Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Offspring listed among "6 Best Pop-Punk Bands"

Default The Offspring listed among "6 Best Pop-Punk Bands"

The Offspring are listed at #4.

http://whatculture.com/music/6-best-...nk-bands.php/4

Though they had minor punk hits with "Jennifer Lost the War" and "Kick Him When He's Down" in the late '80s/early '90s, The Offspring didn't really explode onto the pop-punk scene until 1994′s multiplatinum "Smash," which spawned the ubiquitous singles "Self Esteem," "Come Out and Play," and – my favorite from this album – "Gotta Get Away."

Proving they weren't just a one-album wonder though, they continued their chart-topping hits with the underrated "Ixnay on the Hombre," my favorite album of theirs, and then -conversely – the overrated "Americana," which became their most popular album with "Pretty Fly (for a White Guy)," "The Kids Aren't Alright," and the curiously familiar "Why Don't You Get a Job," which I mentioned in my article on Musical Déjà Vu.

It's true they've been criticized for adding too many "Heys" and "Woahs" to their choruses (their contemporaries and former label-mates NOFX even mocked them with their snarky song "Woah on the Woahs"), but The Offspring, a band name I still believe would sound better as simply Offspring, have never sold out – even after 2 and a half decades.
    The founder of The Offspring Wikia, and looking for someone to help out, find out why at this thread.

I always thought that NOFX mocked all bands but for The Offspring and AFI..

"Between AFI and The Offspring, I don't think we need anyone else to sing anymore whoooaaaas..."
    * !

I think it's a fair placement. A lot of punk bands had a revival in the mid-2000s, thanks in part to American Idiot, but The Offspring skipped over that time period. I honestly think if "Rise and Fall" was released four years earlier, it would've been even bigger. But that's all besides the point; they're a band that's stayed fairly consistent throughout the years, and continues to put out killer records and retain their live presence.

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post
    I think it's a fair placement.
    I agree New Found Glory are much better than The Offspring and Green Day

Pop punk sucks!

Well, I can safely say that New Found Glory...sucks. Plain White T's, Plain White Shit. With free concert tickets and $300cash I'd pass on seeing these frigging bands. They seem like regurgitated half assed boy bands. To even compare the Offspring with these two bands is odd to me. Greenday and Blink...I get. Simple Plan? Who cares.

Here's my order of the 6 based on importance of the band to the genre:

1. Greenday...simply for the audience they capture and exposure they created. They are no.1.
    2. Offspring....Best pop-punk band ever. Best songs, most talented. Period. Any other opinion is fucked.
    3. Blink 182...great song writing.
    4-6 you can have any order you like. They all kind of melt into one giant steeming pile of shit anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by cool 2 hate 681 View Post
    I agree New Found Glory are much better than The Offspring and Green Day
    Well, when you put it that way, the number one spot seems totally out of place. All I meant originally was that The Offspring deserve recognition for their achievements in the realms of pop punk, and it's good to see them ranked as "one of the best." But with the other entries on the list, I agree that they're a lot better than some of the higher bands on the list.

I seriously hoped Bad Religion would be the number one when I was clicking, only to be disappointed by seeing NFG. They're not bad, but their impact on pop-punk music wasn't that big. And Green Day as the "godfathers of pop-punk"? All of this credit should go to Bad Religion or NOFX who were using melodic hooks in punk rock even before The Offspring. Or if we are going even more back, The Ramones.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    Burn it up because you do not call ignition ............ Because ignition is born green and then ripens and becomes burn it up, which is yellow, then darkens and becomes a song that has yet to be published and will appear in a collection of b-sides and brown nell'accezione this song is a song from the session discarded of ignition.

Pretty awful list: Plain White T's aren't even a pop-punk band. And Simple Plan certainly doesn't belong anywhere near a list like this.

Amusing that the author didn't take the time to check out any bands from the early 90s or even 80s pop punk scenes:

I mean, no Mr T Experience, Screeching Weasels, Decendants, ect, ect, ect
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gabel
    Adrenaline carried one last thought to fruition.
    Let this be the end.
    Let this be the last song.
    Let this be the end.
    Let all be forgiven.

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post
    Well, when you put it that way, the number one spot seems totally out of place. All I meant originally was that The Offspring deserve recognition for their achievements in the realms of pop punk, and it's good to see them ranked as "one of the best." But with the other entries on the list, I agree that they're a lot better than some of the higher bands on the list.
    That is ok It is good to see them on the list but this is a pretty awful one having New Found Glory at #1 lol