Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 63

Thread: How much do you care about your contributions in your productive life?

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    9,826


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
    If we do everything for our own personal gain, the person who helps an old lady cross the street because it makes them feel good is better than the person who robs a bank because it makes them feel good/they like the adrenaline and the risk.

    Hmm, ok. But then what about someone who secretly wants to do really bad things. Like a guy who has rape/murder fantasies and would be considered a high risk for acting on those impulses one day. But so far he has managed to restrain himself, and since he feels conflicted about these thoughts he tries to regain some "positive karma" or something by, I don't know, feeding the homeless or something.

    I like the way you look at it, I just wonder if it's too simplistic. Not a criticism, really. With a subject like this the goal should be to whittle it down to its simplest form. I just wonder if you might have whittled slightly too far.

    In my example, the guy enjoys the idea of doing terrible things, and would almost certainly enjoy the experience too. That should make him a bad guy according to your system. But in reality he has done nothing wrong, and in fact does things society deems good. If only actions are taken into consideration then he would be considered a good person. Clearly, that system would also be too simplistic. I think we need a combination of actions and motivations. Then, my guy does good things, but not because he likes doing good things. He does them out of guilt and fear. Being nice doesn't inherently make him feel good. He's trying to compensate for thinking really bad things. Is he good or bad? Now the question itself is perhaps too simplistic.

    I didn't plan any of this post out, I just sort of rambled as it came to me because I thought it could be fun. Now that I've worked through the idea a little I think I like your system when applying it to relatively normal people in relatively normal situations.

    I've strayed way off-topic but I don't think bighead would mind. This seems like something he'd be interested in.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Cascadian Exile
    Posts
    19,591


    Default

    I think people put too much thought into the selfishness of charitable acts. In the long run its a lot of effort for a marginal amount of joy. Especaly since you could just masturbate and be a dick to everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    9,826


    Default

    The beauty of the internet is that you can masturbate while doing anything.

    Online shopping? Masturbate.

    Social media? Masturbate.

    Porn? Hate yourself and try not to cry.

    The internet, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome to it. Masturbate.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    17,982


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    Hmm, ok. But then what about someone who secretly wants to do really bad things. Like a guy who has rape/murder fantasies and would be considered a high risk for acting on those impulses one day. But so far he has managed to restrain himself, and since he feels conflicted about these thoughts he tries to regain some "positive karma" or something by, I don't know, feeding the homeless or something.

    I like the way you look at it, I just wonder if it's too simplistic. Not a criticism, really. With a subject like this the goal should be to whittle it down to its simplest form. I just wonder if you might have whittled slightly too far.

    In my example, the guy enjoys the idea of doing terrible things, and would almost certainly enjoy the experience too. That should make him a bad guy according to your system. But in reality he has done nothing wrong, and in fact does things society deems good. If only actions are taken into consideration then he would be considered a good person. Clearly, that system would also be too simplistic. I think we need a combination of actions and motivations. Then, my guy does good things, but not because he likes doing good things. He does them out of guilt and fear. Being nice doesn't inherently make him feel good. He's trying to compensate for thinking really bad things. Is he good or bad? Now the question itself is perhaps too simplistic.

    I didn't plan any of this post out, I just sort of rambled as it came to me because I thought it could be fun. Now that I've worked through the idea a little I think I like your system when applying it to relatively normal people in relatively normal situations.

    I've strayed way off-topic but I don't think bighead would mind. This seems like something he'd be interested in.
    Right, it's way more complicated than I made it sound. I've thought about that, as well. I'd say it's all measured based on how good it makes the person feel. The guy who likes the idea of doing terrible things, but doesn't do them and does good things instead surely still feels good from doing those good things. If he felt awful for doing those good things, why would he do them? Someone who feels awful about doing good things and good about doing bad things surely doesn't have a ton of empathy. I'd say this guy has good feelings from doing both bad and good things, and it's a spectrum - how good does he feel about which things? And obviously this guy is better than a guy who acts on the bad things and feels good about doing them. This is really a convoluted and probably unanswerable thing... but interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

    I do not smoke and do not do drugs

    I just do bumpin in my trunk

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,071


    Default

    Talk about over thinking an incredibly simplistic fucking thought. Jeezuz. No wonder you asholes don't get anything done all day. But...but...he felt good about the kind act and therefore he is a great person in my view...however, he also seemed to genuinely enjoy pulling wings off fllies so he must have deep seeded mommy issues and therefore his actions must be looked at as devious blabbbity blabbity stupid ass fucking bullshit my ass blah. Here's the skinny...kind act...goooood. Hurt someone...bad. Take it as they come and judge quickly.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    9,826


    Default

    Run along now MOTO, some trucker needs a fucking slurpy. Get that done, shitdick.

    Meanwhile, llamas can keep being a motherfucking teacher.

    I'll just keep jerkin' it like a conceded asshole.

    Masturbate.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,071


    Default

    You keep over thinking and under reasoning you fucking success story you. Seriously, how do you feel about a kind act? Does it make your weenie feel all fuzzy? People couldn't give 2 shits if it was Charles Manson doing them a solid, they perceive the immediate genius.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    17,982


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MOTO13 View Post
    Talk about over thinking an incredibly simplistic fucking thought. Jeezuz. No wonder you asholes don't get anything done all day.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOTO13 View Post
    You keep over thinking and under reasoning you fucking success story you.
    Lol, right, cause a self-employed private English instructor who has to turn down clients left and right because she's fully booked doesn't get anything done More like, smarter people discuss deeper ideas and concepts...
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

    I do not smoke and do not do drugs

    I just do bumpin in my trunk

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,071


    Default

    Not really addressing you in my little synopsis. You may carry on in your teaching endeavors. If I offended you in any way, I apologize and wish you nothing but the best. It's just my learned opinion that PIB is a tool...of the finest sort of course, but an unbelievable asswad none the less.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    9,826


    Default

    Hey llamas, since you teach English and MOTO is a retarded slurpy-slinger who can't even speak it, could you translate what this conceded asshole is trying to tell me?

    Quote Originally Posted by MOTO13 View Post
    they perceive the immediate genius.
    Everyone perceives my immediate genius.

    Seriously though, learn your fucking language.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •