical that they're unintentionally hilarious.
    Of course. Because I used a word, I must be projecting, right? So would you mind telling me which words I am allowed to use or not use, in order for someone with such expertise in the subject as yours truly to not think of me as projecting?

    Not like you don't find yourself superior to all the people you encounter online who you consider "dumb" or "idiots", conspiracy theorists and the like. Hell, you recently compared religious people to people who don't believe in gravity. That's not condescending at all, is it.
    I find it ironic how quick you are to misrepresent my points in order to try and discredit me. I never compared "religious people" to those who don't believe in gravity; I compared *creationists* to people who don't believe in gravity, because both theories (gravity and evolution) are supported by large quantities of scientific evidence. See, now without even realizing it, you *yourself* have made an unfair equivocation between "religious people" and "creationists." Several of my friends (the ones I talk to on a daily basis) are non-creationist religious people, and they would beg to differ from your generalization. (See? I can do that, too.)

    I don't know why I bother defending myself against you, because you just kind of twist whatever I say to make me into a jerk. If that's how you feel, then fine, but let me know so I don't waste my time trying to genuinely communicate my thoughts to you.
    "I'm sorry
    For all the things that I never did
    For all the places I never was
    For all the people I never stopped
    But there was nothing I could do...
    "

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    9,904


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Static_Martyr View Post
    Of course. Because I used a word, I must be projecting, right? So would you mind telling me which words I am allowed to use or not use, in order for someone with such expertise in the subject as yours truly to not think of me as projecting?
    I have no idea what you're saying. Seriously, no idea at all.

    You rubbed me the wrong way when you launched an utterly unprovoked and unfair attack on llamas in this thread. Please don't try to pretend that you weren't attacking her with your comment. I understand now that you two have something of a feud going on so I'm probably going to just excuse myself from the...well, whatever this is. But the comment you directed at her in this thread was uncalled for and lame.

    Quote Originally Posted by Static_Martyr View Post
    you just kind of twist whatever I say to make me into a jerk.
    You basically made yourself look like a jerk in this thread without any help from anyone else. It happens. We all look like jerks sometimes. Best thing is to just take a deep breath and move on.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fuckin' Bible belt....
    Posts
    1,361


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    You rubbed me the wrong way when you launched an utterly unprovoked and unfair attack on llamas in this thread. Please don't try to pretend that you weren't attacking her with your comment. I understand now that you two have something of a feud going on so I'm probably going to just excuse myself from the...well, whatever this is. But the comment you directed at her in this thread was uncalled for and lame.
    I disagree. Sorry you feel that way.

    In any case; it's possible for two discussions to carry on within a single thread. My comment was partially in response to her bashing MOTO and I for having this argument, and partially in response to her saying someone's kids should be taken away because she doesn't agree with how they are spending their money. Disagreeing with someone's lifestyle is one thing, but I feel like *that* sort of comment is "uncalled for."

    Anyway, I didn't exactly feel called to recant my comment when she went on to (once again) misrepresent something I said in an unrelated discussion several days before, in an attempt to discredit me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    You basically made yourself look like a jerk in this thread without any help from anyone else. It happens. We all look like jerks sometimes. Best thing is to just take a deep breath and move on.
    People thinking I'm a jerk, in itself, doesn't bother me. It's when people whom I otherwise respect choose to twist my words around in order to discredit me.
    Last edited by Static_Martyr; 07-31-2013 at 08:15 PM.
    "I'm sorry
    For all the things that I never did
    For all the places I never was
    For all the people I never stopped
    But there was nothing I could do...
    "

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    9,904


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Static_Martyr View Post
    saying someone's kids should be taken away because she doesn't agree with how they are spending their money.
    That's not really an accurate representation of what she was saying.

    In this instance we have been informed that the parents, by their own admission, are unable to provide food for their children. We have also been informed that they could have bought food for their children but choose to spend it on their own recreational activities instead. This makes them irresponsible parents at best and potentially abusive parents at worst. There is definitely grounds to at least consider removing the children to a better environment.

