Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which current female pop singer do you find to be the best?

Quote Originally Posted by jacknife737 View Post
    To be fair, even a lot of supposed "authentic" artists put on a bit of an act - ie when Green Day was still a little indie band on Lookout Records Billie Joe would put on a faux British accent sometimes. Tim Armstrong did/does the same thing.
    Sometimes is a lot different from having it be part of your entire act, and having it clearly be to appeal to a more accessible/bigger group of people. If they pushed through their actual accents, since they're actually well-off and from rather posh areas, they'd risk a smaller following, so they hide the fact that they've got posh accents behind a working class accent.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

I've watched countless Lily Allen interviews and I've never heard a difference between her speaking voice and her singing voice, maybe it is because I'm not from England? I could care less if they're "putting on an act". She seems like a pretty funny lady and I'd pay to just give her a high five because I could say I've done it. "It's not Fair" is probably one of my more preferred songs on the album. Granted they're all good. Forgot this lady as well. In my top ten for songs of 2013 at the moment. It came out here in 2013 what do youu want from me!

fuck fuck shit fuck

No worries if other people like her despite it... I'm just explaining why I hate it.

Both of them sing with a Mockney accent, "an affectation sometimes adopted for aesthetic or theatric purposes, other times just to sound “cool”, generate street credibility or give the false impression that the speaker rose from humble beginnings and became prominent through some innate talent rather than the education, contacts and other advantages a privileged background tends to bring."

"Kate Nash is the best example of a person who decided to adopt Cockney in order to start her music career and gain fans. She was born in 1987 in a middle-class family in London. Her father is English and her mother Irish. She studied at the BRIT School for Performing Arts and Technology in South London, where she was taught the RP pronunciation. However, living in London all her life made her familiar with the Cockney accent and, finally (when starting her career), she adopted it. She did it, because she saw the great success of Lily Allen, a 2-year older singer from London, who also adopted Cockney. Unfortunately, except for the fact that Nash tries to speak Cockney all the time, it is not the same accent that we can hear in London. To be precise, she uses a mixture of RP, Estuary English and Cockney. What is more, many people claim she still sounds too “posh” and that her struggle to adopt the proper Cockney failed. All these make her Mockney a very interesting accent to investigate."

Heh, funny that I like Kate more, considering she actually directly took the idea from Lily. Lame.

I think there's a reason that most of their fans are not British. I've actually read that Kate and Lily are two of the most hated pop musicians in the UK, according to British music fans - and it's because of the Mockney.

Quote Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
    I liked Kate Nash and Lilly Allen a lot more until I read up on them and found out how incredibly fake they are. All pop singers are a bit fake, but at least most don't pretend to be authentic like those two. They put on fake accents in their singing (those aren't even their spoken accents... it's like someone from New York singing with a forced Alabama accent to appeal to a country/folk crowd). I still dig their songs (I much prefer Kate, though - she actually has musical talent, while Lily mostly relies on shock value), but I lost a lot of respect for them both. At least other pop singers are obviously and intentionally fake :P .
    Just re-read this. What shock value are you speaking of?
    fuck fuck shit fuck

Quote Originally Posted by Retard View Post
    Just re-read this. What shock value are you speaking of?
    Lily got big on most of her lyrics being surprisingly vulgar and sexual for a soft-spoken girl. Nearly everybody who's asked me if I've heard of Lily Allen has talked about Not Fair and Fuck You and how hilariously vulgar they are - if a man sang those lyrics, nobody would care.

Lily singing Fuck you is seriously the most vulgar part of the song. Unless they were offended by her saying fuck you to people who don't like gay people I don't see what the problem with that song. Oh well no biggie, people like what they like, I'm afraid I'm coming off as defensive and that's not my intention. I don't know if this is that "pop" anymore but watever I fucking love this shit.

fuck fuck shit fuck

Quote Originally Posted by Retard View Post
    Lily singing Fuck you is seriously the most vulgar part of the song. Unless they were offended by her saying fuck you to people who don't like gay people I don't see what the problem with that song. Oh well no biggie, people like what they like, I'm afraid I'm coming off as defensive and that's not my intention.
    Vulgar and offensive are very different things :P I didn't say she's popular because she's offensive... yes, a soft-spoken woman singing "fuck you" over and over throughout the chorus of a song has shock value. I can't think of one other soft-spoken female pop singer with a song that has the word "fuck" like 20-some times.

I can't think of any soft spoken female pop singers haha.
    fuck fuck shit fuck

Pink, definitely Pink. I actually like Pink.

Lily Allen, I went to see a concert a few years ago, invited by the Joker... well... he lost the right to ever choose a concert that day.

All the Beautiful Things you do

Respect my authoritah !

Always liked Pink. Gaga was awesome but very briefly. Really appreciated Sheryl Crow back in the day. My favourite ever was Cerys from Catatonia though, somehow her voice was pure sex for me in a really weird way.

I enjoy what I've heard of Lilly Allen. It also doesn't hurt that her brother plays Theon in Game of Thrones and her song "Alfie" is about him. I was not aware that her accent was fake. Fake accents, mockney and such, used to fill me with barely contained rage though I struggle now to remember quite why. I was particularly upset with Blur's Damon Albarn for some reason. Now I see it as merely an artistic choice and it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I don't care if this isn't current. It's just awesome.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks