Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Things you can be on Halloween besides naked

Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    So fucking tempting.

]I'm actually grinning at the thought.
    Well, we'd have to take an x-ray to comfirm this.

Am I suddenly in the minority for liking slutty costumes? Surely not.

In the end Halloween is an excuse to party. Perhaps there's a vibe of tradition for kids and parents, but for most of the rest of us - well, for me anyway - it's a fun twist on what would otherwise be another night out.

I don't go out to party much. I like to sit in a bar and have conversations, and maybe I'm getting old young but when the music is too loud I get irritated. I rarely dance. Yeah - re-reading that apparently I'm just not very much fun.

Point is.

People dressing up to go out to clubs and bars dress half-naked half the time anyway - this just takes that regular gamut of fashion choices that range from half-naked to douchebag polo layers, stretches its extremes a bit, and throws a certain dose of absurdity into it. So where is the problem? Is it in the sluttiness or in the lack of imagination people apply to their costumes? Because I don't see how either of those are a cause for concern.

I had the idea of not shaving for a month, ripping up some overalls and a green shirt and going as Caveman Luigi. I am not doing it for a few different reasons (namely that a month is not long enough for my light-haired face to do the costume justice and also I am looking for a job and can't caveman around town effectively) but it was definitely going to be based around the fact that I have good muscle definition and look pretty good half-naked. In that sense it's a slutty costume - but that doesn't mean that I'm not going out for fun. I won't be going out to pick up any slutty cats or nurses. I may ogle slightly, I'll admit - but mostly it's to hang out with some friends, get drunk and laugh about whose costume falls apart first.

And every year, like clockwork, I read articles and opinions on how unimaginative and revealing people's Halloween costumes are, as if we have some sacred duty to stoke the fires of our inspiration for this one night a year. It's a party - it's just a party with some slightly different rules than your average weekend party. Why that opens people who go out fifty-one other times a year looking relatively similar degrees of half-naked to sudden ridicule I'll never understand.

Honestly? If I saw someone out and asked them what their costume was and they said "slutty corn" I'd be fucking sold. That's fucking brilliant.
    Last edited by T-6005; 10-07-2013 at 05:58 PM.
    Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.

Richard, I assumed as much and laughed at your post, but I had actually thought about it a bit.

T, I absolutely agree, especially with this;

So where is the problem? Is it in the sluttiness or in the lack of imagination people apply to their costumes? Because I don't see how either of those are a cause for concern.
    Last year I was going to go as Snow White, but the costume fit a little TOO poorly, so I went as Wolverine. Bought it at Savers for $40 and it was a hit. Definitely not imaginative, but still awesome.

Sometimes people just want to be sexy, and Halloween is a great time to be sexy. Nothing wrong with that.

One year I pretty much just dressed in shorts and a t-shirt, but I brought a lightsaber with me.
    Last edited by WebDudette; 10-07-2013 at 05:14 PM.
    I wrote a four word letter.

Quote Originally Posted by WebDudette View Post
    One year I pretty much just dressed in shorts and a t-shirt, but I brought a lightsaber with me.
    I love it.

Then you should have been like "oh fuck it's Halloween tonight?" like you always just carry a lightsaber with you.

I also personally have no problem with the revealing costumes at all. When I worked in hospitality Halloween was probably the only holiday I really enjoyed working because there was always so much to look at.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

I'm not sure anyone has a problem with revealing costumes. Okay, I'm sure some prudes do, but I don't know those people. The whole point is this: when we women go to the store to buy a Halloween costume, we're met with a shit-ton of "slutty" costumes which make no sense and all look the same but with different colors. Most women just mindlessly buy one of those pieces of overly-priced garbage. The point of the video is that it's not necessary and there are tons of awesome costumes you can put together quite easily - you don't HAVE to dress that way for Halloween. I think you guys are kinda overlooking a lot here. Again, nobody's saying nobody should wear sexy/revealing costumes. And again, the chick who was dressed as a hooker got a high five from me. Perhaps your rant wasn't directed at me or the video, T, but that wasn't made clear.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

I am thankful that my Wolverine costume isn't sexy Wolverine. On second thought, I might have two costumes this year.

I don't think that the low quality of storebought costumes is limited to women's costumes. Everything you can get is overpriced, ill-fitting and of irritatingly low quality.

People already know they can put their own halloween costumes together - they aren't brainless. They simply choose not to - whether that's through the crappy selection at the drugstore or the marginally-less-suffocating, wallet-heavy alternatives of costume shops.

And someone is saying you shouldn't wear sexy or revealing costumes. The very video you linked does. It makes the exact same distinction I was talking about - with 'imagination' along one axis and how revealing it is along the other.

I won't disagree that the paucity of choice in Halloween costumes is complete garbage. At the same time, I won't pretend like that video doesn't disapprove of revealing costumes (because it does) or that there is a certain elitism at work towards the people who do succumb to the last-second cornerstore panic buy and show up as a sexy mop.
    Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.

This might be a good time for me to say I did not watch the video.

I did not watch the video.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

I just watched it, and it's mostly about not having your tits out and stuff.

I'm not sure where exactly I stand on this. While I would never go out dressed as a sexy anything, if people are comfortable to do that, let them. Anyone who thinks someone is a 'slut' for wearing a short dress is an idiot anyway.

But, as llamas said, it is extremely annoying that, if you are having a last-minute panic and try to find a costume, you're faced with tons of sexy outfits...and maybe a nun outfit too. It would be nice if there were a bit more options! It's also pretty frustrating when you are trying to find costume ideas online, but can only find sexy versions, and not historically accurate ones.

I also tend to prefer more imaginative costumes anyway - its nice when people make an effort, instead of throwing on a french maid dress they found in Hallmark.