Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How much do you care about your contributions in your productive life?

A state that's untouchable like Elliot Ness

Angry

sociology majors always seem to reek of smug douche. maybe I'm letting a few bad sociologically inclined eggs spoil their rep.

ps I didn't realize how I missed ur pozts till this thread. but sometimes it really IS as if an alien dropped shit on this planet for your personal pleasure.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I like women who enjoy being dissatisfied sexually.

Oh, yeah, I can totally imagine them being smug douchebags. In my limited time in higher education the sociology and psychology teachers were only bested by philosophy teachers when it came to total smug douchebaggery.

I merely suspect your sociology majors actually feel superior to everyone in fairly equal amounts. I would be surprised if they singled out labourers.

Quote Originally Posted by calichix View Post
    ps I didn't realize how I missed ur pozts till this thread.
    I drop shit on this bbs for your personal pleasure.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

Work in a restaurant, love working in a restaurant. We only have three chefs on most nights, and the two of us on the fryer/grill line really, really have to work together. I want my co-workers to respect the work I do, and I want the customers to get what they pay for and enjoy the food.

I haven't been doing this for long, and I have a lot to learn, especially when working lunch, because it's mostly just me cooking and one other person doing prep. Before I went to bed last night I was thinking about how I would go about cooking different dishes in the most efficient way. Like, if I get two dishes that need to be out at the same time, I have to really prioritize and find out what takes a long time and what I can do while something else is resting or just sitting in the oven. I actually got one of the tickets I prepared for today, and I wrecked that shit.

I really love my job, even if it's a pain in the ass to work 3 doubles straight. I think it helps that my boss is not only my best friends father, but he's one of the best chefs in the state, if not country.
    I wrote a four word letter.

I had a sociology class, I'd comment but I only attended one lecture.

I always thought the worst academics were business school students. Though I remember getting a good grade in sociology cause it was really easy to "write to" the professor. There was definitely a stereotype at play.
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman View Post
    I always thought the worst academics were business school students.
    Now there's a group I'll happily stigmatize.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

I took one sociology class in college as a general, and I loved it. I had a great professor, and I still remember a lot of what we learned 10 years later. She wasn't arrogant at all, but I do remember a lot of my fellow students who were sociology majors being so. I love sociology, and it's part of why I've lived in four countries so far. It's really sad that so many people who study it become such dolts.

Quote Originally Posted by WebDudette View Post
    Work in a restaurant, love working in a restaurant. We only have three chefs on most nights, and the two of us on the fryer/grill line really, really have to work together. I want my co-workers to respect the work I do, and I want the customers to get what they pay for and enjoy the food.

I haven't been doing this for long, and I have a lot to learn, especially when working lunch, because it's mostly just me cooking and one other person doing prep. Before I went to bed last night I was thinking about how I would go about cooking different dishes in the most efficient way. Like, if I get two dishes that need to be out at the same time, I have to really prioritize and find out what takes a long time and what I can do while something else is resting or just sitting in the oven. I actually got one of the tickets I prepared for today, and I wrecked that shit.

I really love my job, even if it's a pain in the ass to work 3 doubles straight. I think it helps that my boss is not only my best friends father, but he's one of the best chefs in the state, if not country.
    That's awesome. I respect people who find motivation from helping people in whatever it is they do. In that kind of restaurant where you're actually cooking good and different food, you really are doing society a favor. It's not the same as working in fast food. It brightens people's lives to go try well-prepared food in a restaurant that they wouldn't cook at home, in a good atmosphere. And very cool that you care so much that the customers have a great experience.

I used to work at Perkins. That is not the kind of place to which this applies. I judged nearly every customer we had. Especially on holidays. Couple goes out for Valentine's Day - to Perkins. Judge judge judge. I was the worst waitress on holidays for that reason. Shitty food, zero atmosphere, all about maximum profit and turning tables as fast as possible (we were timed and were expected to average 40 minutes from entering the food to the customers leaving... what the fuck kind of dining experience is that? We also were expected to convince every customer to order a drink even if they didn't want one.) The only things that motivated me at all there were when I was working with good coworkers - we were good friends - and tips. Sometimes there were good customers, but most of those people were so falsely entitled, it drove me nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Soc and psych majors...I never understood them in school. I mean what is the purpose of actually majoring in this shit? I took several of these courses but jeezuz, majoring? Fucking useless. They are good prep courses for the restaurant industry...be sure to tip them well when they bring your drinks.

Aw, I'm sure you'll figure it out. You probably think a law degree is really useful on the job market.
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

Quote Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
    I respect people who find motivation from helping people in whatever it is they do.
    Totally.

When I worked as a night auditor in hotels I really wanted the hotel guests to have a good time. It was particularly important to me because I worked the night shift. The people I saw, other than annoying drunk party types, were weary business travellers checking in for 5 hours sleep before hitting the road again, or families suffering from flight delays and other unexpected misfortune that resulted in them checking in in the middle of the night. These people really appreciated whatever little kindness I could show them. Free room upgrades, free breakfast, whatever I could give without getting in trouble.

I also quite liked that the night shift regularly presented unusual situations. Victims of domestic assault, medical emergencies, mentally ill individuals, or just interesting old men with insomnia who just wanted someone to listen to them for a while. Basically, lots of opportunities to feel like I was doing my good deed for the day.

For about a year I worked with a security guard who was a really great guy. The only co-worker I've ever thought of as a friend. He shared my values and between us we gave ridiculously good service. I mean we would find a way to fulfil basically any request any guest had and if there was any way to provide it free of charge we would do so.

Of course, any act can be argued to be a selfish act in some way. Giving exceptional service made me feel good. Finding ways to excel stopped my boring job from being quite so boring. Helping people made my meaningless job feel more important.

My paperwork was similar. I always aimed for perfection, not because I desired productivity, but as a game. And to make the people who depended on my work like and respect me. It was gratifying when they would thank me for my accuracy and attention to detail. It felt good to be valued.

But I couldn't say it was ever about contributing, or productivity, or any innate desire to work hard. It just made me feel good to help others. I believe I am the kind of person who would run into a burning building to pull someone else out. Not because I really want that person to survive. But because I would enjoy the feeling of being the person that saved them. This is not to say I wish to be a "hero". It would not matter to me if anyone else knew. Only the feeling of having done something meaningful would matter. I wonder sometimes, am I a good person? Any altruistic behaviour on my part may in fact be motivated by selfishness. Is this the same for every person who does a good deed? Are good deeds lessened if you enjoy doing them? That line of reasoning would suggest that someone who does a good deed and hates doing it is a better person than me. That doesn't seem quite right either. Does motivation even matter, or are results all that matter? If my life wasn't utterly devoid of prestige and meaning would I even care about other people any more? I wonder, if I were rich and highly successful at something, would I become a total dick? If I no longer felt the need to assign my life value through altruism? Have I latched on to being a "good person" just because it's one of the easiest ways to assign value to my life? Is "being a good person" something that, ultimately, only "losers" concern themselves with? Certainly it would appear that many of the most successful people in this world are sociopaths who care little for others. Oh no I've gone cross-eyed.

I went to the second largest university in the world, which had three campuses and thus a shitload of shuttle buses running every day all around, connecting the campuses together. Driving one of these buses would be far more boring than any other bus driving job because the route is about 15 minutes long, and it's just a shit-ton of loud students all the time every day. And being a bus driver is not really on anyone's list of motivating jobs. But there was this one guy - black dude, always wearing sunglasses, always greeting students with a smile and a "hello". He kept a boombox at the front of the bus and a huge stack of jazz CDs, which he'd play on his bus rides. He'd take requests, talk jazz with students... tons of students hoped every day they'd get the Jazz Man's bus. That guy brightened so many of our days, and he was a shuttle bus driver. He even specifically chose songs to play that were the length of time between stops so the passengers could hear the whole song. Such an awesome dude. http://www.kare11.com/news/news_arti...storyid=842364

Unfortunately, someone ratted him out because apparently the boombox was against policy and the guy got relocated after 12 years. Fucking negative nancies.

Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    Of course, any act can be argued to be a selfish act in some way. Giving exceptional service made me feel good. Finding ways to excel stopped my boring job from being quite so boring. Helping people made my meaningless job feel more important.
    This is so true - everything you said about it. I think about this stuff a lot. What makes a "good person"? What is altruism? Is every single thing we do in life selfish? I kinda prefer to look at it that way - every single thing we do is selfish, so there's kind of a ground basis there. If we assume that, it's easier to decide what is a good act and who is a good person. If we do everything for our own personal gain, the person who helps an old lady cross the street because it makes them feel good is better than the person who robs a bank because it makes them feel good/they like the adrenaline and the risk.

But I couldn't say it was ever about contributing, or productivity, or any innate desire to work hard. It just made me feel good to help others.
    Yes, valid. I mean, I feel that I'm contributing to society in a positive way, and that gives me motivation, but I am not of the attitude that working harder makes a better person, and that someone who doesn't work as hard is lesser/weaker/worse. There's a certain point where laziness does lower my opinion of someone, but while I do not know what the purpose of life is, I certainly could not believe that it's to work as hard as possible. That's insane.
    Last edited by Llamas; 09-23-2013 at 05:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk