Thread: cloud atlas

A state that's untouchable like Elliot Ness

Default cloud atlas

what's up with the demon that follows around tom hanks? is he tom hanks' inner demon? is that why he was an asshole on the slave ship and only kind of an asshole when he was running the hotel? is it like, he's evolved through lifetimes into a non-asshole and that's why the demon stayed on the island?

and why do some people have shooting star tattoos and some people don't? was hallie berry the reincarnation of the english reporter's gay college lover?
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I like women who enjoy being dissatisfied sexually.

The devil is just in Tom Hank's character's mind

The people who have the comet birthmarks are all reincarnations of each other.

It's a lot more clear in the book, because it's not all mixed up with the same actors playing different roles.

A state that's untouchable like Elliot Ness

why was the villain the same type of villain in every lifetime, but tom hanks was different in every lifetime?
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I like women who enjoy being dissatisfied sexually.

Right here in the link that I am putting to this post is my favorite picture of tom hanks and in the picture when you click the link you see a picture of tom playing that piano using his feet:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

Quote Originally Posted by calichix View Post
    why was the villain the same type of villain in every lifetime, but tom hanks was different in every lifetime?
    I'm not really sure, I think the film could have done that a bit better, but it confused it unnecessarily.

Edit: The thing about the book is, it deals with reincarnation, and so does the film, but it's confusing in the film, because the characters who are reincarnations aren't necessarily played by the same actors (for instance, all the main characters are reincarnations, hence the birthmark and the connections to past and future selves). Although, Hugo Weaving's characters are all reincarnations as far as I'm aware - it shows him becoming a worse and worse person over time - from the slave trader at the very start to the devil fella in the future.
    And although Tom Hanks didn't play the same "reincarnations", I guess the film made it so that his character evolved also - going from the thieving doctor in the 1700's and then hotel manager, the Irish gangster etc, gradually getting better until he was the scientist and then Zachary in the future.
    So although it messed up the point of the book a bit, it still managed to make some sort of evolution.
    Last edited by Alison; 08-11-2013 at 05:08 AM.