Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a friend just gave me a smartphone

Default a friend just gave me a smartphone

My first one ever. I'm overwhelmed. I feel like a caveman. I've never used one before or even really bothered to watch as anyone else used one. So this is pretty weird. I'm scared to put it in my pocket. It feels far too precious to be simply carried around. Clearly it should be placed on a sturdy table and never moved, much like my laptop.

This is really weird though. Imagine if you travelled here in time from the 90's and picked up a smartphone. Because that's basically what I just did. Feels weird.

I'm also a bit sleep deprived.

Feels weird.
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.” – Bill Hicks

1 members appreciate this post.

Don't worry. I felt the same the first few days I had my first smartphone. In a few weeks, you are going to casually throw it on the table without thinking about it.

Meanwhile, here's my advice.

1) Download Plague, Inc.

2) Destroy humanity, once or twice, depending on what you need.

3) Feel better and strangely proud of yourself.

Edit: The person from the (early) 90s would be automatically arrested for weating an entire outfit of fluo. So he/she won't even see Smartphones...
    More seriously, I think that person would be more suprised from the advance of computers. After that, seeing a tiny computer in everybody's hands is not that weird...

That reminds me of my grandmother. She basically gave up on technology after the invention of the VCR (and after offering me the VHS of E.T for Christmas. She's the coolest grandmother).

Now, she's older. When I presented her with a smartphone to play a game, she was not suprised a tiny bit. It's like she admitted that she was living in the future now, so it's not stranger than a new vacuum cleaner...
    Last edited by Harleyquiiinn; 12-22-2013 at 01:53 AM.

All the Beautiful Things you do

Respect my authoritah !

2 members appreciate this post.

I'm in a somewhat related situation with the new laptop I got. It's Windows 8 and touch screen... I've had it about a week and a half, and I still feel totally overwhelmed. It honestly took me about 2 hours after first switching it on to figure out where the hell my desktop was. And it took me like 4 days to figure out how to close programs that were open from the start menu. It was really embarrassing to be finishing up a lesson and not know how to close the programs on my computer. Or how to shut it down without using ctrl+alt+del. I've spent a decent portion of this last week and a half feeling way older than I should. THE FUCK IS THIS NEWFANGLED TECHNOLOGY.

I'd be completely lost with a smart phone. It would take me a week to figure out how to call someone. And another 3 days to figure out how to send an SMS.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Harley, I loved your post. Particularly the explanation about your grandmother. That was perfect. I'll try and remember Plague, Inc once I start figuring out apps. The phone already has a lot of apps on it actually since it was my friend's previous phone before he upgraded. Like Final Fantasy III. On a telephone. Oh, and I was definitely thinking late 90's.

Brianna, you've never used a smartphone either then? Makes sense that you'd struggle with Windows 8. I heard that's supposed to emulate smartphones, or at least begin bridging the gap between the two interface styles. I hate change, particularly when I'm quite good at doing things the existing way, but I can easily imagine smartphone style interfaces being the future for basically everything. I had to smile at your inability to close programs since I spent a good few minutes earlier trying to close the internet browser on my phone before giving up and just turning it off. On the plus side, we're going to quickly gather a lot of new empathy for old people.
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.” – Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    Brianna, you've never used a smartphone either then? Makes sense that you'd struggle with Windows 8. I heard that's supposed to emulate smartphones, or at least begin bridging the gap between the two interface styles. I hate change, particularly when I'm quite good at doing things the existing way, but I can easily imagine smartphone style interfaces being the future for basically everything. I had to smile at your inability to close programs since I spent a good few minutes earlier trying to close the internet browser on my phone before giving up and just turning it off. On the plus side, we're going to quickly gather a lot of new empathy for old people.
    That was their intention, but it seems this isn't going to be the step they thought it'd be. A few days ago, I was prompted to update to Windows 8.1, which has restored the start button. Microsoft has announced the next update will change what happen when you click the start button, back to the pop-up menu it had on 7 and prior (the one with 8.1 sends you to the start page full of panels.) It's not time to make the switch yet - I might get used to the smartphone/tablet interface because my laptop has a touch screen, but most laptops do not have that yet, and thus most people with Windows 8 aren't going to use that interface at all because it's useless. Maybe once all laptops have touch screens, they'll eventually be able to integrate the two...

And yes, I've kind of always empathized, haha. I'm not all that huge on technology of this sort.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Which one did he give you?

I'm also new to the world of smartphones. It's a freaken phone sized mini computer. My god. How did I ever live without one? I could listen to music, watch videos, play games, internetz, and read books/comic books. Oh, it's a phone too? I didn't even notice.

Since I'm in a family plan with my parents and we switched providers, we all got smartphones at the same time. It was kind of embarrassing being on equal footing with them with new technology.

I always hated all these cunts who seem to be on their phone 24/7, but now I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Jebus View Post
    I always hated all these cunts who seem to be on their phone 24/7, but now I understand.
    May god strike me down right now if that wouldn't be just the best fucking phone ad ever made.

I haven't really looked at my new phone any more yet. I expect I'll play with it a lot over the next few days while I'm visiting my family and get it figured out because I won't have my laptop with me.

I just checked on ebay and realized this is actually worth a fair bit of money. Definitely the coolest random gift I've ever been given.

I stuck my old sim card in it so now I have a smartphone with a monthly allowance of 150 mins, 250mb of data and unlimited texts for just ten gbp a month and no contract. I never really get close to using all those minutes, particularly since in the UK if someone calls me it doesn't use any of my minutes, which is awesome after being used to having a similar phone plan in the US that did use my own minutes if someone called me. My only concern now is that I'll end up wanting a lot more than 250mb a month.

I still don't have one. I'm too easily distracted by internet and games and shit when I'm home, dragging that with me everywhere I go would destroy me.

I guess maybe that's what data usage caps are for? And the limitations of battery capacity. Though actually I've seen countless co-workers bring their chargers to work so they can post inane shit and play games all day without interruption. And I guess anything previously downloaded like a game would still be usable regardless of your data limit.

So yeah, you're right, destruction is probably imminent. Sweet, wonderful destruction.

I do not want a smart phone. I want one that does what I ask it to do. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijs View Post
    Sometimes I love Jojan <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Amiralanal View Post
    Jojan is not ignorant. He is the king. You are the enemy.
    Quote Originally Posted by PilZ-E View Post
    I appreciate Jojan.
    Quote Originally Posted by noodle654 View Post
    Jojan you are my favorite!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bipolar Bear View Post
    Jojan fucking owns!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jebus View Post
    jojan's right boob = hawt
    Quote Originally Posted by Krojd View Post
    Jojan, you are awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by yarock View Post
    Jojan fόr den Sieg.
    Quote Originally Posted by KickHimWhenHe'sDown View Post
    I like Jojan's signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Defender View Post
    Jojan for President!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    I actually think Jojan is pretty funny in his own right.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJakes84 View Post
    Jojan's signature is the longest and most beloved. <3
    Quote Originally Posted by KickHimWhenHe'sDown View Post
    Maybe because it came from Jojan, and Jojan rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by "Melyssa K" Kennedy View Post
    Jojan is right
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ignition- View Post
    Jojans planer lεter bra.