Thread: Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Default Captain America: The Winter Soldier

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/m...wintersoldier/

Well. THAT exceeded expectations. Holy shit.

Captain America is a dork. So is Superman. Spiderman is okay. Batman makes for cool movies. Only the darker superheroes are tolerable, because their darkness overcomes the nerdy superhero aspect of it.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
    http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/m...wintersoldier/

Well. THAT exceeded expectations. Holy shit.
    Not sure if I'd say exceeded expectations… that's pretty much on-par with the greatness that's to be expected from Marvel. They've had a killer streak that hasn't had a dull note yet (in terms of the Avengers series).

Captain America was one of the most fun heroes to watch. How do you make a serious Captain America movie work in the 21st century? Well, Marvel managed, and it's been a wild ride so far.

Psh, Bighead blows. Nolan's two "grimdarklolz" Bats sequels blew. Well, the script for TDK is awesome (the third one can fellate a tortoise), but his bland bullshit tone-everything-down-to-the-point-it-loses-so-much Michael Mann-meets-Michael Bay directing style are major bullshit.

Begins, admittedly, for the most part is pretty perfect for a starting point.

Well, Mega Man, I was psyched for it, but honestly didn't quite think it would look this impressive. I mean, I basically have no nitpicks with anything there, aside from it being a bit of a shame we're getting the bland "Agent Rogers" SHIELD suit. But that's obviously temporary from the trailer, getting the friggin' WWII digs back by the end seemingly. That's awesome, since the Avengers costume blew so bad.

Redford's going to be killer as the villain. Who else is guessing he's Lukin? Pretty much has to be, I doubt they'd go the "Red Skull cosmically inhabiting someone else's body" route in a movie.

The buddy-cop dynamic with Widow looks awesome, despite it sucking about the rumors they become "a thing". Hate that, but it might not even happen. Falcon's kickin' all kinds of ass, even if his costume needs some red in it, you bastards. Dogfighting with a Quinjet, too cool. Winter Soldier's dead-on from his book design, looks really sinister. Same writers from the first movie, so it's going to be substantive and great, but it blows how apparently Silvestri's not doing the music score again.

But I wouldn't say Marvel have had a "killer streak" lately, Mega Man, I love Iron Man 3 but admittedly it pissed off about 50% of the die-hards. And Thor 2's really solid, but it definitely has some major detractions, it's pretty badly paced and you can tell Malekith was edited to hell in the cutting room.

This really looks like a step up, though, can already kinda tell it'll probably be the most critically acclaimed of the Marvel brand flicks, since the first Iron Man (which is pretty seriously overrated/overhyped) anyway. Didn't think they'd get so much into this political stuff, but it's cool. They had the balls to keep Winter Soldier's commie-star too, wonder if they'll chicken out on having the ex-KGB/Cold War stuff? I sorta-kinda figured they'd just make him HYDRA, after their skirting-around-the-Nazis so much in the first.

I'm just kinda shocked this footage is coming from two guys who were writer/directors on Arrested Development and Community. What the hell? Where did they even learn to...? The staging of those shots is insane, coming from TV people.

Was pretty bummed Joe Johnston wasn't coming back for the sequel, but this is definitely a pretty major 180 in a good way. If the first one was a tribute to Indy, they've gone total Bond with this one. Loving it.
    Last edited by Eskimo; 10-25-2013 at 06:17 PM.

"Darkness" is the dumbest fucking thing I've ever heard to describe a superhero. If someone is legitimately concerned about the preserving the 'darkness' of their favourite superhero translated to film they need to look at jerking off with their other hand.

Every single story about superheroes is a riff on an archetype. Movies included. Trying to hold to purity is like trying to convince someone to stick their thumb up your ass to play with your prostate when you've never even tried yourself. There's almost something there, but you don't even know what it is so just stop.
    Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.

Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    "Darkness" is the dumbest fucking thing I've ever heard to describe a superhero. If someone is legitimately concerned about the preserving the 'darkness' of their favourite superhero translated to film they need to look at jerking off with their other hand.

Every single story about superheroes is a riff on an archetype. Movies included. Trying to hold to purity is like trying to convince someone to stick their thumb up your ass to play with your prostate when you've never even tried yourself. There's almost something there, but you don't even know what it is so just stop.
    This makes very little sense considering the simple comment I made, so it's strange to see the "laying down the law" tone here. All I've basically said is, I find most superheros corny and hard to take seriously (they are all originally designed for children after all). And, in my opinion, Batman's darker imagery (movies directed by Tim Burton, etc) makes him seem a bit less corny. Douche.
    Last edited by bighead384; 10-26-2013 at 01:57 PM.

Yes well I was terrifically wasted and coming off a fantastic viewing of the 1966 Batman. And I've never liked the term 'darkness,' I think it's comparable to the way that things were 'edgy' in some of Marvel's comics in the 90s where they were trying to substitute atmosphere for character. It's lazy.
    Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.

Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    Yes well I was terrifically wasted and coming off a fantastic viewing of the 1966 Batman. And I've never liked the term 'darkness,' I think it's comparable to the way that things were 'edgy' in some of Marvel's comics in the 90s where they were trying to substitute atmosphere for character. It's lazy.
    Fair enough. To be honest, my first reaction was to write "are you drunk"? lol

There are plenty of other "darker" heroes than Batman. I think what he's getting at is, wanting that Chris Nolan vibe to *most* superhero movies is ridiculous, as a lot of them deal with a totally different tone.

Man of Steel was a major steaming pile of shit, due to the director and the angle they took of making it all "edgy" and aimed at kids who play Call of Duty and listen to Linkin Park and such. And that's totally out of character.

English, muthafucka, etc.