Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In this generation, Christians take too much heat and are often stigmatized

I grew up going to church every Sunday with my mom and dad and we usually sat with my grandparents. The church never mentioned anything about Mary and Joseph having other kids(maybe I just didn't pay attention) but I don't think The Catholic church is cool with people thinking that Mary wasn't a virgin after or before having Jesus.
    fuck fuck shit fuck

Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    I thought it was fairly common knowledge that Mary and Joseph supposedly had more children after Jesus. And it makes sense. Why did you find it so surprising?
    That its James of the book of James, thats no Lamentations or some other pussy book. Also, in the most literal way possible, that makes it cannon.

Retard, I (thankfully) wasn't raised Catholic.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman View Post
    I read Reza Aslan's book on the historical Jesus. It was great. Mindblowing to find out that James from the Book of James was Jesus' brother.
    This probably isn't really worthy enough of its own thread, but I finally got around to watching that guy's Fox interview and I thought he was so fucking pompous and smug. Then his twitter actually got some notoriety for the same behavior. I remember strongly disagreeing with someone on here a year or so ago (Jakebert, maybe) for the view that Fox News gets too much knee-jerk criticism just because it's Fox News. That interview alone, and the ridiculous widespread support for Aslan thereafter, was nearly enough for me to completely rescind my opinion.

Maybe his book is good. The interview just really didn't make me want to read it.
    "LIVE OR DIE, MAN??"

"DIE!!!!!"

"WRONG! HOOOONK!"

Quote Originally Posted by Retard View Post
    I grew up going to church every Sunday with my mom and dad and we usually sat with my grandparents. The church never mentioned anything about Mary and Joseph having other kids(maybe I just didn't pay attention) but I don't think The Catholic church is cool with people thinking that Mary wasn't a virgin after or before having Jesus.
    Well... you should have watched Dogma... That is a serious source.

All the Beautiful Things you do

Respect my authoritah !

Quote Originally Posted by XYlophonetreeZ View Post
    This probably isn't really worthy enough of its own thread, but I finally got around to watching that guy's Fox interview and I thought he was so fucking pompous and smug. Then his twitter actually got some notoriety for the same behavior. I remember strongly disagreeing with someone on here a year or so ago (Jakebert, maybe) for the view that Fox News gets too much knee-jerk criticism just because it's Fox News. That interview alone, and the ridiculous widespread support for Aslan thereafter, was nearly enough for me to completely rescind my opinion.

Maybe his book is good. The interview just really didn't make me want to read it.
    You watched that interview and didn't get the impression it was meant to have nothing to do with his book, and everything to do with Fox News trying to position itself? It was frustrating because the interviewer was incredibly unprofessional, did no research, and only had him on because of his religion. I liked that he didn't act cowed (I also really liked him bragging about the bredth of his source material).

Watch the interview again, ignore Aslan, just focus on the questions asked. Its obscenely unprofessional. I agree there is an anti Fox News bandwagon, so I try and give them the benefit of the doubt. Where you saw a guy being arrogant, most people saw a guy defending himself in a preposterous interview situation. I don't know anything about his twitter or his behavior elsewhere, but watching the interview I thought it was forgivable given the circumstances.

And fuck starting new threads, most threads are terrible so I just use them to talk about whatever tangent I want anyway. God knows religion is a tired enough debate.

Also, the book is good if its a subject your interested in, and its written in laymen terms so you don't have to look up words like ecclesiastic or other tedious field-specific vocab that annoys me.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

Quote Originally Posted by Harleyquiiinn View Post
    Well... you should have watched Dogma... That is a serious source.
    I love you.

And fuck starting new threads, most threads are terrible so I just use them to talk about whatever tangent I want anyway.
    I love you.

I agree there is an anti Fox News bandwagon, so I try and give them the benefit of the doubt.
    This is one of those times when the bandwagon exists for a damn good reason. Fox News deserves no benefit of doubt at all. Studies have shown that viewers of Fox News are less informed than people who watch no news at all. I've had the misfortune of spending a lot of time with Fox News viewers and they are just terrible people. Seriously.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

You watched that interview and didn't get the impression it was meant to have nothing to do with his book, and everything to do with Fox News trying to position itself? It was frustrating because the interviewer was incredibly unprofessional, did no research, and only had him on because of his religion. I liked that he didn't act cowed (I also really liked him bragging about the bredth of his source material).

Watch the interview again, ignore Aslan, just focus on the questions asked. Its obscenely unprofessional. I agree there is an anti Fox News bandwagon, so I try and give them the benefit of the doubt. Where you saw a guy being arrogant, most people saw a guy defending himself in a preposterous interview situation. I don't know anything about his twitter or his behavior elsewhere, but watching the interview I thought it was forgivable given the circumstances.
    Well again, I disagree. I thought it was pretty standard interview fare- she asked him a question that puts him on the defensive in order to get the best answers out of him. Her initial question asked why, as a Muslim, he would be interested in the life of Jesus. I would bet that's quite literally the most common question he is ever asked. Yet he, and subsequently the entire anti-Fox bandwagon, acted as though the question was an attack on his personal religion (which I thought it clearly wasn't)- as though he had never heard the question before. While he answered somewhat patiently at first, I still found the sheer length of his ramble about his qualifications to be really irritating. And then when the shit really hit the fan, she was doing nothing more than reading criticisms written by others, and he was shooting the messenger.

She never phrased the question in a way that was meant to imply that it was impossible or ridiculous for a Muslim to write about Christ. Admittedly, the Fox Network would probably not ask a Christian writing about Mohammad the same question in reverse, but I still thought that it was asked with harmless sincerity.
    Last edited by XYlophonetreeZ; 08-23-2013 at 10:19 PM.
    "LIVE OR DIE, MAN??"

"DIE!!!!!"

"WRONG! HOOOONK!"

Did someone here share this article? I thought I found it here, but I can't remember... anyway, it's perfect and totally relates to this topic. If someone did share it and I can't figure out who, great article :P http://everydayfeminism.com/2013/08/...-white-people/
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Also seriously, Jesus' brother and nobody fucking talks about this?
    He does: http://youtu.be/pPdFrW076R0