Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the real deal with Gone Away?

Default What's the real deal with Gone Away?

I've been searching the web -- and I even stumbled upon an archived topic from this very same forum -- trying to find info on the story behind this great song. However, I have found different theories:

Some believe it's about Dexter's girlfriend who died in a car crash in 1994. That woman was Dexter's daughter's mother.

Some say it's all just made up.

Any source to confirm or reject this? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by NitroGuy View Post
    I've been searching the web -- and I even stumbled upon an archived topic from this very same forum -- trying to find info on the story behind this great song. However, I have found different theories:

Some believe it's about Dexter's girlfriend who died in a car crash in 1994. That woman was Dexter's daughter's mother.

Some say it's all just made up.

Any source to confirm or reject this? Thanks.
    It's something personal that isn't being shared for a reason. this thread will be closed and deleted...

1 members appreciate this post.

Dexter had a cat, one day while playing the poor animal jumped on the street while a nuclear truck was running over. the cat at first survived and made its way to Dexter's window just to say good bye. this is what happened.

What's with the attitude, lol? Why would this be closed anyway? I just wanted to know, isn't this a forum to actually discuss things?

What's with the attitude, lol? Why would this be closed anyway? I just wanted to know, isn't this a forum to actually discuss things?
    Should be but it's better to not ask 'certain questions' and sometimes even more better not to have too much of an opinion
    Turn the lights on.

Because you should read the guidlines of the forum before posting. And if you read some interviews you will probably get it anyway. everyone in life loses someone unfortunately, it doesn't matter if it's a friend, a girlfriend, a wife, a son, whatever it is it will always be something that marks you forever. The meaning of the song won't change knowing exactly who was written for, that's only gossip that with time we learned to be not interested on here. just learn it for the next time.

(no attitude this time )

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter_italy View Post
    Because you should read the guidlines of the forum before posting. And if you read some interviews you will probably get it anyway. everyone in life loses someone unfortunately, it doesn't matter if it's a friend, a girlfriend, a wife, a son, whatever it is it will always be something that marks you forever. The meaning of the song won't change knowing exactly who was written for, that's only gossip that with time we learned to be not interested on here. just learn it for the next time.

(no attitude this time )
    There's NOTHING in the guidelines about this song or anything similar for that matter. Secondly, there's nothing wrong with wanting to know (or the artists willing to share the story behind a song). It's cristal clear the song's about loss, for some actually knowing who it was inspired by may make them ike it or appreciate it more. No big deal, no need to make a federal case out of this. It'd be a good idea to fave a FAQ section on the main sire or as a sticky therad in the forum with subjects like this one.

You know what happened when searching the web for an explanation on this song? I came across a few topics from this forum dating back to 2005 and 2008. HOWEVER, I was able to read them fine, as if they still were not archived. Yet, there's some other threads from those years and even newer ones that have been archived. HOW COME? Anyone care to explain?

There's the bit in the guidelines that says:

Please do not post personal information about others. This includes
    posting private e-mails and PMís without their permission. This includes
    the band. Donít discuss their private information.

But it's basic politeness really - if the information were public domain then you wouldn't need to work to track it down and you wouldn't need to pose the question.

The question about the archive is a separate thing and could probably be asked in the Offspring.com Talk forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Britpunk View Post
    There's the bit in the guidelines that says:

Please do not post personal information about others. This includes
    posting private e-mails and PMís without their permission. This includes
    the band. Donít discuss their private information.

But it's basic politeness really - if the information were public domain then you wouldn't need to work to track it down and you wouldn't need to pose the question.

The question about the archive is a separate thing and could probably be asked in the Offspring.com Talk forum.
    Fair enough, though I took that as "don't post personal info dealing with the band members addresses or familiy pics or pics of the members while in their private life", which is absolutely understandable, not actually discussing their art (songs). It's a bit oversensitive. Oh well...