Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: tv shows you currently enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by WebDudette View Post
    Netflix recommended Hit & Miss to me based on Orange is the New Black.
    I'm going to add both of those to my list based on your recommendation. Newsroom is already on my list, just not a high priority.

I'm put off of Hemlock Grove for a few reasons, but mostly I dislike how badly Netflix wants me to watch it. It seems to force me to watch the trailer all the time and it's just niggling at me.

Boardwalk Empire was pretty decent, but I'm not even certain I finished the first season. Just one of those shows I lost interest in, I guess.
    I think I know what you mean. It takes some effort, in a way. A bit like The Sopranos did, although I actually rate Boardwalk Empire much higher, personally. Still, if you could find motivation to watch all of season two I think you'd really enjoy it.

I really enjoy that period of history so think that helped me get through the moments when my interest might otherwise have waned.

Quote Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
    How I Met Your Mother
    I sort of hate that show. I've seen quite a few episodes now and my opinion has not improved. It's weird, because I like much of the cast. I love Jason Segal and NPH, in particular, but I just don't like them in this. I guess it's not that weird actually, because it's not the performances I have a problem with, I just don't like the actual writing. One thing in particular that really bugs me is that Barney is basically a rapist and all his friends are fine with it. Wtf. Watching this show makes me feel like a feminist and that's just wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    Party Down was hilarious
    The first season of Party Down was some of the finest shit I've ever watched. I thought the second season had a massive drop in quality but was still worth watching. I actually don't mind that it was cancelled at that point. I prefer comedies to have short runs and not burn themselves out completely.

I have been getting really tired of shows that can't help but pedantically end every single episode on a ridiculous, uninteresting cliffhanger (True Blood) or do a 'problem of the episode' format (this season of Dexter during the five first episodes, though obviously there was a larger narrative).
    The cliffhanger nonsense can be avoided if you just watch entire seasons at a time. I actually think True Blood does the cliffhangers pretty well, but each to their own.

I think the writers of Dexter are possibly trying to show that Dexter is on the verge of being overwhelmed with issues, whether he realizes it or not. Any one of those problems-of-the-week could come back to bite him in the ass, even after seemingly being taken care of. I think they've hinted at that, most noticeably when the kid revealed he had removed the stuffed toy from the trash. With this being the final season of Dexter I'm thinking one of these seemingly solved problems is going to turn into his biggest problem ever, and the seemingly larger problems present in the season may be red herrings.

Party Down is one of my faves, I love Adam Scott.
    Oh yeah, I owe Party Down to you. I watched that on your recommendation.

Parks and Rec actually looks really good from what I've seen. I never followed the US version of the Office, I just couldn't get into it, and I thought Parks and Rec would be the same. But then I caught the occasional episode and actually think I could like it quite a bit. I have a problem with comedies in general though. I can't sit and watch them for eight hours straight like I can with drama. I just can't do it. So actually keeping up with comedy shows while only watching a single episode every now and then becomes tricky. I tend to forget about them or become too obsessed with something else to spare the time.

On the subject of comedies, has anyone watched the British comedies Peep Show or The Inbetweeners? Both are absolutely hilarious, but Peep Show might just be the funniest thing I've ever seen. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by _Lost_ View Post

This still gets me... Every. Time.
    Ha, took me a moment.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

Parks and Recreation is the reason I went from having a slight dislike for Amy Poehler to being like 'holy shit, I'm a god damn idiot'. Man, she's so cool.

I love both of those shows, but I can't remember for the life of me how much of Peep Show I have watched. God damn, David Mitchell's character is just the worst person in the world. If you haven't seen the Mitchell and Webb Look, you should definitely check it out. It's basically just a David Mitchell and Robert Webb sketch comedy show. The Inbetweeners movie was pretty good too.

As for Boardwalk Empire, I'll do a little refreshing to find out where I left off and try to get into it again.
    Last edited by WebDudette; 08-13-2013 at 02:16 AM.
    I wrote a four word letter.

If you haven't seen the Mitchell and Webb Look, you should definitely check it out. It's basically just a David Mitchell and Robert Webb sketch comedy show.
    I've seen a pretty good amount of it. I actually watched a lot of it with my housemate recently. The first season wasn't great. Numberwang, in particular, drove me nuts. Mitchell and Webb themselves describe the show as hit and miss. When it does hit though, wow, it really hits. The later seasons seemed to have a much better hit to miss ratio.

One of the best sketches:

I haven't finished Peep Show yet even though I love it. I'm sort of rationing it, or something.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

I don't have shows to recommend at the moment, but I did notice some of you mentioned not being caught up with Community. To them I say good luck. I wouldn't exactly say it's gone downhill...because a more accurate description is that it's fallen off a cliff. That being said, I have watched and sort of liked all of the recent stuff, but that's because I'm kind of an idiot sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vera View Post
    If two guys loving Offspring together is wrong, I don't want anything to be right.

Ah, that is a shame about Community, but not a shocker. The quality actually dropped quite rapidly at the start of season two from what I can remember. We'll always have the original paintball episode though. They can never take that from us.

Dan Harmon was fired before they made the last season so that's why it went downhill so quickly. Supposedly they're bringing him back next season, though.

I just watched "Sons of anarchy", it was a great series. I also just watched "Firefly" totally awesome, I wish there were more seasons.
    Now I'm watching "the shield" so far it's good.

Right now the only show I'm watching is Breaking Bad. I'm gonna catch Walking Dead when it comes back and aside from the 50th anniversary special and the Christmas special, there isn't going to be any new Doctor Who until August of next year I also like to watch Mythbuster, but only what's on Netflix. I really don't watch TV anymore, I watch most of my shows on Netflix of Primewire.

Quote Originally Posted by Outerspaceman21 View Post
    I really don't watch TV anymore, I watch most of my shows on Netflix of Primewire.
    Well, yeah. I honestly can't remember when I last turned on my television and watched something actually being broadcast. Everything I watch is via online streaming. It's a shame the language hasn't quite caught up here. There's no really succinct way of explaining that I love watching certain types of tv shows but never actually watch broadcast television. And though it may sound rather elitist, possibly even pretentious, I really don't like the idea of people thinking what I do is anything like people sitting around watching Coronation Street, X Factor, or just whatever happens to be on because they can't find the remote control. I like to think of the shows I watch as art, not merely entertainment. I consider them as worthy as literature.

I've seen the first couple seasons (okay, 'series' you limey cigarette) of Peep Show, the whole thing is on Danish netflix, so I suppose I should stop being so single-focused and lazy.
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.