Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: the big bang theory

Hybrid View

Cool the big bang theory

who's your favorite character? SHELDON COOPER is a sexy beast! i'd love to brainfuck him allnighter. haha.

And here I am, watching a nice idea turn into a pile of crap.

my hormones. the show is funny as hell! penny is pretty. the other boys are, well, y'know. i dunno. i'm a fan of the geeks/nerds. call me a dumb-dweeb.

Sheldon is the best, of course. But they all have their merits.

Big Bang is the only mainstream comedy I can stand, and I actually love it. Great show.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

PiB, every once in a while you disappoint me so, so much. I hoped that by now, you'd have realized what a horrible show BBT is. You're too good for this shit, man!

This sums it up pretty well.

And this.

Can't forget the portrayal of women in Chuck Lorre's shows, either. Why do all the male characters in BBT have last names, but Penny doesn't? Why was Leslie dropped from the cast? Because the writers much prefer to include female characters as objects of men's lust than to develop real female characters to the level of male ones.
    Last edited by Llamas; 11-09-2013 at 08:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

I've got to admit that Big Bang Theory, that I loved at the beginning, bored me around the 3rd season and I've stopped watching it.

Last episodes I saw, the only comedy was about Sheldon. And one character isn't enough to make a good show, especially if it's a lenghty series. How I met your Mother has exactly the same problem.

Really when it comes to sitcom, Friends is still the best written show, ever. They managed to stay funny for 10 years. I rewatched them all last year. Didn't get bored at all.

In current sitcoms, I'm a big fan of 2 broke girls... they are not even trying to write a good scenario, but some of the jokes are priceless.

All the Beautiful Things you do

Respect my authoritah !

Quote Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
    PiB, every once in a while you disappoint me so, so much.
    Haha, the feeling is mutual. I hate that you like HIMYM. And you want to talk about treatment of women? Barney is a rapist and all his friends are totally cool with it.

I can't watch those vids right now. I'll try to remember later.

I love Big Bang primarily for the nerd references and somewhat realistic representation of male nerd friend groups. In other words, I love it for the parts that really resonate with my own life. If it wasn't for that I probably wouldn't like it any more than I like any other mainstream comedy.

Should probably say I only watch it sporadically though. I can't take too much of any comedy generally.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    Barney is a rapist and all his friends are totally cool with it.
    Wait, wait, wait... rapist?? First of all, lying to women about who you are to get them to sleep with you isn't rape. Second of all, the show clearly depicts how Barney's womanizing lifestyle hurts him, and the strong female characters (who are on an equal level to the men on the show) constantly chew him out for his behavior. He grows as a character, along with the other main characters (minus Ted, who's never stopped being horrendously lame). I've always viewed Barney as a messed up guy who has a terrible view toward women and needs to grow up. He's a great guy in many ways but needs to work through his fear of loving a woman, which he has done by now. Anyone who praises his womanizing lifestyle seems to have misunderstood the point of that character.
    On BBT, female characters *only* exist for the lust of the male characters, who are the only truly developed characters on the show. At any rate, I loved the first three seasons of HIMYM, but now I'm quite far behind. I will watch this last season, though, just because I want to see how it ends. It was a great show 8 years ago, but now it's pretty damn average.

I love Big Bang primarily for the nerd references and somewhat realistic representation of male nerd friend groups. In other words, I love it for the parts that really resonate with my own life. If it wasn't for that I probably wouldn't like it any more than I like any other mainstream comedy.
    But all the nerds I know can't stand it because 1) they constantly mess up nerd references and get them wrong, 2) all the nerd references are mainstream and they specifically choose things that will resonate with everyone, rather than using actual nerd stuff like shows like Futurama and IT Crowd, 3) I actually find it really sad because the entire show seems to want you to laugh at socially awkward losers who probably have Asperger's, but these same characters are supposed to be protagonists... and 4) "when you're incredibly intelligent, you spend your time on intense projects, not going to the comic book store every Wednesday. A real geek is too busy subtitling anime or modding Skyrim to keep a job like that. If they wanted to show the actual world of geekdom, they need to lose the high-paying science jobs and focus on dudes writing articles for Internet magazines." Sheldon should be more of a nerd than a geek, but the true nerd humor (which I would actually enjoy) doesn't resonate with most people, so they throw in a lot of geek stuff because most people recognize that.

I find that How I Met Your Mother and Big Bang Theory are both pretty bottom barrel, though I've watched them both as one point, but that last bit is incredibly asinine llamas. That argument could be made against pretty much every television show ever.

Isn't it amazing how Ted has so much time to look for his future wife and spend his whole life at the bar when he's a professor and architect? He's gotta drop that busy architecture career if they really want me to believe he has the time to wake up hungover with a goat in his restroom.
    I wrote a four word letter.

I agree that HIMYM is not a particularly good show, as I said, and I also agree that there's no way Ted would have so much free time for drinking and partying and looking for a girl. But my point was more about character. Yes, I quoted the whole thing, but my point was about making an illogical, unrealistic character, rather than commenting on the lack of time. Sheldon especially is supposed to be such a huge nerd, but for a nerd, he strangely has very few nerd interests and tends more to geek interests. If they wanted to make a show about geeks, they should've made a show about geeks. It just comes across that the writers can't differentiate, and now that I think about it, it seems that geeks love the show and nerds hate it. That might make more sense, I suppose.