Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for job applications

Default Question for job applications

So I was recently let go of my last job because I was simply not a good fit for the company. The job was too stressful to be working at $8.25/hour and if I wasn't let go, I was likely going to quit anyway. I still maintain a good relationship with the store's owners and managers, and the general manager even offered to allow me to use him as a reference for future applications.

The thing is, though, as I'm applying to jobs, if I were to mention this job, then it brings up the question of why I only worked there for about a month and a half and how I was still fired. How should I spin this to make myself look better on applications? I certainly gained a lot of valuable knowledge from this job; I just wasn't able to keep up with how fast-paced it was.
    Quote Originally Posted by pyro offspring View Post
    is it true that obama may legaliz it?

1 members appreciate this post.

I've never heard of anyone being let go like that, on good terms, without being given the option to simply resign. That's pretty fucked up if your boss fired you without giving you the option to leave on your own terms, yet still wants to maintain a good relationship with you.

First off, I'd ask the guy what he intends to say in response to why you only worked there for a month and a half. Because you can bet that they'll ask him if you put that job on your resume. If he doesn't give a good answer, I'd honestly just tell him thanks but no thanks for the reference and leave that job off your resume altogether.
    "LIVE OR DIE, MAN??"

"DIE!!!!!"

"WRONG! HOOOONK!"

I think I need a little more information :

- What type of job was it ?
    - Do you have other experiences ? how many ? how long ?

All the Beautiful Things you do

Respect my authoritah !

Don't put it on your job history unless you really feel the need for some reason. Looks odd and raises too many red flags. For a position you had for a month and a half, it's not important to even mention.

Quote Originally Posted by XYlophonetreeZ View Post
    I've never heard of anyone being let go like that, on good terms, without being given the option to simply resign. That's pretty fucked up if your boss fired you without giving you the option to leave on your own terms, yet still wants to maintain a good relationship with you.

First off, I'd ask the guy what he intends to say in response to why you only worked there for a month and a half. Because you can bet that they'll ask him if you put that job on your resume. If he doesn't give a good answer, I'd honestly just tell him thanks but no thanks for the reference and leave that job off your resume altogether.
    What this guy said. I'm guessing you have other references you can list, and the experience you gained you can probably work into other areas of the application somehow. I wouldn't want to list someone who fired you without giving you the option to resign when you didn't do something blatantly wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Well, I guess I should say that the good relationship was mostly my own doing. I was not good at the job (like, I was seriously terrible) and I didn't want to burn any bridges with them, so I made sure to stay friendly with them.

I just feel like I would be putting down false information if I said that this place wasn't my last place of employment. I did gain some valuable knowledge and experience from my short time there, and that is something I would want to mention. I also feel obligated to say something when an employer asks if I have ever been fired or terminated from a position. I feel as though omitting something like that wouldn't be good, especially if the employer found out about it.

And the job was just a basic salesperson job at a local music store. It was just too fast-paced and stressful for the wage I was earning.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    Well, I guess I should say that the good relationship was mostly my own doing. I was not good at the job (like, I was seriously terrible) and I didn't want to burn any bridges with them, so I made sure to stay friendly with them.

I just feel like I would be putting down false information if I said that this place wasn't my last place of employment. I did gain some valuable knowledge and experience from my short time there, and that is something I would want to mention. I also feel obligated to say something when an employer asks if I have ever been fired or terminated from a position. I feel as though omitting something like that wouldn't be good, especially if the employer found out about it.

And the job was just a basic salesperson job at a local music store. It was just too fast-paced and stressful for the wage I was earning.
    Then I honestly would leave it off your resume. If the experience becomes relevant in the interview, you can mention it, and mention that you left because it wasn't what you were looking for in a job (which is true), but your resume isn't meant to be a summary of everything you've ever done. A resume is a document that summarizes your strengths relative to that position - its only purpose is to get you an interview.

But hearing "I couldn't handle a basic salesperson job at a music store" is pretty much an immediate dealbreaker. Some employers don't exactly require worldbeaters, while others feel they do. Either way, if the vibe the guy hiring gets is "I left a job because I felt I wasn't being paid enough to do what I was hired to do," why would he expect better from you in your new surroundings?

If an experience in your month and a half becomes relevant to the hiring process, you can be honest at that point - because you're in the interview, and you can control your impression management much better there.

"Really. This wasn't on your resume."
    "Hah, no. I worked there such a short time, and it wasn't the kind of experience I am looking for."

Might be better - depends on your delivery. You can imply that the job you're interviewing for IS the experience you're looking for, at least, and that can't hurt.

But yeah. If you have any other work experience stick to that.
    Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.

Gotcha. I definitely think I'll do that from now on, then.

A lot of great advice in here so not much to add.

Your experience is why I like that many jobs will hire you on sort of a trial basis. A three month probationary period is good. After that if either party doesn't think it's working out you just leave without the stigma of being fired or quitting. That sounds like what really happened in your case.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    A lot of great advice in here so not much to add.

Your experience is why I like that many jobs will hire you on sort of a trial basis. A three month probationary period is good. After that if either party doesn't think it's working out you just leave without the stigma of being fired or quitting. That sounds like what really happened in your case.
    That happened to me once, but they abused the system and routinely hired two people for every one position that was open with the advance intent of letting one go in 3 months. And the other guy had more experience than me going in, so I was at a huge disadvantage from day 1.
    "LIVE OR DIE, MAN??"

"DIE!!!!!"

"WRONG! HOOOONK!"