for cocktails, evenings out etc
    for the week-end
    for the country, hiking, ...
    at home
    to look formal/smart
    to look casual
    to look chic
    in spring/summer vs autumn/winter

What dress and shoe style(s) do you particularly like?
    What do you like but never dress in?
    What clothes/shoes wouldn't you be caught dead in?
    Do you ever purchase second-hand/vintage clothing or do you stick to new garments?
    Do you order on the internet or do you prefer to go shopping?

Do you even care about dress-style or are you colour-blind? Do "shape", "fit", "cut" convey any sort of meaning to you or are they only empty words to your ears?

Do you wear designer clothing or does a $10 Chinese pair of jeans suit you fine? Even considering the health hazard? Do you laugh at that or does "organic" cotton, natural fibres, luxurious feel etc represent a great added value you wouldn't part with for the world?

Do you consider that "a sense of style is what this country needs" (amongst a thousand other necessities...)?

What do you think of these videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsvTnyHzKpo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjMuGn0LulA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNB3UroPdb0

What apparel would you wear if money and time were not an issue?

Are you ok with real fur / faux fur?
    Last edited by Duskygrin; 10-17-2013 at 05:17 PM.

Boy, so many questions

Generally I wear things I feel comfortable in. I don't give much of a damn about clothes that are super trendy, 'appropriate' and whatnot.
    I don't like buying stuff online much but actually I'd love to buy more things second-hand - like at flea markets or clothes bazaars.
    Last edited by EarY; 10-18-2013 at 05:12 AM.
    Turn the lights on.

1 members appreciate this post.

Lot's of questions...here's the answer:

Appropriately.

Moto, just because you wore your Subway uniform to your own wedding, doesn't make it appropriate for all occasions.

Maria, I'd be interested to know your views on dress etiquette, I remember reading some fashion things you posted a while back (about French cuffs, this sticks out to me because I had no idea what they are. Still don't, something I think I'll look up.) I do appreciate that you didn't blurt your own answers out, so I will bite the bullet and look like the one who can't stop talking about himself.

Work, I suppose is where I dress most formally, most frequently. Though formal is an exaggeration as Denmark is pretty relaxed. I wear a white, or black, or burgundy colored dress shirt, with a v-neck sweater (usually grey or black, though I had a grey cardigan I am fond of.) I don't tuck the shirt in, so already there I have a disheveled appearance. I wear boot cut jeans and leather colored sneakers. I work in invoice processing, so I am not dressed to impress. However this is generally the most presentable I look.

I used to live in a more white trash neighborhood and made a few friends there. I dress nicer when visiting because they find it touching if I made an effort to look nice.

I drop the sweaters in summer time.

On the weekend I wear stupidly baggy hoodies. They're convenient in the Danish climate, comfortable in doors, and I put my cigarettes in the pouch and pretend I'm the worst Mama-kangaroo around. Its a pretty unimpressive sight, but I have no expecations to meet, and I revel in the hideousness a little bit. People say "warts and all" but maybe I just prefer warts sans all.

I have 3 different jackets depending on the season. I'm also a jerk who enjoys wearing hats in the summer time (they don't suit my winter jacket, nor my pea coat.)

I don't have many brand name clothing, I simply don't have the budget.

I have reached a weird age with clothing. I don't need to buy new clothes often (though I do need more sweaters, winter is coming. A Lannister always pays their debts.) And shopping has no real joy for me, but a large dose of inexplicable frustration. I suppose it bothered me that it always seems to take way longer than it should. Fortunately I have been dating Maartje since the cold war started. She is more than happy to go out and buy my clothes for me (obviously with my money, I'm not THAT lucky,). I suspect she could somehow sense my frustration at shopping.

Also after what must be something like 15 years or more, Hand-me-downs have become a part of my life again. Maartje's sister's boyfriend (here on out referred to as brother-in-law) has become a father for the second time, this seems to make men fat and tired looking. Anyways he no longer fits his clothes, and the Dutch being notoriously cheap, have deemed me the perfect candidate. I think some of those are name-brand. Its insane what people can afford if they are teetotallers.

Oh wait, I have a Starfleet Uniform bathrobe. Its my pride and joy, its yellow because then I can pretend I'm a relaxed Captain Kirk.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman View Post
    Moto, just because you wore your Subway uniform to your own wedding, doesn't make it appropriate for all occasions.

