Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Senior Year

Default Senior Year

So I know a lot of people here are finished with high school and I just want to talk about senior year experiences and tips. I made a similar thread several years ago about starting high school but this year seems way more insane than all the other years of high school combined. So basically, what was your senior year like? Any funny stories or good tips?
    Any recommendations for applying to college?
    I don't expect too much to change from the other years other than the amount of work I need to do and the college applications.
    I'm wondering how insane and/or busy other people's senior year got.
    Also, did anyone else go to a school where senior prank happened every year?

I guess not only being in senior year has made me think of this, but how everyone says it should be the best or most fun year of school.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    Reading this thread made me throw up.
    Because I'm already sick and the color scheme must have set me off. Sorry about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by XYlophonetreeZ View Post
    Also, sometimes I'm not sober. Sometimes I make threads when I'm not sober.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post
    You're too late. I've already infiltrated the Offspring forums. Next, it's the world!
    Quote Originally Posted by MOTO13 View Post
    Cranking it into a red solo cup while watching 40 year old re-runs of I Dream of Jeanie all the while snorting black pepper and knocking back shots of Jack.

I woke up senior year, in a couple ways. First of all, I realized I definitely wanted to go to university and instead of slacking off like most students, I took a full schedule and got my highest GPA of high school. I also stopped giving so many fucks regarding social life. I realized that year that popularity (or lack thereof) and social circles didn't matter at all, and I finally relaxed and was basically just friends with whatever people I got along with - kinda came out of my shell and stopped being so shy.

I only applied to three universities. And I also applied late. No regrets, as it all worked out in the end in a way I'm very satisfied with.

Our school had a senior prank every year. I've rarely heard a story about a senior prank that was actually good/memorable/worth it. They're almost always a waste.

Senior year was my best year, but probably just because I was the most grown up and knew myself the best. I'd venture to guess that's how it is for most people.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

I really hope I learn a lot this year, not even just academically but about life. By that I guess I really want to become more aware of myself and how I behave. I don't really care much to appeal to my peers but I know I still have a lot of growing up to do. I am really happy with my changes throughout high school but I am really looking forward to seeing how much progress I'll have made by graduation.

Llamas, what kinds of academics did you do at your school as far as finals and such? I know a lot of schools do final exams or a final term paper and I'm always interested to know how other schools do it.
    My school has a senior project where each student picks a topic, gets it approved, does 40 hours or more of research on it, writes a 15 page paper on it, makes a brief presentation to show to the public, and then a larger 20-30 minute presentation to present at the local college. This is actually super exciting for me, even though I am nervous and I think it will help me a lot with becoming independent and dealing with stress and anxiety.
    Because I'm already sick and the color scheme must have set me off. Sorry about that.
    You're too late. I've already infiltrated the Offspring forums. Next, it's the world!
    Cranking it into a red solo cup while watching 40 year old re-runs of I Dream of Jeanie all the while snorting black pepper and knocking back shots of Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by dexter12296566 View Post
    I know I still have a lot of growing up to do.
    Here's a secret about life. You will always have a lot of growing up to do. There's really no end to it. No magical moment when you suddenly transition. There are, of course, rites of passage. Graduating, going to college, starting a career, having children...these are commonly seen as indicators of "growing up". But the secret is that none of these things are likely to make you feel any different. At least not immediately. Growing up is experienced when you look back at a past self, usually over many years, and shudder at what you used to be. Or, if you're lucky, just sort of give a wry, knowing smile. Growing up is not something you do as much as something that gradually happens without you noticing. Much like physical ageing, really. You can look in the mirror five times a day but you won't see it happening. You can only notice the difference when comparing two versions of you from significantly different times.

One thing to try is to imagine a fantasy version of yourself. The person you would most like to be. Then, start to imitate that character whenever possible. Before making a decision decide what fantasy-you would do. Before reacting to something try thinking how fantasy-you would react. One day you might realize that you have become the person you always wanted to be. By that point you may well want to be something else entirely, but that's no problem. Just start the process all over again. There's no limit to it.

If it helps at all you've clearly grown up an incredible amount over the last few years. You seem to be an intelligent and likeable young woman. I hope you'll understand I mean no offence when I say this, but you used to come across as an extremely irritating child on this bbs. A lot of people didn't even believe you were a real person. And again, I only say this in a "look at you now!" sort of way.

So yes, you probably do have a lot of growing up to do, because it's a never-ending part of life. But I hope you give yourself credit for all the growing up you've already done and don't sell yourself short. You seem to already be an entirely worthwhile individual.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

A state that's untouchable like Elliot Ness

I bunked off of school like every day and had lots of fun and did a lot of psychedelic drugs and worked my ass off and saved a shitload of money and traveled and surfed and worked interesting jobs and figured out what I wanted to do with my life and got marketable life experience, then went back to school at 24.

in some ways it sucked (not getting good grades and taking the SATs and going to college) because all my friends were doing the college thing while I was doing the post college thing and I had to be in classes with fucktarded 19 year olds I couldn't relate to who all had stupid opinions. and now all my friends are taking vision quests to thailand while I'm finishing nursing school and am beholden to one city.

I definitely didn't have to pop like 5 tums before I went out on the town when I was 18. It's prime time for recklessness, and you're also so in the groove with the education system (it's hard to get back into the groove when you've been in the real world for a while). but also kind of stooptastic to major in some shit that costs like $50g's when you're only gonna wind up waiting tables because you have a BS in BS.
    I like women who enjoy being dissatisfied sexually.

Thanks, PiB, I totally get how you meant that and I guess by "a lot of growing up to do" I mean that I want to be able to picture myself in the college world or the working world without wanting to cry. I take the SAT's for the second time in November and I start applying for college soon and I really cannot even picture myself working at McDonald's or Wal-Mart at this point. As far as how I used to be, I am well aware of how I acted and I am not too proud of it, but hey, it's the past and I learned better. That doesn't mean I don't get super embarrassed and have the urge to punch fourteen year-old me in the face, but I learned.

I'm just looking for insight so I know what to avoid doing(and I don't mean that in the "Avoid drugs" way).
    I guess I have a few more specific questions:
    1: What was your favorite part of your senior year?(That is actually a yearbook question at my school).
    2: If you could change one thing about yourself during your senior year, what would it be?
    3: If you could change one moment that happened, what would it be?
    4: What is the biggest mistake you think you made during high school/senior year?

***I am still just as curious as several years ago, I guess. Plus, the Un-Game Game has yielded some interesting results in the way I approach conversation.

I matured a lot by the time my senior year rolled around. I was a serious asshole to everyone around me because I thought being a funny asshole would make me look cool (it didn't). That sorta blew up in my face over the summer and I mellowed out senior year. Most of the friends that I managed to stay in contact with over the years say that I am nothing like the person I was in high school. A lot can change in a short amount to time.

Also, we had to do a mandatory senior scrapbook at the end of the year for our English and that was just bullshit. I hated that thing so much.

As for advice, I'm not very good at advice mostly because what worked for me doesn't exactly work for everyone. I wasn't sure if I wanted to go to a university or not. To me, it seemed like a really big and expensive commitment to make about something that you might change your mind about when your 30, or 40. I decided to avoid going to a university and went to a community college, where I worked on my general ed and figured myself out. I took various electives and figured out what suited me best.

EDIT
    1: What was your favorite part of your senior year?(That is actually a yearbook question at my school)
    Band trip to vegas, that was fun

2: If you could change one thing about yourself during your senior year, what would it be?
    Stop caring about what other people think about you so much

3: If you could change one moment that happened, what would it be?
    Would have grown some balls and asked the girl I like to prom when I had the chance

4: What is the biggest mistake you think you made during high school/senior year?
    A really stupid myspace blog post that almost cost me my best friend, I still regret that :/
    Last edited by Outerspaceman21; 09-25-2013 at 09:45 PM.

I have actually been thinking the same thing about college. I don't really want to commit to something so expensive, especially with how little I stick to one thing. I have always wanted to study science. When I was very young I wanted to be a botanist but when I found out my mom's friend had AIDS when I was like 7 I said I wanted to find the cure and I got into biology. Now I need to apply to college and I still really want to study biology and bio-mechanical engineering but with my senior project I'm afraid by the end I'll change my mind(but I don't really think that will happen), but a lot of people I know, including myself are questioning our life choices/opinions at this point. A frequent status update among my peers is something along the lines of "I always thought [insert occupation or interest here] was what I wanted to do but now I'm rethinking that." With something like senior project it really makes me(and some of my classmates) think about these things because it's not just about finding a topic that you can get a good research paper out of but it has to keep your attention for the whole year. It is definitely a good thing though because if you can't stay with it for nine months, don't try to do it for life.

By the way, I read the "and cake" in your signature as part of your answer to the fourth question for whatever reason, even thought it was under the edited note. (It's late and my brain is fried).

Oh and PiB, the funny thing about my growth thus far is that I think the boards were quite beneficial. Even though high school changed me some, my high school and middle school was the same school so it wasn't a large change or anything like that. I think being on here gave me a taste of reality. You can't tell on someone for making fun of you. People don't really need to filter their thoughts on you and you will always get called out on stupidity or just plain obnoxiousness. I also learned quite a bit about sarcasm and what it's like. I also happened to join these boards 2 months before starting high school so it may be a combination of both. So as much as I was angry with you guys, I have to thank you guys simply for letting me know what is expected socially. I think this site has taught me a lot that no matter where you go in life, even if you love it, there are going to people that are jerks or that you can't stand and it is necessary to suck it up and deal with it. I honestly can't say I blame all of you guys either. I am well aware that I was(and still sometimes am) hard to deal with. I also have to admit it was partially me because I changed and I get treated better(Funny how that works)

By the way, I'm slightly rambling and I'm sorry but I guess I haven't had too much of a social life since school started so interacting with people outside of the classroom environment is kind of nice.

Edit: A great thing about this year is that I am finally in the school play with drama club. I auditioned for one of the plays last year but I didn't get in. This year I am performing in Antigone and hopefully whatever play we put on in the spring.
    Last edited by dexter12296566; 09-26-2013 at 09:45 PM.

If you are worried about the commitment, both with time and finances, of going to college, I would recommend attending a good community college to get any gen-eds or 100 level classes out of the way. Unless you plan on going to a big-name Ivy League school or something, the credits should transfer over, and you'll save yourself a metric dick-ton of money that way. I wish I did it my first 2 years of college because all I took was gen-eds anyway, and I would've saved myself somewhere around the ballpark of $10,00 if I had gone that route instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by pyro offspring View Post
    is it true that obama may legaliz it?

I'm hoping that I got the John and Abigail Adams scholarship and I think I will find out today if I did. That will cover tuition to any state school(only in Massachusetts) and I don't think the one I plan to go to in the beginning is super expensive but I am definitely going to be looking into the local community college which I haven't really been considering doing. I guess I don't really need to rush myself right into everything, especially since I usually need a bit of transition time with huge changes like this.