Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Things you'll never live down

Default Things you'll never live down

Have you ever done something that's so low, so morally hideous, so depraved, so vile, that your only hope is that it will go with you to the grave?
    Or simply something you're bitterly ashamed of?

Tell us all about it.
    We won't tell anyone - not unless you want us to.

I cheated in highschool.

The teacher left her bag after a test with all of our papers in it. Somebody took them out and started correcting the mistakes most of us realized we made by talking to each other and that meant a really bad grade.

I followed the group, but too late. And the teacher caught me hand in the bag. She took me to the principal's office and I was terribly ashamed because it was really out of character.

Gave me a great lesson. I can't say that I never cheated again but I never did something that didn't feel right, eventhough a bunch of people were doing it.

I was so ashamed that I couldn't talk about it or think about it for years. I paid it too... Besides the fact that I was expelled for 2 days, three years later, the same principal refused to give me support to go a "Classe prépa" (sort of an elite kind of class that you do after high school). It turned out great though, so I guess it's okay.

Funny how when it's written, it doesn't seem so bad... My darkest moment kind of sucks...

What about you Duskygrin ?

All the Beautiful Things you do

Respect my authoritah !

I was defeated by a girl in arm wrestling in highschool.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

Very drunken nights that my friends like to bring up again and again.

comming here. is the most awful thing to do. i hate it but love it more. i think nothing less of you guys just be nicer that is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Duskygrin View Post
    Have you ever done something that's so low, so morally hideous, so depraved, so vile, that your only hope is that it will go with you to the grave?
    Or simply something you're bitterly ashamed of?

Tell us all about it.
    We won't tell anyone - not unless you want us to.
    Once I sent pictures of my tits to notoriousdoc.

Re cheating. You seem to be ashamed not of the actual cheating, but of being caught red-handed. I can understand the humiliation, the publicity...

But is that real shame? Aren't you simply afraid of how people will look upon you after that? Isn't it people's judgement that actually bothers you?
    Suppose you had never been caught, and nobody was any the wiser. How would you have reacted THEN? Would you still feel the red iron of shame on your cheeks? Or would you laugh it off, with a slight shiver of apprehensive retrospect, thinking "Lucky I didn't get caught, might have meant no end of trouble...".

As for me, it's mostly childhood and primary school memories... I'll get into it when I've a good 15 minutes to set it down properly.

Re inebriation. Seriously. Does that even count? Or did you actually torture someone under the influence?

Aren't you simply afraid of how people will look upon you after that? Isn't it people's judgement that actually bothers you?
    Isn't that what shame is?

But is that real shame?
    Nobody is going to admit to anything they feel real shame about. By the very nature of shame, if they can admit to it, they can't be experiencing it very intensely. I would never tell anyone the things I am ashamed of because I am genuinely ashamed of them.

The only exception of course is when the trauma of the guilty conscience outweighs the potential trauma of the shame. Then you can have a real confession of something truly heinous.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.” – Bill Hicks

Shame

1) The painful feeling arising from the consciousness of something dishonorable, improper, ridiculous, etc., done by oneself or another.

One's hurt ego being pilloried in front of everybody, labelled "a cheat" etc is not unadulterated shame. That's shame in its other acception of disgrace and ignominy.

That is what Baldwin is endeavouring to bring upon me. Ignominy in this public forum. He knows people will read his comments and form a judgement of me. He knows I will perforce be humiliated. Possibly so much so that I may collapse in tears or commit suicide.
    But that's where the nuance sets in. Although I may be disgraced, I feel no shame. No real shame. In my heart of hearts, I don't give a damn.

That is not to say I do not have ANY moral standards. Well, perhaps I don't, but that is by no means a reliable indicator of my ethics. It's just this one instance.

More interestingly, I've had people confess to me their shames... it's happened, once or twice. You'd be surprised at how trivial the actions may seem. But deep down, they know they did wrong, and they have to live with it.
    Last edited by Duskygrin; 11-07-2013 at 11:30 AM.

if you only knew all of my shitty little secrets. i cannot confess 'em here though. i'm guilty, shameful, blameful, faulty accused by my relatives. why am i still alive? i should've been dead by now. i may be a sinner and a fucking little bitch!