Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Offspring San Berubin tape

Default The Offspring San Berubin tape

I'm sure everyone here has heard of the San Berubin tape of the Offspring in 1987; the earliest known footage of the band in concert (to my knowledge).

It's nice for the historical value, but the tape is badly degrated, to the point of being nearly unwatchable. It's in grainy black and white, and the audio is extremely muffled. Though the worst part is various gaps, which are caused with age in the tape.

This may not be new, but it's still a new discovery for me:

Apparently, the crappiness we've seen all around the internet is merely a degraded copy; the original tape is still out there in decent shape. The audio and video are excellent compared to what we previously had available. Best of all - no skips. Unfortunately, the only video that's been released is Tehran (an early take). I've found no signs of the rest. But at least this gives me hope that it's still out there.

Also, this is The Offspring performingm not Manic Subsidal, as this is 1987. I'm not able to confirm or deny the early name of "Iran" for their performance of [what would become] "Tehran," though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post
    I'm sure everyone here has heard of the San Berubin tape of the Offspring in 1987; the earliest known footage of the band in concert (to my knowledge).

It's nice for the historical value, but the tape is badly degrated, to the point of being nearly unwatchable. It's in grainy black and white, and the audio is extremely muffled. Though the worst part is various gaps, which are caused with age in the tape.

This may not be new, but it's still a new discovery for me:

Apparently, the crappiness we've seen all around the internet is merely a degraded copy; the original tape is still out there in decent shape. The audio and video are excellent compared to what we previously had available. Best of all - no skips. Unfortunately, the only video that's been released is Tehran (an early take). I've found no signs of the rest. But at least this gives me hope that it's still out there.

Also, this is The Offspring performingm not Manic Subsidal, as this is 1987. I'm not able to confirm or deny the early name of "Iran" for their performance of [what would become] "Tehran," though.
    I own a copy of the original tape, I dont have a VHS and havent seen it in ages, do not remember that much about the quality but I think mine is color or at least has some color parts of the show. Im positive there were higher quality ripps of this video on the internet before, Im thinking someone will pronounce about this soon in this post

IGustavo maybe you remember?

PS: It is indeed the Offspring and not manic as the legend goes they even throw Blackball 7"(James does it) to the crowd

I'm pretty sure I do have a taperip converted into a DVD format. In colour. With almost no skips. I'd have to search for it though.

It seems I have underestimated the fans, impressive work, guys. I guess it did have some sort of distribution as a bootleg. Especially since The Offspring's fame would only continue to grow exponentially in the coming years.
    Quote Originally Posted by D0NT View Post
    PS: It is indeed the Offspring and not manic as the legend goes they even throw Blackball 7"(James does it) to the crowd
    That's just awesome, the band really has the crowd going here. For a band with only one release under their belt, they sure put on an impressive show.

The camera work is also pretty decent for the most part (you can't get a much better view than on the stage). They manage to capture the band and the crowd pretty well. Except when zoomed into the guy in the corner and Dexter's ass.

Quote Originally Posted by holland25 View Post
    I'm pretty sure I do have a taperip converted into a DVD format. In colour. With almost no skips. I'd have to search for it though.
    I have it also it used to be on offspringbootlegs.info I like the part when the camera man asks Greg K what he thinks of styx haha

Also im pretty sure this show took place in San Bernardino, California but was mislabeled ''San Berubin''

Indeed it was San Bernadino.
    http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-of...-2bd1fc12.html
    http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-of...-13dfb9b1.html

Though as you can see, there's some inconsistency as to the specific place. I'm pretty sure it's Peguin's Pub, as Grange Hall isn't even in San Bernadino (even though there's next to nothing known about Penguin's Pub itself). And the fact that the 1988 date is attributed to the second shows that it's definitely a mistake, as it would be Ron Welty drumming at this point.

Meanwhile, enjoy this new clip I found:

Aside from being clearer and in color (and earlier renditions of the respective songs), this clip shows James promoting their 45 ("I'll Be Waiting") before Dexter throws it into the crowd. They threw (at least) two copies; one guy jumps to get it, the other gets picked up by a skinhead, who chucks it in the other direction. It sounds like someone in the band says something about that "being our only copy" at the end (even though there was clearly two). I guess it didn't end well.

Also, it's cool to note that Dexter's playing lead guitar on "Out On Patrol".
    Last edited by Mega Man; 11-21-2013 at 02:22 PM.

Is that Fat Mike of NOFX at 5:29???
    www.theoffspring.eu unofficial european fanclub with the most completed discography and thousands of live downloads

Isti: your pic with dex and greg is just epic

Quote Originally Posted by Greekoldfan View Post
    Interesting, I never thought of that... although I think Fat Mike would have been chewing other things than just bubble gum :P
    It would be really interesting to know whether Fat Mike saw the Offspring in their early days though... pretty sure that he doesn't see them as part of the punk scene anymore since 1995 or so...
    Quote Originally Posted by SåS View Post
    Then we got 1000+ views on our myspace, that was our biggest achievement
    Quote Originally Posted by RexDarr View Post
    Our goal is to find a drummer & rythm guitarist, record a 5 song demo, get on the radio,

The Ricetigers

Quote Originally Posted by Greekoldfan View Post
    I don't think it is

2 members appreciate this post.

This show is for download in good quality here:

http://www.punktorrents.com/thread-1...ight=offspring

This DVD is combined with Preston 1993, also a very cool show!

Kevin: We never talk about my glasses; they're cool! We talk about Greg's penis, we can talk about my glasses.
    Ron: Really fuckin' big man.
    Brian: Yeah, just for the record, Greg has the biggest penis in the band. It's 7 1/4".We all got drunk and...
    Flipside Magazine 1989

www.offspringtrade.netne.net