Thread: About Dexter's Voice.

Hybrid View

Post About Dexter's Voice.

Someting that calls me attention in this band is Dexter's voice. It sounds so unique, and even being 47 he keeps a young boy voice (it never sounds like an average adult). What is his vocal extention? What precautions he has with his voice? And another thing i've been hearing is when he sings low notes his voice tends to be alittle bit nasally (but he tries to control that).
    -
    If there is any other thread about it the moderation is free to erase it or drop me a line about my mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramon Angelo View Post
    Someting that calls me attention in this band is Dexter's voice. It sounds so unique, and even being 47 he keeps a young boy voice (it never sounds like an average adult). What is his vocal extention? What precautions he has with his voice? And another thing i've been hearing is when he sings low notes his voice tends to be alittle bit nasally (but he tries to control that).
    -
    If there is any other thread about it the moderation is free to erase it or drop me a line about my mistake.
    I don't know if anyone knows his vocal extention, there were some interviews where he was asked about precautions, but for what I remember he just does a warm up, for the rest he smokes (not as much as noodles I think) and drinks.... not really healthy for the voice . During the years he probably trained his voice on how to sing because nowadays he is a lot better on stage than during the 90's.
    My Guitars cover channel

Batman Ninja guitars ---- > https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsu...mNXVmfkL4Mi32Q

1 members appreciate this post.

It's funny how Dexter never intended to be a singer; it just sort of happened. Flash forward 30 years, and you've got one of the most distinct voices in punk rock.

I remember a mid-90's interview Dexter was saying that when he first met Jello Biafra, Jello told him something like his voice wasn't right. I can't remember if he said it wasn't strong enough or if it was whiny or something, but I thought it was funny.

As for precautions, I've seen a rider list and honey&lemon were on there, so he obviously takes some care. I thought his voice during the Ignition shows was stronger than I'd previously heard it.

Dexter's strong suits aren't so much his skills or range as a vocalist. He isn't particularly gifted in terms of skills, and/or range. It's his unique tone and relative high pitch. That gives the music an energy like no other. I don't mind the fact that he doesn't go all jazz and he sticks to what he is great in. His voice is unmistakable and it's just such high energy, and couple it with the fact that he is the best songwriter and lyricist as far as I am concerned and that's it. I think he could use the deeper ends of his voice more, like he does in the beginning of head around you or all I have left is you.

2 members appreciate this post.

I think he should make duet like Green Day with Norah Jones