Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Offspring on Wally George - Staged?

Default Offspring on Wally George - Staged?

Yes, we've all seen that video of the band on Wally George's Hot Seat:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPndbyp-KyQ
    And while the rumors persist of some segments of the show being staged, how real was The Offspring's segment?

First of all, the crowd was all fake. Many people from the audience have come forward saying they just went with the flow; they just wanted to be on TV. It was all mob mentality. No audience is that brain dead (One person, who claimed to be in the audience for that taping says the clip was from 1992, not 1989).

But what about the interview with The Offspring themselves (if you can call it that)? Wally normally starts with a few words with the band, but he spared no time in desecrating the band's album. Noodles and Dexter immediately retaliated, which got the band booted from the show. Seeing as Dexter didn't even get to finish what he was saying (it sounded like "you're gonna go on.."), I think they were actually kicked off and it wasn't staged. Noodles has talked about how the first album was very personal to the band, and I believe they wouldn't want it destroyed - staged or not. Either way, it was a very odd segment due to how quickly the band was dismissed.

im pretty sure it was fake here is a reply noodles gave me on twitter a few months ago about the show https://twitter.com/offspring/status/351588036125003776

1 members appreciate this post.

Megaman your post fucking rock man, you seem interesed in the same things that I am regarding the band's past a.k.a "good old years"

I wondered If it was staged too, it sure seems like it, I dont get how a band that is just starting and that is pretty underground about their shows and press (like being interviewed by Maximum Rocknroll or paying to open an original T.S.O.L reunion in 1990) I dont think its likely they were interviewed on basic tv talk show , it seems its really a fun staged thing when this wally dude rips the album on half.

None of it was staged apparently...there's a main article about him in latest OC Weekly mentioning Offspring among many others, and it seems he is legend at least in Southern California and quite a lunatic too:))

http://www.ocweekly.com/2013-10-03/c...orge-hot-seat/

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/heardmenta...0_band_int.php

I guess those links sum it up. It sounds like the audience was mostly kids from the punk community; from the sound of it, I bet even Dexter would be in the audience, given the chance. Though it was interesting that most describe him as a respectable man off the camera, but a complete lunatic once the cameras started rolling. Everyone knew they were going to get ripped to shreds going into it, but it was still good publicity. Pretty genius way for The Offspring to market the band.

Quote Originally Posted by D0NT View Post
    Megaman your post fucking rock man, you seem interesed in the same things that I am regarding the band's past a.k.a "good old years"

I wondered If it was staged too, it sure seems like it, I dont get how a band that is just starting and that is pretty underground about their shows and press (like being interviewed by Maximum Rocknroll or paying to open an original T.S.O.L reunion in 1990) I dont think its likely they were interviewed on basic tv talk show , it seems its really a fun staged thing when this wally dude rips the album on half.
    Thanks, man. Part of the reason why The Offspring was so interesting during this time period was the sheer mystery of it; even the band rarely talks about things this far in the past.

Yeah, I have to agree with that your posts are very good, Mega Man. They're actually intelligent and insightful.

On to the subject, I was always under the impression that it was fake. I mean, I just couldn't believe it (let alone take it serious.) I was always skeptical on that segment. That being said it was pretty fuckin' funny that Wally is actually Rebecca De Mornay's father! LOL! How random as fuck.

Nevertheless, it's good to actually know from Noodles that it was staged.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Another Pilot Down: The Artwork of George Gonzalez
    website | blog | facebook | twitter | deviantart

https://www.facebook.com/Offspring/p...51894565762287

Dexter recalls Wally George (http://t.co/mUpodrUMdY) @OCWeekly http://t.co/TnrTKtOusI

what a coincidence i will be sure to pick of this issue of oc weekly

Quote Originally Posted by SuperKnux View Post
    Yeah, I have to agree with that your posts are very good, Mega Man. They're actually intelligent and insightful.

On to the subject, I was always under the impression that it was fake. I mean, I just couldn't believe it (let alone take it serious.) I was always skeptical on that segment. That being said it was pretty fuckin' funny that Wally is actually Rebecca De Mornay's father! LOL! How random as fuck.

Nevertheless, it's good to actually know from Noodles that it was staged.
    Thanks! I try to start interesting conversations when I can.

Also, maybe Wally cut The Offspring short because he knew they could actually hold their own in an argument. Though had they actually explained the meanings of their songs (especially Kill the President), it would have been a much less interesting segment. And it's been made clear that Wally really valued his ratings.

Now we know it wasnt a real interview on this show, the remaining question is which year was this taped?

Because they sure look young but I wouldnt say they look as young as when S/T was released. I think they look like Ignition era in this sketch.

It would be really sad if it was after Smash and knowing they were already world famous they would still agree to have an original ST album ripped , poor us who do not own a vynil player and would only to dream to aquire one.

On another note the original S/T cover is to me their best artwork ever. I have a T-shirt I got made from that cover by the year 2000 and still cherish it and wear it to their shows

The OC Weekly article is pretty good I wish I could post the entire thing but my scanner is really awful

Here are some quotes from Dexter that are not on the website