Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33

Thread: What's the real deal with Gone Away?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    291


    Default

    This was one subject they haven't touched. Nobody knows where the rumors started, so no one can verify them. Someone could just be throwing around blind assumptions for all we know.

    The Offspring is surprisingly not very open about their personal lives; in true punk fashion, they haven't let fame interfere with that. Dexter's past is made all the more mysterious through cryptic songs on the band's first album.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Posts
    4,412


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NitroGuy View Post
    What's with the attitude, lol? Why would this be closed anyway? I just wanted to know, isn't this a forum to actually discuss things?
    There was no attitude, I was just telling you what will happen inevitably and why. Not sure if moderators contact you and tell you why these thing happen.

    Some people and artists have very public and open lives both professional and personal, because they are comfortable with that, and that is great. Others choose to not, which is also cool. Dexter tends to be more on the private side, and it has to be respected. I am also very curious as to what Gone Away is about, and seeing as I think he has shared it with some people who aren't personal friends merely acquiantances, I think he would share it with me as well. I have however not asked him out of respect.

    I consider the man to be one of the greatest artists of our times, and not putting him on the spot like that and appreciating his values and wishes is something I do in return for what I get from his art.

    No attitude just telling you how it is.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    617


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NitroGuy View Post
    It's a bit oversensitive. Oh well...
    Oversensitive? And here I was thinking I'm an asshole.

    Fuck you royally, dingus.

  4. #14


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oxygene View Post
    There was no attitude, I was just telling you what will happen inevitably and why. Not sure if moderators contact you and tell you why these thing happen.

    Some people and artists have very public and open lives both professional and personal, because they are comfortable with that, and that is great. Others choose to not, which is also cool. Dexter tends to be more on the private side, and it has to be respected. I am also very curious as to what Gone Away is about, and seeing as I think he has shared it with some people who aren't personal friends merely acquiantances, I think he would share it with me as well. I have however not asked him out of respect.

    I consider the man to be one of the greatest artists of our times, and not putting him on the spot like that and appreciating his values and wishes is something I do in return for what I get from his art.

    No attitude just telling you how it is.
    I was clearly referring to Dexter-Italy's response. Irony and sarcasm seem to be the order of the day here, I guess. Why not flat-out and politely reply instead?

    I agree with you about Dexter being a genious as an artists and I have nothign but respect. It's just that the whole issue has become blown out of proportion and it doesn't help that some pople here are oversensitive (yes, Eskimo, oversensitive) so what you'll get is a snow ball out of this subject instead. As I said there should be a FAQ on this fórum dealign with certain music topics.

    You've said Dexter has shared the meanin' with some people outside his inner circle. Can you refer me to that? Is it here in the forum? Thanks for a mature reply, anyway.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nykoping, Sweden
    Posts
    1,882


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NitroGuy View Post
    I was clearly referring to Dexter-Italy's response. Irony and sarcasm seem to be the order of the day here, I guess. Why not flat-out and politely reply instead?

    I agree with you about Dexter being a genious as an artists and I have nothign but respect. It's just that the whole issue has become blown out of proportion and it doesn't help that some pople here are oversensitive (yes, Eskimo, oversensitive) so what you'll get is a snow ball out of this subject instead. As I said there should be a FAQ on this fórum dealign with certain music topics.

    You've said Dexter has shared the meanin' with some people outside his inner circle. Can you refer me to that? Is it here in the forum? Thanks for a mature reply, anyway.
    You know, you get a mature reply when you ask mature question...just look at you topic title, "what's the deal" . Even if you don't know the real fact you can imagine that it's a serious argoument, so coming and acting like "guys what's the deal is it true that his girlfriend died?" is rude and you should think about it to understand what you did wrong. Gone away is from 1997, if up to 2013 nobody is certain of the story behind it (if there is really one) there must be a reason for it and you should respect it.

    bye
    My Guitars cover channel

    Batman Ninja guitars ---- > https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsu...mNXVmfkL4Mi32Q

