Thread: Captain Picard got married

Default Captain Picard got married

And Gandalf performed the ceremony.

How unbelievably fucking cool is that.

I like to think this is what made his wife fall in love.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

He's great, but there's still something unsettling about the fact that she's less than half his age, young enough to be his granddaughter. I know "age is just a number" and all that, but still. I can't help it.

Edit: Two adults, what they do is their business. If it actually makes them happy and they're really in love, that's great. There's just something likely icky about it.
    Last edited by Llamas; 09-09-2013 at 03:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

The age difference is going to create some difficulties for them. I have no doubt they are fully aware of that. I like to think they're very much in love and said fuck all that other shit. Just be happy and fuck all the other shit.

I sort of like how you're somewhat conflicted about admitting you find it icky (no doubt because of the parallels to homophobia) yet chose to be honest anyway.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

I wrote a four word letter.

Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    The age difference is going to create some difficulties for them. I have no doubt they are fully aware of that. I like to think they're very much in love and said fuck all that other shit. Just be happy and fuck all the other shit.
    Again, if they are both just genuinely in love and happy, I'm happy for them. There's just a lot that is generally implied in these types of relationships that is off-putting.

I sort of like how you're somewhat conflicted about admitting you find it icky (no doubt because of the parallels to homophobia) yet chose to be honest anyway.
    Yeah, that's why I was careful to say it how I meant it. I don't think a big age difference is inherently wrong, and even when it is what I consider to be wrong, I wouldn't try to stop it from happening. But a large portion of the time, these types of relationships do not happen because both people are just so dearly in love. It also bothers me when a famous woman marries an old man, people give her shit (like Celine Dion back in the day)... but when a famous man marries a young woman, he's praised. Plus I can't think of any big examples of old women marrying young men with this kind of age difference. I guess that's what I think is gross.

I saw the quadruple take thing a week or so ago and didn't know what the hell was going on, but it seemed like an intimate moment. Not surprising to learn it was his bride-to-be in the video with him. There' such a positive vibe to that video. It's really all I needed to tell they're very much in love.

Bri, I certainly get what you're saying. But for once I've decided to abandon my natural cynicism and simply enjoy what I found to be a genuinely heart-warming occasion.

I think the quadruple take video really helped, actually. I wonder if they released it with the intent of having that effect. Would have been smart. When I saw they were married and saw the age difference I actually thought for a moment that I would normally feel a little dubious, but immediately decided that in this case I wasn't concerned about the age gap at all. And now I realize that must have been entirely thanks to the quadruple take video. The positive vibe just totally won me over.

I'm honestly happy for their happiness. In a way, finding love despite the age gap is quite inspiring. Perhaps I should start trolling maternity wards. My future wife might be being born right now! Ok, now I made it seems gross again.

Yeah large age differences are weird. Stewart doesn't strike me as exploitative, nor "gullible." For an actor who's been known for decades, he has been reserved and decidedly undramatic. Hope this goes better than his last 3 marriages.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

Yeah...how cool is this!!! Let's go get spocked and shit. Cap'n Picard can't even get his dicard.

This thread is a whole new level of nerd I totally unfamiliar with. Carry on freaks.

The quadruple take video actually had a very different effect on me. Stewart seems high out of his gourd on something, which just kinda adds to the overall feeling of vain aging hollywood dude.

I thought he was high as shit and adorably loving.
    I wrote a four word letter.