Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meaning of Manic Subsidal

Question Meaning of Manic Subsidal

What is that supposed to mean? I know what "manic" is, but what about "subsidal"?

Thanks.

It's based off the word "subside," which means to "become less intense, violent, or severe."

So Manic Subsidal basically means gradually becoming less crazed and violent (my interpretation). As Dexter and Noodles have said, it was named that way basically to sound punk. But with someone as smart as Dexter, I think there's definitely a meaning behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post
    It's based off the word "subside," which means to "become less intense, violent, or severe."

So Manic Subsidal basically means gradually becoming less crazed and violent (my interpretation). As Dexter and Noodles have said, it was named that way basically to sound punk. But with someone as smart as Dexter, I think there's definitely a meaning behind it.
    I see, it's just odd to see the word "subsidal"; it doesn't exist in dictionaries. What kind of word is it? A noun?

I don't know exactly what the word "subsidal" means, but I thought it was a parody of the word "suicidal".
    The founder of The Offspring Wikia, and looking for someone to help out, find out why at this thread.

I read once they went with MANIC SUICIDAL instead because of so many mispellings of their original name, this is prior to getting the Offspring name from that mediocre horror film.

Not sure about that, but I only heard Manic Suicidal was simply one of the many misspellings (which lead to them changing their name). Also, The Offspring had their name before the movie, which was released the next year in 1987 (although many early Offspring releases steal the font from the movie). The meaning behind the name 'The Offspring' is still a mystery, which is pretty cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroGuy View Post
    I see, it's just odd to see the word "subsidal"; it doesn't exist in dictionaries. What kind of word is it? A noun?
    It would be an adjective. Like others, I believe it's rooted with "suicidal," mixed with "subside." Subsidal itself isn't a word.

I guess the parody of suicidal makes sense then, in which case it'd be an adjective, you're right -- and the whole phrase a compund adjective. Thank God they went with The Offspring instead, the guys would've been sick and tired of having to explain the meaning in interviews by now, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post
    (although many early Offspring releases steal the font from the movie)
    2 releases, to be precise. Baghdad and S/T. That's not many.

Oh, and They Were Born to Kill, but that's a bootleg.

The Offspring may have been inspired by the band name The Descendants. Odd the meaning behind the band's name has never come up in interviews, especially from back in the day.

Yeah, I was pretty sure they just took the font from the movie and used it for Ignition and Baghdad. And that bootleg, of course. To subside basically means to ebb or retreat, so I always got the impression that it was implying a hermit-like behavior.