Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Offspring - Horror Punk band?

Default Offspring - Horror Punk band?

It seems like The Offspring was still trying to find their sound around time of their first album, which resulted in having a great variety in terms of style.

To me, it seems like The Offspring almost became a horror punk band. First of all, changing their name to "The Offspring" (though connections to the horror movie of the same name seem to be coincidence), and some dark and brutal songs, like "Beheaded," "Blackball," "Demons," and "Halloween." I could be wrong here, but it seems like that was the direction they were going in, until they eventually found their own style.

They definitely were a punk band until Smash ... Then they changed,mixed and tried a lot of styles .. now I consider them like an "Alternative Rock Band"
    Last edited by Pedrosky; 08-30-2013 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedrosky View Post
    They definitely were a punk band until Smash ... Then they changed,mixed and tried a lot of styles .. now I consider them like an "Alternative Rock Band"
    I don't know if you understood the first post...

more like TSOL's "Dance With Me" was their biggest influence on their first album

Quote Originally Posted by D0NT View Post
    more like TSOL's "Dance With Me" was their biggest influence on their first album
    Yeah I thought that too with ST.
    Not a bad thing though, TSOL is awesome.

Horror Punk though, I don't know if it was their intent, but I can see how you might get that idea. Especially with the songs you gave as examples.

they could have been a horror punk band if they continued in that direction after the first album

Quote Originally Posted by Pedrosky View Post
    I agree

I guess in their early days, The Offspring was testing the waters, and trying to establish themselves in the punk community, and sampled different styles to find what worked. "I'll Be Waiting" stands out to me as one of their more pop punk inspired earlier songs, which was actually more airplay-friendly for their first single. I also think it was Smash where they were inspired less by others, and took on their own style. But as Days Go By has shown, they can still adapt to the times.

If only their homemade video of BEHEADED was realeased back then, maybe can you guys imagine a sort of Misfits / early AFI Offspring , Dexter with make up and shit. it could be fun, we can agree thou they do abuse skulls imaginery and thats not too far from a horror theme, still im glad they didnt became a horror punk band it could be a little ridiculous, of course Im thankful to know TSOL because of The Offspring and I would love if they stayed in their selft titled esque sound, but still everyone evolves its understandable

Wait, there was a video for Beheaded made? Or are you saying if there was a video for Beheaded? Also, that post reminded me of the whole Clowns of Death band they allegedly participated in - that sounds like some hardcore stuff.

There WAS a Beheaded homemade video back in the day, they talked about it I think it was in a podcast, and Im sure Dexter mentions it in a 1991 audio bootleg that was posted here not long ago.

They just never released it.

Im positive only Noodles played in "The Clowns of Death", and their name was a reference to a Oingo Boing song, not a horror punk thing.