Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brian Cox says time-travel is possible!

Default Brian Cox says time-travel is possible!

But only travelling to the future.

I'm not sure why I even click on articles like that anymore. They only infuriate me.

Time-travel to the future is not time-travel. If it is then we're all time-travellers already. It's totally cheating, honestly. It's only time-travel if you literally skip the intervening time. It doesn't count if you merely wait it out, even if from your perspective it felt nearly instantaneous.

I just happened to randomly watch Deja Vu today without knowing anything about it. The 2006 Denzel Washington movie. Surprisingly good time-travel flick.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.” – Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    But only travelling to the future.

I'm not sure why I even click on articles like that anymore. They only infuriate me.

Time-travel to the future is not time-travel. If it is then we're all time-travellers already. It's totally cheating, honestly. It's only time-travel if you literally skip the intervening time. It doesn't count if you merely wait it out, even if from your perspective it felt nearly instantaneous.

I just happened to randomly watch Deja Vu today without knowing anything about it. The 2006 Denzel Washington movie. Surprisingly good time-travel flick.
    You know, his name is not Sam Beckett, and it's not Emett Brown. Therefore, his opinion is irrelevant.

Déjà-vu just appeared on my downloading list. Thanks

All the Beautiful Things you do

Respect my authoritah !

1 members appreciate this post.

Oh boy.

By the way, I recently began re-watching The X-Files for the first time in, well, maybe not since it first aired. I'm about halfway through season one. It has aged far, far better than I expected. Very impressed.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.” – Bill Hicks

Oh boy.

By the way, I recently began re-watching The X-Files for the first time in, well, maybe not since it first aired. I'm about halfway through season one. It has aged far, far better than I expected. Very impressed.
    Indeed ! I can't wait for the BR release for Christmas.

Also, I think, strangely, that some episodes of the second season aged far more than the first season. I have the one with vampires in mind (which, by the way, is a terrible episode). And the one with the fungus growing out of people's neck. Ugly.

Scully doesn't like it either, look :

Season 3 and season 4 are definitely the best.
    Last edited by Harleyquiiinn; 09-12-2013 at 04:18 AM.

Respect my authoritah !

Quote Originally Posted by Harleyquiiinn View Post
    Season 3 and season 4 are definitely the best.
    Really? I've forgotten so much about the show, apparently. I vaguely remember liking the first two seasons the best, but that may have been more circumstantial. I taped the first two seasons as they aired, and I had companion books to go with them, and basically just totally obsessed over them and watched them over and over.

Oh my god, Mulder and Scully look so young to me now. That's scary. Particularly Mulder, probably because I've seen him recently in Californication.

Vaguely remember the vampire episode being pretty awful, yeah. So far for me the first Tooms episode has probably been the best. I also really like the episode that's basically just an homage to The Thing, though that's more because I love The Thing really. My least favourite was probably the one with the building operated by a murderous AI (I disliked that one as a kid too) and I'm most looking forward to Darkness Falls. I loved that episode so much as a kid that I've never forgotten the name of it.

Really? I've forgotten so much about the show, apparently. I vaguely remember liking the first two seasons the best, but that may have been more circumstantial. I taped the first two seasons as they aired, and I had companion books to go with them, and basically just totally obsessed over them and watched them over and over.

Oh my god, Mulder and Scully look so young to me now. That's scary. Particularly Mulder, probably because I've seen him recently in Californication.

Vaguely remember the vampire episode being pretty awful, yeah. So far for me the first Tooms episode has probably been the best. I also really like the episode that's basically just an homage to The Thing, though that's more because I love The Thing really. My least favourite was probably the one with the building operated by a murderous AI (I disliked that one as a kid too) and I'm most looking forward to Darkness Falls. I loved that episode so much as a kid that I've never forgotten the name of it.
    The green bugs ! this is a very stressful episode. That's one of the first one I saw. It is a great one.

Season 3 has one of my favorite episode called D.P.O. with a very young Jack Black and the guy who was playing Phoebe's brother in Friends. Also in that season, there is "Jose Chung's 'From Outer Space'" which is a must-see.
    Season 4 has one of the best episode of the whole show IMO, I think it's called "Home".

Also, one that's great in Season 5 is the one with Bryan Cranston, called "Drive"... Which is funny... that's where he and Vince Gilligan met

Respect my authoritah !

Somehow the bbs just ate my post. Frustrating.

Basically, though, I was saying how awesome it is that Vince Gilligan worked on The X-Files. I did not know that. Apparently he wrote about 30 episodes and did a lot of work as a producer.

So if Bryan Cranston hadn't got that part on The X-Files he never would have been cast in Breaking Bad. Weird. He was also in the recent film called Drive starring Ryan Gosling.
    Last edited by Paint_It_Black; 09-12-2013 at 07:07 AM.

To “travel” forward in time, you simply need to accelerate to speeds close to the speed of light, Cox says - as you get close to that speed, time slows down, but only for you, according to Einstein’s Theory of Special Relativity.

“If you go fast, your clock runs slow relative to people who are still. As you approach the speed of light, your clock runs so slow you could come back 10,000 years in the future," said Professor Cox.
    Imagine if you sat in your time capsule and merely observed a comet destroying the earth. And you'd know that you couldn't go back. You could only maybe keep going forward until life emerges again.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

You wouldn't be able to observe it, it would be like watching a video in super-fast-forward while on every drug known to man. It would just be a blur of light and chaos.

The real question is would you take a 1-way ticket to the future?

My answer? Sorry loved-ones, my curiosity would pretty much force me to.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.