  6. #16


    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter_italy View Post
    You know, you get a mature reply when you ask mature question...just look at you topic title, "what's the deal" . Even if you don't know the real fact you can imagine that it's a serious argoument, so coming and acting like "guys what's the deal is it true that his girlfriend died?" is rude and you should think about it to understand what you did wrong. Gone away is from 1997, if up to 2013 nobody is certain of the story behind it (if there is really one) there must be a reason for it and you should respect it.

    bye
    My Gosh...! How am I supposed to know anything? That's why I'm fucking asking. Ins't it self explanatory? Again, what's rude about a simple and direct question? Nothing as there were users who replied nicely without any cheap attempt at sarcasm or irony.

  7. #17


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NitroGuy View Post
    My Gosh...! How am I supposed to know anything? That's why I'm fucking asking. Ins't it self explanatory? Again, what's rude about a simple and direct question? Nothing as there were users who replied nicely without any cheap attempt at sarcasm or irony.

    All this gay overreaction happens just 'cause people know there is a chance Dexter will read this and sympathize with them saiyng "Oh it's too personal, don't ask" and blah blah blah

    It's just NOT honest to be angry about someone asking this. It's safe to say all we fans would like to know if and who the song is about.

    This overprotection of the band is too much ass kissing. Like people here complaining when someone criticize them in anyway. No one is perfect, even this amazing band we love so much. Everyone can be criticized.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    537


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by malepunker View Post
    All this gay overreaction happens just 'cause people know there is a chance Dexter will read this and sympathize with them saiyng "Oh it's too personal, don't ask" and blah blah blah

    It's just NOT honest to be angry about someone asking this. It's safe to say all we fans would like to know if and who the song is about.

    This overprotection of the band is too much ass kissing. Like people here complaining when someone criticize them in anyway. No one is perfect, even this amazing band we love so much. Everyone can be criticized.
    Totally agree, give it a rest, guys. Stop ruining your life over one person's curiosity over a song. Wow. He did nothing wrong.
    My Offspring
    July 2nd, 2010 - Maryland Heights, Missouri
    July 20th, 2012 - St. Louis, Missouri

    Quote Originally Posted by TheOldMark
    I used to collect old offspring bootlegs, I have them on a hard drive somewhere. Crossroads, Something to believe in, come out swinging, never gonna find me, dirty magic (electric in austrailia, and acoustic in austrailia) i definitely have.
    Mark, we're not giving up.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Posts
    4,412


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NitroGuy View Post
    I was clearly referring to Dexter-Italy's response. Irony and sarcasm seem to be the order of the day here, I guess. Why not flat-out and politely reply instead?

    I agree with you about Dexter being a genious as an artists and I have nothign but respect. It's just that the whole issue has become blown out of proportion and it doesn't help that some pople here are oversensitive (yes, Eskimo, oversensitive) so what you'll get is a snow ball out of this subject instead. As I said there should be a FAQ on this fórum dealign with certain music topics.

    You've said Dexter has shared the meanin' with some people outside his inner circle. Can you refer me to that? Is it here in the forum? Thanks for a mature reply, anyway.
    First off you kind of seem to expect patience and understanding from everyone saying you "just asked" a question... well please be so kind and have patience and be understanding you are the X millionth person we have to clear this issue up with who comes in and asks the question. Because these threads get closed/deleted even those searching to find an answer are stuck, and usually end up posting the question. To a lot of us, it's become a reflex.

    Like I said I ignore this topic out of pure respect, I think some super fans have asked him and gotten replies, or so they've told me. But I am not sure which one(s), and even so they would definatley not be at liberty to reveal it, so I apologize, but the trail ends here...

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    617


    Default

    The dude's partner died. It's not about ass-kissing, you utter chimp, it's about basic respect in bringing it up as little as possible. People have asked the band guys about it directly before, and it's a stupid shitty thing to inquire about.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •