Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you consider yourself a smart person?

Default Do you consider yourself a smart person?

Serious question. No stupid quizzes attached to this and you don't have to name your favorite color.

The question is simple - do you consider yourself to be a smart person? Or rather, smarter than most of the people around you? Do you see the majority of the people around you as intellectual chaff?

I'll admit that I do occasionally view myself in this light. I believe I'm a smart person, or at least smarter than most of the people around me. I wouldn't say that I'm the only brilliant person in the room, or that other people are too dumb to keep up with me, but I definitely have a fair amount of confidence in my own intelligence.

And if it sounds like I'm overly into myself, well then I'm sorry. I'm absent-minded to a fault and I have occasional flares of temper, so there are a few faults that make up for my general smarts.

So, serious question - do you think you're smart?
    Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.

It's a very good question - one I suppose in which the answer could prove or disprove itself.

I do consider myself to be intelligent, yes. Somewhat more so than alot of the people around me. But at the same time, I hardly consider myself a genius, and there are people who would dwarf me intellectually, and I don't just mean geniuses by that either. But honestly, yes, I consider myself more intellegent than...hmm...I don't know if I want to say most people...maybe the average person.

But there are alot of different forms of intelligence, or ways to judge how intellegent somebody is. For example, vocabulary, I think I have an excellent vocabulary, and often find myself toning it down when I talk to people. However, hand me some reasonable basic maths and I'll sit there puzzled. There's musical intellegence, situational intellegence, alot of this sort of thing. So I can't be bothered going into them all.

I could go into more depth, but I guess people will get the point.
    http://soundcloud.com/ciaran-lyttle
    I did it all for the lulz.
    Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    I don't think I'm like this anymore, though many on this forum might think otherwise.
    As I've grown up some. back in the day. I even use myself as an example. reflected on things that happened in the past. I have a better understanding of things now. At least I can admit it now. I have somehow caused this situation by mentioning how I used to act on here. how I've changed. I'm a relatively normal poster now

Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    So, serious question - do you think you're smart?
    Serious answer - yes i do. And to be honest I think most people would say yes. Statistically my grades have always been in the top 5-10% of my class which is my only real indication to be honset but I think its legitimate enough.

When it comes to common sense I have have practically none though. I can't cook to save my life and I always ask pretty obvious questions.

I do pride myself on a great vocabulary though
    ----------------------------

When the rain comes I sit home and pray,
    Make it all numb I wish it all away.

Join UK Fans Offspring Social Group HERE

I've never really considered myself to really be that smart, just good at multiple choice tests. From 3rd grade to 8th grade I was in the gifted program at my schools, and i ended up going to a college preparatory (turns out that word is surprisingly hard to spell, ironically) high school. I never really excelled in any of these programs, but I survived with just about a 3.0 GPA throughout.

Now that I'm in college, though, I do feel a lot smarter than a lot of people around me. I'm taking REALLY easy classes this semester (college algebra, spanish 202, english 101, etc) and I really don't have to study or anything and I'm doing pretty well so far. Or rather, at least better than the people around me in those classes.

I do tend to surround myself with people a lot smarter than me, though. Almost all of my friends are in, like, Calc 2 or 3 as freshmen or taking tough chemistry classes that I probably would never be able to handle.
    Quote Originally Posted by pyro offspring View Post
    is it true that obama may legaliz it?

Brief answer:

Most everyone I know considers me a genius, but I honestly just think of myself as average, despite my academic success and shockingly high IQ (shocking to me, at least). There's just so much I can't wrap my head around, and I'm prone to brainfarts and stupid/slow comments. Sometimes common sense and practical shit just goes right over my head.

I think it all depends on how you measure intelligence of course.

Though I will admit that, though I try to stay humble about it, I can't help but think that maybe I'm smarter than I'm willing to admit when I meet certain people. You know what I'm talkin' about.

Greensboro, North Carolina, United States

Like I imagine most people would say, I'm smart in some things and not so smart in others. I was often considered a genius by my peers, but I can explain it away by being a great learner, excellent test taker, and having photographic memory, not to mention the fact that I actually listen in class. So I never had to study or apply myself, but still got damn good grades. For things that would actually help me out in the real world, though, I find myself to be utterly useless.
    My myoosik:

The SRIs: (Thread)(Soundcloud)
    McFear: (Thread)(Soundcloud)

Yes. First of all, I was lucky enough to be brought up by two very nurturing intellectual parents that challenged me from the get-go. I also worked hard to acquire a lot of the book smarts I have now. But I'm an American. I think in a lot of other countries school's I'd be average, especially in Europe and east Asia. I think I'm above average.

I am arrogant, but this is not my view I'm afraid.

I will admit that I think I am fairly intelligent. Generally however I wouldn't say that I'm the smartest over the majority. Just that there may be fields in which I would have the advantage, and other fields in which I would not have the advantage.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

Short Answer: I do believe I am a reasonably intelligent person, especially in comparison to my surroundings. My academic success (or lack of) would not tell you this, at all. I have had very few A's throughout High School, I would be surprised if I have anything above a 2.0 GPA, and I am on the verge of not graduating. On the other hand I have been in (and passed) several honors classes. I'm also kind of arrogant, and do/say some really absent minded things without thinking sometimes.
    I wrote a four word letter.

I think it depends. On the BBS I feel pretty average, although there are individuals that make me feel like a genius. In my real life I'm not afraid to admit I am much more intelligent than those around me.
    "There are no fools more bothersome than those with wit"