    Your interpretation of her words totally ignores the fact she only disagreed with their financial choices because their children are starving. It's not like she just thinks the kids should be removed because the parents bought a Glenn Beck book (though that would be a compelling argument). She said the kids should be removed because they are starving and the parents are spending their money frivolously instead of buying food for their starving kids.

    So be honest, do you really think what she said was uncalled for, or are you just twisting her words to discredit her and make her look like a jerk?

    Even if you still believe her response to be extreme you have to accept it was the result of a passionate desire to see children adequately cared for. Should that sentiment really be met with sarcastic derision?

    Quote Originally Posted by Static_Martyr View Post
    My comment was partially in response to her bashing MOTO and I for having this argument
    That would have made some sense, except you lashed out with a comment that made no reference to that at all.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fuckin' Bible belt....
    Posts
    1,361


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    That's not really an accurate representation of what she was saying.
    I disagree. What we know, based on the OP, is that the person in question did the following:

    she was talking about how her and her boyfriend were going out on a date for dinner, bowling and drinking... and drinking... and drinking, but she is now acting like she doesn't have money for food?
    Okay, so she and her boyfriend were going out on a date for dinner, bowling, and drinking. What was the occasion? How often does this sort of thing happen? Does the boyfriend live with her and the children? Is he employed? Who is paying for the date? None of these things were made apparent to anyone reading the topic (Llamas claims she and lost had some prior exchange about it in which more information was revealed, but I am not privy to that conversation and so I can only go on what was presented in this topic).

    I ask because, for example, when I was on food stamps, my girlfriend still paid for us to go on a couple of dates (she was living with her parents but still employed full time, and so she was in a better situation than I was, financially speaking), usually to celebrate some occasion (once was when she found out that her employer wasn't going to be closing down, so she wouldn't be losing her job like she thought, the other was my birthday). Not exactly grand expenditures, but still more than was absolutely necessary to survive. She helped me with gas from time to time (whenever I visited her), but by and large she had her own financial troubles, so she couldn't really afford to get involved in my financial situation beyond those simple measures. So does that make me an irresponsible person? Or should I have blown her off completely and refused her money?

    Maybe things were different in Lost's story. But based on the graphic and her portrayal of events, I think it's grossly premature to say, "Their children should be taken away."

    Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    In this instance we have been informed that the parents, by their own admission, are unable to provide food for their children. We have also been informed that they could have bought food for their children but choose to spend it on their own recreational activities instead. This makes them irresponsible parents at best and potentially abusive parents at worst. There is definitely grounds to at least consider removing the children to a better environment.
    Maybe if you could demonstrate a pattern of parental abandonment, but I hardly think this sort of thing counts as "abuse." If they spent hundreds, or thousands, of dollars on something recreational, then you might have a case; but honestly, I don't see going out for one night (on a date) as something that is necessarily super expensive. Based on the information as it was presented in the OP, I really don't think there is any ground for declaring this to be abusive, or for parents to be removed from a household, unless they are habitually spending more than they have (with direct consequence to the children). When I was a kid, my mom would frequently move heaven and earth to try and have parties for the holidays, or for our birthdays or special events, even though in strict financial terms we probably didn't have the money to. Does that mean my mother was "abusive?"

    Also, from the status, it sounds more to me like their food stamps came later than anticipated -- they are supposed to come on the same day every month, and she sounds surprised that they aren't there yet, which leads me to believe through context that they were late; when I was on food stamps, this happened to me as well (since we came on halfway through the monthly period, they went and gave us half of that month's amount as well as the full next month's amount, and we didn't realize it; so when the next month came around and we had gone through most of them, it was quite the wrench in the works to discover that our SNAP balance wouldn't renew for another month, so we really had to scrape together to make sure there was enough for everyone). Even if you plan perfectly, a payment coming late can fuck everything up. So I can see that being a valid reason for being upset.

    Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    Your interpretation of her words totally ignores the fact she only disagreed with their financial choices because their children are starving. It's not like she just thinks the kids should be removed because the parents bought a Glenn Beck book (though that would be a compelling argument). She said the kids should be removed because they are starving and the parents are spending their money frivolously instead of buying food for their starving kids.
    Okay. So let's back up and say they never went on that date. That will fix all of their financial problems?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    So be honest, do you really think what she said was uncalled for, or are you just twisting her words to discredit her and make her look like a jerk?
    I think what she said was prejudiced.

    Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    Even if you still believe her response to be extreme you have to accept it was the result of a passionate desire to see children adequately cared for. Should that sentiment really be met with sarcastic derision?
    I think the arrogance with which it was asserted deserves to be responded to with sarcastic derision, yes. I feel the same way any time anyone arrogantly passes judgment on someone when there is not enough evidence to do so.

    Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    That would have made some sense, except you lashed out with a comment that made no reference to that at all.
    Sorry. I'll make it super super obvious next time.
    "I'm sorry
    For all the things that I never did
    For all the places I never was
    For all the people I never stopped
    But there was nothing I could do...
    "

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    9,904


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Static_Martyr View Post
    Sorry.
    Apology accepted.

    I'm curious though, if you felt so strongly that the subjects of the OP were being unfairly judged, why did you wait so long to actually point that out?

    I mean, you wrote thousands of words in this thread before ever suggesting that Lost may have been unfair in her original post.

    Actually, you still haven't accused Lost of being unfair, have you? Even though she started this thread specifically to vent about behaviour she clearly found unacceptable you didn't decide to point out how unfair this all was until Llamas made a comment.

    And then you actually still didn't make your well thought out argument in defence of these people at that point. You just insulted Llamas instead.

    If I was being cynical, it could almost appear like you cobbled this whole thing together at the last minute to avoid looking like you were intentionally being a jerk.

    If I was being cynical.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fuckin' Bible belt....
    Posts
    1,361


    Default

    I try to make it a habit to give someone the BOD. Lost simply came out and expressed her opinion, namely that "people like these are why people see welfare in a bad light." I would probably modify that and say, "People who judge people based on what little you've offered here are the ones who tend to see welfare in a bad light," but I really had no interest in pissing Lost off as she has not shown herself to be the type of person who makes unnecessary snap judgments; and so I gave her the BOD and assumed there was more to the story than I read here.

    But that said, my intent wasn't to pick a fight with the OP, it was to take issue with something MOTO said; Lost's statement was couched in opinion, MOTO's was phrased as statistical fact. If you recall, my original post was "[citation needed]" in response to MOTO's claim. And if you recall, I never addressed Lost *or* Llamas until Llamas came in and dismissed our argument in a decidedly condescending manner, and chose to offer her own (IMO prejudiced) assessment of the OP, which I then dismissed in my own condescending way.
    Last edited by Static_Martyr; 07-31-2013 at 10:39 PM.
    "I'm sorry
    For all the things that I never did
    For all the places I never was
    For all the people I never stopped
    But there was nothing I could do...
    "

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,106


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Static_Martyr View Post
    ...I disagree. I don't think publicly shaming people is going to solve poverty.
    Why would it be shameful? There is a huge amount of money being pumped into welfare. Just like anything, the bill paying public (you know, the idiots getting up everyday and going to work supporting these programs) should have the right to know who they are supporting, what programs they are on, how long they have been on assistance and how much they are receiving. Why is this so bad? Seems quite reasonable to me. Maybe...just maybe, some of these people who have been on welfare for years should be fucking ashamed. Maybe that would be a good thing. Then you could see exactly what welfare costs, how these people live and what they have been doing with the money we scarifice for them and if they have even attempted to better their lot in life. Then we could address our politicians and ask why so much money gets pumped into certain areas...where vote buying may be going on. Now that's just a wild theory.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •