Thread: SMASH - the album that changed it all

Hybrid View

1 members appreciate this post.

Default SMASH - the album that changed it all

This is the album that probably got most of us into The Offspring, it's a gem not only in punk-rock but rock in general. Solid from start to finish, it gave birth to the band's trade-mark sound: punk-rock with elements of metal, alternative rock, grunge music.

It's always been hard to put my finger on how to describe the sound of this record. It's fresh, rebellious, it has character, anger, and melody, it's fun, fast with powerful riffs, yes, the guitars are the highlight, Dexter's unique voice, there's something about it that makes the songs credible, honest. The whole sound of the record is one of a kind.

So what's your opinion on it? When did you first listen to it? Share as many details as you want about this masterpiece.

PS: I had left spaces between paragraphs but it doesn't look that way now. Strage...
    Last edited by NitroGuy; 09-11-2013 at 07:58 PM.

Yeah, Smash was the album that got me into The Offspring too. I first heard of them in 1994 when KROQ was playing "Come Out and Play", and hadn't owned Smash until about a year later or something. It was in fact one of the first albums I ever got and it changed my life. There are actually too many tracks on Smash that I consider my favorite. Like Green Day's Dookie, Red Hot Chili Peppers' Blood Sugar Sex Magik, Pearl Jam's Ten, Alice in Chains' Dirt, The Smashing Pumpkins' Siamese Dream, just to name a few, Smash is an essential 90's rock album and remains not only a classic in the 90's rock scene, but thanks to the success of the singles "Come Out and Play", "Self Esteem" and "Gotta Get Away", it will always be remembered as the album that helped bring punk rock back to the mainstream.
    The founder of The Offspring Wikia, and looking for someone to help out, find out why at this thread.

I'm a recent Offspring fan, having gotten into their music into the past year. I've heard them on the radio before "Self Esteem," but haven't really looked into them further than "that band that does that song." Then I looked up Smash.

I've been accustomed to rock bands that have one or two powerhouse singles, and then an album full of filler, but Smash proved that oh so wrong. It had diversity, it had drive, and an energy that went all the way to the end. I've come to love their other albums individually, but none were as well rounded as Smash.