Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metal Gear Solid 5

Default Metal Gear Solid 5

This has to be a nightmare, surely.

David Hayter has been replaced by Kiefer Sutherland and the title is The Phantom Pain? Words cannot adequately express my rage and derp. My neckbeard is threatening to spontaneously combust.

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!

On a side note, anyone like HAWP?
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

The Phantom Pain is the first chapter of the game, the rest of the game is just Metal Gear V. They haven't announced how, but these will be separate releases, and it's gunna play similar to how you played the Tanker in MGS2, but the Plant for the rest of the game.

They are 9 years apart, and Snake/Big Boss is in a coma in the inbetween time, which is very exciting because Liquid mentions in MGS1 that Big Boss was in a coma when the Government initiated the Les Enfant Teribbles project and created Liquid, Solid and Solidus Snake. We are getting closer and closer to the game that bridges the old Metal Gears to Metal Gear 1, and I can't wait.

Also, have you watched the trailers and game play? It looks fucking awesome. You craaaay.

Also, yes, I raged for a little while about David Hayter, but I always said Jack Bauer is the second hardest man in the world, so at least they made the right replacement.
    http://soundcloud.com/ciaran-lyttle
    I did it all for the lulz.
    Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    I don't think I'm like this anymore, though many on this forum might think otherwise.
    As I've grown up some. back in the day. I even use myself as an example. reflected on things that happened in the past. I have a better understanding of things now. At least I can admit it now. I have somehow caused this situation by mentioning how I used to act on here. how I've changed. I'm a relatively normal poster now

Coney! I wondered if posting about Metal Gear could somehow summon you here. It's not like anyone but you and me is going to give a shit.

Quote Originally Posted by mrconeman View Post
    Also, have you watched the trailers and game play?
    No, but I just assumed it would be awesome. That's not a part I'm worried about. And, although I think The Phantom Pain is an awful name (even if it's only the first chapter), that's not really what's bothering me either.

I'm just not sure if I can get over replacing David Hayter. I'm reasonably fond of Kiefer Sutherland, he's in some of my favourite films, particularly some lesser known gems. But he is not Snake. David Hayter is Snake.

I am liking this growing trend of putting movie stars in video games though. I mean, we've had some celebrity voices in games for years now, but it's becoming more common and, significantly, the characters they voice are often physically modelled on them now. I just love how games are getting treated more and more seriously as both business and art. I can't wait to see what GTA 5 is going to deliver. Apparently Hideo Kojima, upon seeing gameplay from GTA 5, was so impressed he was concerned MGS 5 was not good enough. That's fucking praise right there.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

Oh you know by now that if ever you need to speak to Coneman you post about FFVII or Metal Gear and he will know.

I mean, I guess the main reason it didn't bother me in the first place is that Hideo's reasoning is fairly valid. He wants to accurately portray a serviceman in his 40's, and I think Keifer is absolutely perfect for it. I will of course miss Hayter's gravelly tones, but I'm rewatching 24 at the minute, and Keifer does them just as well.

Something else too is that in MGS4, Big Boss was not voiced by Hayter then either, while Solid Snake still was, so if the series ever picks up with Solid/Old Snake again you never know. David Hayter would very obviously be open to the idea of re-taking the role. I'd be more enraged if it was actually Solid Snake, or if they ever did anything mental like remake an old Metal Gear game without him. Going forward doesn't bother me so much.
    I don't think I'm like this anymore, though many on this forum might think otherwise.
    As I've grown up some. back in the day. I even use myself as an example. reflected on things that happened in the past. I have a better understanding of things now. At least I can admit it now. I have somehow caused this situation by mentioning how I used to act on here. how I've changed. I'm a relatively normal poster now

Something else too is that in MGS4, Big Boss was not voiced by Hayter then either, while Solid Snake still was, so if the series ever picks up with Solid/Old Snake again you never know. David Hayter would very obviously be open to the idea of re-taking the role. I'd be more enraged if it was actually Solid Snake, or if they ever did anything mental like remake an old Metal Gear game without him. Going forward doesn't bother me so much.
    Ok, that actually helped me a lot. I still feel bad for Hayter, but yeah, better.

I will of course miss Hayter's gravelly tones, but I'm rewatching 24 at the minute, and Keifer does them just as well.
    Really? Weird, I was re-watching the first season just the other day myself. I've taken to watching things on Netflix while playing games. If I want to mostly concentrate on the game I throw on something I've seen before, so 24 found it's way back on to my screen.

Smartphones have completely ruined my productivity on forums. I've been meaning to reply to that since literally two weeks ago. I find now that because my phone with my wifi is so instantly accessible, that I won't turn on my computer to use the internet unless it's something I literally cannot do on my phone. Also, smartphone touch screens are far too annoying to type up anything long or meaningful. So forums just completely fall by the wayside, unless I'm taking a shit at work and need something to read, then I just get frustrated because I'm too lazy to reply. This should be a topic all it's own actually...maybe more on that later...

Anyway. So I made a mistake earlier, The Phantom Pain is actually the tagline, it's "Ground Zeroes" that is the opening chapter. So yeah, you're basically right. I'm still excited to see how they release the two.

I'll probably reply to this the next time my "smart" phone doesn't let me order an online bank statement.

This should be a topic all it's own actually...maybe more on that later...
    I've never actually owned a smartphone, though I did have a phone capable of at least browsing the forum and used to occasionally do so on the bus home from work. I discovered that I would read threads, think of witty things I wanted to say, intend to type them up as soon as I got home...then collapse into the obligatory post-work malaise of food, tv and sweet, sweet braindeath.

When I did finally get on the forums I could no longer be bothered to type up the awesome posts I had composed in my head because, apparently, my brain felt like it had already done that and had no desire to do it again. I had the same problem with emails. People would get annoyed with me for not replying and then I'd realize holy shit, I only replied to that in my fucking head on the bus.

They're probably replacing Hayter to kind of prepare the fans for whenever the inevitable movie actually happens, and Hayter isn't cast. They want a name, and like "hey lololz Jack Bauer, omgz". Hayter's awesome and all, but he was probably causing them problems from a money-grubbing business sense, if they were wanting to move Snake out of games. The dweeb masses would never really accept anyone but him in the role.

Sucks, but happens I guess.

By the way, Hayter needs to resurrect his Black Widow movie script, now that the Marvel stuff's had a huge shot in the arm post-Avengers. He'd be perfect for gritting that up a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
    They're probably replacing Hayter to kind of prepare the fans for whenever the inevitable movie actually happens, and Hayter isn't cast
    Hayter would never have been cast as Snake and I think pretty much everyone accepts that. Christian Bale was in talks to play Snake in a Metal Gear movie, but Kojima put the breaks on because he realised it just won't work. I kind of hope they never do an MGS movie. The games emulate movies perfectly well, and a 6-8 hour experience is always going to be superior to a 1 and a half hour experience.

. They want a name, and like "hey lololz Jack Bauer, omgz". Hayter's awesome and all, but he was probably causing them problems from a money-grubbing business sense
    Think about this. I mean really. You honestly think David Hayter is more costly for voice work than Keifer fucking Sutherland? They've also changed the entire process of their voice capture. It used to be the actors in booths with pages, and syncing to the words to the animation. Sutherland is now fully acting out the role of Snake with motion capture, and voice capture, which is ported directly into the game. Now, I don't know the figures, but I imagine this is an insurmountably *more* costly process, and adding Sutherlands paycheck in kills any chance of it being more cost effective.

This was not a monetary decision, it's a creative one, and the more I think about it, it's the right one to have made. I know Hayter can act, but even the dudes voice work is campy as hell, Metal Gear needs to move into mo-cap and face-cap like every other game in the industry, and Hayter would not have done that anywhere nearly as well as Sutherland. Then having a seperate animation and voice actor for Snake would be even worse.
    Last edited by mrconeman; 09-28-2013 at 06:58 AM.

I have no idea why I haven't responded to this thread yet, seeing as I'm a ridiculously huge Metal Gear fan. One thing that hasn't been brought up yet is the fact that they didn't rehire David Hayter for the English version, but the rehired the same voice actor for the Japanese version. If anyone was going to replace Hayter, I'm glad it was Sutherland, but that's kind of a lame move to pull on Hayter, especially because he is notorious for being a huge fan of the games himself, being one of the only cast members to actually play through all of the games he did work for (I believe he even offered to cut his own pay in order to get all the original voice actors back for the MGS1: Twin Snakes remake).

Despite this, however, I'm super excited for the game. Seeing some gameplay trailers, it looks like the open world style is going to blend really well with classic Metal Gear gameplay to make a truly unique gaming experience. I like the looks of the story so far (the little bit we've seen) and I'm like 150% convinced that Eli is Liquid Snake in his youth. The age is correct for the time period, and here's a little something I copied from the IGN board:

"Eli and David are Biblical figures who were cursed to have their lines killed off before they could grow old.
    and...
    Liquid and Solid Snake were born in 1972, by 1984 they'd be 12 years old. Liquid is fluent in Arabic, as he had spent a lot of time in the Middle East, so...
    David is Solid Snake's name, so there's a connection."

The kid even looks like Liquid in the trailer we saw, so I'm really hoping this ends up happening.
    Quote Originally Posted by pyro offspring View Post
    is it true that obama may legaliz it?