Maria, I'd be interested to know your views on dress etiquette, I remember reading some fashion things you posted a while back (about French cuffs, this sticks out to me because I had no idea what they are. Still don't, something I think I'll look up.) I do appreciate that you didn't blurt your own answers out, so I will bite the bullet and look like the one who can't stop talking about himself.Work, I suppose is where I dress most formally, most frequently. Though formal is an exaggeration as Denmark is pretty relaxed. I wear a white, or black, or burgundy colored dress shirt, with a v-neck sweater (usually grey or black, though I had a grey cardigan I am fond of.) I don't tuck the shirt in, so already there I have a disheveled appearance. I wear boot cut jeans and leather colored sneakers. I work in invoice processing, so I am not dressed to impress. However this is generally the most presentable I look.

I used to live in a more white trash neighborhood and made a few friends there. I dress nicer when visiting because they find it touching if I made an effort to look nice.

I drop the sweaters in summer time.

On the weekend I wear stupidly baggy hoodies. They're convenient in the Danish climate, comfortable in doors, and I put my cigarettes in the pouch and pretend I'm the worst Mama-kangaroo around. Its a pretty unimpressive sight, but I have no expecations to meet, and I revel in the hideousness a little bit. People say "warts and all" but maybe I just prefer warts sans all.

I have 3 different jackets depending on the season. I'm also a jerk who enjoys wearing hats in the summer time (they don't suit my winter jacket, nor my pea coat.)

I don't have many brand name clothing, I simply don't have the budget.

I have reached a weird age with clothing. I don't need to buy new clothes often (though I do need more sweaters, winter is coming. A Lannister always pays their debts.) And shopping has no real joy for me, but a large dose of inexplicable frustration. I suppose it bothered me that it always seems to take way longer than it should. Fortunately I have been dating Maartje since the cold war started. She is more than happy to go out and buy my clothes for me (obviously with my money, I'm not THAT lucky,). I suspect she could somehow sense my frustration at shopping.

Also after what must be something like 15 years or more, Hand-me-downs have become a part of my life again. Maartje's sister's boyfriend (here on out referred to as brother-in-law) has become a father for the second time, this seems to make men fat and tired looking. Anyways he no longer fits his clothes, and the Dutch being notoriously cheap, have deemed me the perfect candidate. I think some of those are name-brand. Its insane what people can afford if they are teetotallers.

Oh wait, I have a Starfleet Uniform bathrobe. Its my pride and joy, its yellow because then I can pretend I'm a relaxed Captain Kirk.
    Well, I may or may not have worn a Subway uniform, but at least I wasn't a cardigan wearing, v-necked queer who wears a fucking Starfleet bathrobe running around pretending to be Cappppn Cruch or whatever playrole fantasy you and your friends are fucking into. Holy shit. You do know people are beginning to understand what kind of a friggin odd ball you are when you post crazy shit about your life....right????? You ain't right...you just ain't right.

This is great... I have a Space Rug because obviously I am a Jedi.

Concerning the subject of the thread : I don't care how I dress. Really. Comfort is the most important thing to me. And everything I wear is determined by the weather. I am pratically almost cold so I dress accordingly. That means badly.

The only reasons I can actually make an effort are :

- I have a meeting with a client
    - I am attending a wedding/funeral/anniversary.
    - I want to. Which is rare, but happens sometimes (I'd say once or twice a year), for no reason.

I basically hate all kind of shoes I can't run (or walk really fast) with. So that excludes every kind of heels. Even small ones can be tricky when you need to run on the shiny marble of the court house.

In my job, except for the clients, I wear a huge black robe, like that one. Which is kind of cool. Except I don't wear the hat. Nobody wears the hat anymore, which is kind of sad, right ?

I shop for real. It's too complicated on the Internet. Size are not always the same and I know I'd be too lazy to send back something that doesn't fit.

All the Beautiful Things you do

Respect my authoritah !

French cuffs are what we French call "poignets mousquetaires" (lit. "musketeer cuffs"). You'll find that oftentimes, fashion names vary from country to country according to history (another instance would be the English Peter Pan collar, the French equivalent thereof being the more feminine-sounding "col Claudine").

http://shirtandtiecombo.wordpress.com/2012/07/25/103/

That is the kind of sleeves cuff-links are made for, which your more usual button or barrel cuff cannot accommodate.

Thanks for your answers, scruffies. I can now perceive how dressed-down the BBS really is... *winky*

A state that's untouchable like Elliot Ness

Moto, you remind me so much of a kid I knew in high school (who had down's syndrome), I can't get over it.

business: high wasted skirt, beige or black heals, black or dark grey ultra sheers, soft white top. (I live in texas and can get away with NEVER wearing suit jackets. I hate them.)

work: I work with kids so I almost always wear jeans and a tshirt

going dancing: old lady dancing shoes or these ridiculous wrestling shoes that I and no one else think are really cute. and usually a babydoll dress or jeans and a black cami.

any other time: a form fitting sundress and flip flops. my taste in dresses is kind of southern housewife meets trailer park sweetheart.

I hate wearing busy patterns, I hate baggy shirts or dresses, and I would not be caught dead wearing purple.

as for make up, I never wear eyeliner. my eyes are already big and eyeliner seems to make them look smaller. I use a little white, a little brown, and mascara. I still haven't found a makeup look I'm in love with yet: maybe you have some tips, maria? I have almond shaped grey/dark blue eyes. and blonde hair. and I'm not pale.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I like women who enjoy being dissatisfied sexually.

Instead of using black eyeliner have you tried using a brown or gray eyeliner? I love eyeliner, I pretty much always use black eyeliner i love how dark I can get my eyes, but with certain outfits the gray eyeliner gives it a nice little touch.

I normally just dress causal. Jeans and shirt.. Every once in awhile I'll wear a skirt or a dress for my guy but that's it, but if I have a wedding or a funeral then I'll dress nicer.

I hate skinny/jegging jeans.Never ever I will ever wear them or own them. That trend needs to go away.

Thanks for the detailed answer. You do right to leave purple alone, as you're blonde. Grey should suit you better.

Hmm. In general I'd say the less is more, but I understand that on certain occasions one would want to dazzle with a special make-up that would enhance one's natural beauty.

The trick with eye-liner is to create a fine, fine, fine line. Some women seem to be concerned, as you are, with the fact that it seems to make their eyes appear smaller and puffy. Like as not, this is due to improper drawing of the line as well as wrong colour. Case in point: Marilyn almost never used black for the eyeliner, but instead played with shades of brown to achieve a dreamy, vaporous, misty look. Black often harshens your expression.

My own facial features and skin tone vastly differ from yours, so this is a tad tricky for me... but here is what I would do:

- if your face tends to shine a little under the blazing Texan sun, and as you're already tanned, I would suggest powder (perhaps rice powder?) simply so as to achieve a matt complexion.
    - soft pink blush on the cheeks for the healthy look. Go easy on it. If your jaw is well defined, don't put it too high, but smile and apply it softly a little above the dimples.
    - with a small brush or your own finger, apply some white shimmering powder on the moving lid and in the inner corner.
    - get a palette of some 2 or three brown/taupe shades and follow this procedure:
    apply some middle brown or taupe powder on your crease. Work in and out, this movement will both help define the crease and blend in the powder. Blending is key, generally.
    Also apply some slightly less dark powder below your waterline (that is, below your lower lashes, on the external corner). Go very easy for this part, this is just supposed to provide a little dimension.
    - here comes the tricky part. I'm going to suggest a soft cat's eye (you seem worried about make-up making your eyes look smaller, but this will not, it is made to make them look bigger and more attractive). Take some darker shade (the darkest in your taupe palette, charcoal, really) and create a V at the external corner. This V should remain right at the outside and below the taupe you've just applied. Blend in well.
    - apply some white pencil on your lower waterline. Go easy and it will look natural.
    - get your eyeliner out (shimmering brown will do fine) and very carefully start either from the outside corner, or the middle of the eyelid. You should create a very, very fine line, but it is supposed to look thicker on the outside corner. That's the whole point of the cat's eye. It will meet the dark V at the end. Use any method you're most comfortable with to create the final "flick". On no account should you stop the line before the "ending point" of your eye. But do not overstep it too far and too high either, higher flicks are dramatic and not elegant. Use your own discretion, as long as it suits your taste, it's probably fine.
    - mascara
    - lip gloss or anything to make your lips pop a little (soft pink would do fine with this look)

You're all set.

If you feel confident enough after you've tried on this look time and time again, you may wish to create a more glamourous effect and apply a very thin line of eyeliner underneath your lower lashes. This line and the one above your lashes ought never to meet at their ends. Remember the Egyptians, their profiles... There should always be the tiniest of spaces between the ends, to "open up" the look and make your eyes seem bigger. "Closing" the lines would only achieve the reverse effect. So remember: never the twain shall meet!
    Last edited by Duskygrin; 10-20-2013 at 07:14 AM.