Thread: Checking some info from the very early days of the band

Question Checking some info from the very early days of the band

I was browsing the entry of the band on Wikipedia and the bio on The Offspring Site and there some data missing on one and the other way about. I wanted to check some facts here.
    In 1983, Dexter (drums) and Greg (bass) met up and started jamming.
    Manic Subsidal was born: Dexter (drums); Greg (bass); Noodles (guitar); Doug Thompson (vocals)
    A different line-up happened afterwards: Dexter (guitar/vocals); Greg (bass); Noodles (guitar); Jim Benton (drums)
    The Offspring is born: Dexter, Greg, Noodles , James Lilja (drums), who would then be replaced by Ron Welty. Is all this correct?

Yes, Ron Welty was a usual fill-in for James (who was very busy with college), until he became the full-time drummer in 1987.

I'm pretty sure James Lilja was the first drummer, who was briefly replaced by Jim Benton before returning. I've heard about Doug Thompson, but I've never actually seen much else besides the fact that he was the original vocalist. There exists virtually no information on Thompson or Benton (except they were apparently friends, and Thompson leaving lead to Benton leaving). Boy, any demos with Thompson singing would sure create a stir.

Also, I think Dexter switched to guitar by the time Manic Subsidal became an official band in 1984. Before, he was just kinda jamming with Greg.

Yes, there's some sketchy details. Hope one day some kind of official biography or interview with the band sets the record straight. On that Offspring Site there's some names not even mentioned on the Wikipedia bio, and the guy persuing his college degree was a different one...

From what I humbly know Kevin was the last to join, before changing the name of the band and James leaving them to become a Pussy Expert . Noodles came from The Clowns Of Death, and If Im not wrong as already a janitor. I think Doug and Jim played in Manic Subsidal at the same time, Im positive I've seen a Cross Country team pic of Dexter and Greg with those guys and I read somewhere Doug was a really crazy guy to tell anecdotes about. http://home.arcor.de/dexy/images/a_greg_dex291.jpg

Ron played in a band FQX and his sister was friend with dexter , he was some sort of a roadie for them in that 1987 vintage show in california.

I've always been intrigued by Clowns of Death. Clearly not intrigued enough to use the search tool, but did they ever actually record anything? Do we even know the personnel or genre involved?

Quote Originally Posted by Britpunk View Post
    I've always been intrigued by Clowns of Death. Clearly not intrigued enough to use the search tool, but did they ever actually record anything? Do we even know the personnel or genre involved?
    Im not positive but I think their name was a reference to a band called Oingo Boingo.

And I think that from The Offspring only Noodles played there.

But Im sure if someone here knows better they will correct me