Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Things you'll never live down

To answer your question, I would have felt bad and guilty but it would probably have been easier.

Being caught was definitely what caused the shame. I hated being taken by the hand by the teacher to see the Principal, I hated how angry and disappointed she looked, I hated that the adults aware of the story thought I was a trouble kid for a while when really, I think of myself as a person with integrity. I think the shame came from the fact that this really wasn't what I thought of myself. I slipped, which is already difficult, and everybody witnessed it.

As I told you, I couldn't speak of it for years but recently, a guy I was with in highschool told me that a lot of the other students were relieved I didn't give any names and were kind of thankful for it at the time. I never would have guessed that. That made me feel a little better about it...

All the Beautiful Things you do

Respect my authoritah !

Quote Originally Posted by Duskygrin View Post
    Re cheating. You seem to be ashamed not of the actual cheating, but of being caught red-handed. I can understand the humiliation, the publicity...

But is that real shame? Aren't you simply afraid of how people will look upon you after that? Isn't it people's judgement that actually bothers you?
    Suppose you had never been caught, and nobody was any the wiser. How would you have reacted THEN? Would you still feel the red iron of shame on your cheeks? Or would you laugh it off, with a slight shiver of apprehensive retrospect, thinking "Lucky I didn't get caught, might have meant no end of trouble..."
    I think we've all been there, and you sum it up nicely. With something as trivial as grade school, I would never let something like that get in the way of my life. But the shame of being caught in front of your peers on the other hand, that's something that'll stay with you (thankfully, the only punishment was re-taking the quiz after school).

While extremely embarrassing, it's something that was abruptly forgotten about after that week. As far as really bad things… I'll have to think long and hard about that.

1 members appreciate this post.

Also, at first, I think, you are afraid of what people think of you...but after a while, you are still ashamed when really, nobody cares about it anymore.

So I think that, yes, what creates the shame involes others and their opinion of you... but shame also has to do with your own judgment over yourself and your own expectations. It is like you are judging yourself as you were someone else... a very unforgiving someone else.
    Last edited by Harleyquiiinn; 11-07-2013 at 02:02 PM.

All the Beautiful Things you do

Respect my authoritah !

When it comes to the more esoteric things in life we all tend to have slightly varying definitions which is of course why semantics is even a thing.

We can all agree on what a cat is. But defining something like shame is not so easy. I choose to use a simplified definition for the purpose of clarity. For me, shame is a thing experienced when my sins are made public. If nobody knows of my sins yet they weigh upon my conscience I just call that guilt. But discussing semantics really isn't all that interesting most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Duskygrin View Post
    That is what Baldwin is endeavouring to bring upon me. Ignominy in this public forum. He knows people will read his comments and form a judgement of me.
    It's old news. I doubt anybody cares. Which is interesting in and of itself, I suppose, but that's another conversation.
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.” – Bill Hicks

Guys, this looks like a serious discussion. Cut that shit out.
    Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.

The fact that not one soul here would ever again be interested in that topic doesn't miraculously absolve Baldwin. He came here with foul intent and there's an end of it.

All right, let's talk about lighter things. And since we're on the subject of semantics, I have one burning question.

- Is a spade the exact same thing as a shovel?

A spade is for digging. A shovel is for, well, shovelling. They are quite different.

Notice how the head of the spade points straight down so you can put all your weight on it by pushing down on the handle and standing on the head if necessary.

The head of the shovel is angled out to facilitate a scooping motion instead of a digging motion.

Of course you can use the wrong tool for the job and still accomplish the task but like with any job you're going to be more efficient with the right tool.

Or:

A shovel is a tool intended for clearing loose material such as soil or gravel while a spade is a racial slur.

Take your pick.
    Last edited by Paint_It_Black; 11-08-2013 at 12:54 PM.
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.” – Bill Hicks

Thanks for clearing out misgivings... it's interesting that in French the translation for "shovel" is also used for "spade" in some cases, while by rights it should be different. Well, there might be instances when it could be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Dulce Maria View Post
    if you only knew all of my shitty little secrets. i cannot confess 'em here though. i'm guilty, shameful, blameful, faulty accused by my relatives. why am i still alive? i should've been dead by now. i may be a sinner and a fucking little bitch!
    Like what? What's going on with you? What did you do that is worth dying over or punishment is death? Why do you choose to be bad,. a sinner, someone who can't be trusted. I can't get my head around you. I suddenly feel unsafe around you. Explain yourself pleases.

Quote Originally Posted by yellow View Post
    Like what? What's going on with you? What did you do that is worth dying over or punishment is death? Why do you choose to be bad,. a sinner, someone who can't be trusted. I can't get my head around you. I suddenly feel unsafe around you. Explain yourself pleases.
    shit! yellow that's alot to answer but ok. i'm going through a dark matter versus dark energy and i seem to consume it all from the universe. i'm still a fucking sinner, haven't had the balls to confess my secrets to god/jesus. the little rebel in me wants to come out and play. i think the enemy choosed me for some reason? my soul is lost and cannot seem to find its way back home. other humans have prayed for me, a miracle that i be set free from harm. the light is much stronger and way more powerful. you're right i'm not a safe person to be around. i'm sorry. thank you. i love you. please don't hate me.