Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ignition: Alternate Cover

Default Ignition: Alternate Cover

Not sure why it took me so long to discover that Ignition actually has two artworks (not counting the cassette tape):

These two artworks have actually been around since the beginning: the CD artwork we all know well, but the vinyl artwork featured a different stone pattern and different font size and spacing ('ignition' is centered). I don't think the color scheme was an original change; that's probably just a product of the image being restored.

I think the second image may actually be the first artwork, as it became the cover to the CD as well after it was remastered by Epitaph in 2007.

While the art is extremely similar, it's still different enough to be considered an alternate cover in my book (whereas they only messed with the image tone on the remastered Smash). I'm curious, how many people actually noticed this? Am I late to the party?

I wasn't aware of that. Cool fun fact.

Speaking of alternate álbum covers, the self-titled one has has 3 at least. The black and White (first ever) with the guitar alien, then the one we all are most familiar with when the album was re-issued (that humanoid face out of focu), and I've read the was a third one (which I've never seen) that came out under Nitro Records in the mid-'90s.

I mentionted that.you can see all the versions here http://theoffspring.eu/item/ignition-cd.html
    www.theoffspring.eu unofficial european fanclub with the most completed discography and thousands of live downloads

Isti: your pic with dex and greg is just epic

Damn, you're always one step ahead of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroGuy View Post
    I wasn't aware of that. Cool fun fact.

Speaking of alternate álbum covers, the self-titled one has has 3 at least. The black and White (first ever) with the guitar alien, then the one we all are most familiar with when the album was re-issued (that humanoid face out of focu), and I've read the was a third one (which I've never seen) that came out under Nitro Records in the mid-'90s.
    There's only two. The 1995 Nitro artwork is the same as all the reissues afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post
    Damn, you're always one step ahead of me.

There's only two. The 1995 Nitro artwork is the same as all the reissues afterwards.
    Scroll down to the table showing the reléase history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Offspring_(album)

Maybe it's worded in a confusing way but I got from it that there were more than two covers.

Interesting! I didn't know this! Great find, Mega Man!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Another Pilot Down: The Artwork of George Gonzalez
    website | blog | facebook | twitter | deviantart

No problem, man
    Scroll down to the table showing the reléase history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Offspring_(album)

Maybe it's worded in a confusing way but I got from it that there were more than two covers.
    I was confused by that as well. But I've just gone with the assumption that it used the Nitro artwork. Got any info on this, Greekoldfan?

The most interesting pressing of the album was CD release of the original on Nemesis. The only reason I know about this is from theoffspring.eu:
    http://www.theoffspring.eu/item/the-...?category_id=1
    Interestingly enough, it appears to be a legitimate release by Nemesis, so it may not be a bootleg. It seems to be released in the wake of Smash's success, possibly before Dexter bought back their old catalog. Maybe that's why this release was cut short(?).

wiki doesn't say that they are 2 different covers on Nitro. there are 2 covers in total.one on nemesis and one on Nitro. the japan version released on nitro/epic records on 31th july 2002
    www.theoffspring.eu unofficial european fanclub with the most completed discography and thousands of live downloads

I guess it's only two then.

What do you guys make out of the second, the re-issue one? The figure looks like a humanoid alien, like the greys.

I guess it's only two then.

What do you guys make out of the second, the re-issue one? The figure looks like a humanoid alien, like the greys.
    I guess it is a soldier like the other inlay pics.the right bottom one shows 3 soldiers,the right top a fire/explosion on the woods.the info/thanks page of the inlay is the b/w version back cover picture of the '89 release that shows the skin of a hand.