Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: the big bang theory

not a fan of two broke girls. but the brunette is sexy though.

Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    That's the sort-of-hot-but-not-hot-enough-to-piss-off-female-viewers trophy that Barney and Ted get to compete for, right? Pretty sure every woman who watches the show is meant to relate to her.
    Ha, I actually think she's hot as hell, but that's totally beside the point - and so is the fact that a lot of women I know who watch the show relate more to Lily. I relate to Robin because I was raised like a boy in many ways, with a boy haircut and was often mistaken for a boy, but even more because she's a rather messed up weirdo who does her best to disguise that fact. She disguises it much better than I do, and does manage to come off as sophisticated in many ways, but as soon as her weirdness started to come out in the show, I started really appreciating her character. Then there's also the fact that she's portrayed as a moderately successful woman who wants more - she wants greater success, she wants to make a difference in her work, and that's pretty much where I've been throughout these last few years. I couldn't care less about her relationship situations, nor who's competing for her. This isn't to say she's some amazing character - she's not *that* unique in the TV world, and she's far from a role model (nobody on that show really is, besides maybe Marshall)... I'd say the best role model for women on modern mainstream TV is Leslie Knope... but I can relate a hell of a lot more to someone like her than someone like Penny. And Sex and the City? That's your go-to example? Haha, so because there's a shitty show for women, that makes BBT better? :P Sex and the City is just as bad.

Oh, and the comment about her "not being hot enough to piss off female viewers" seems like kind of a nasty comment to make.

Hold on there little girl, you got something to back that up? I was nice enough to prove my nerdiness even though you already know I have a penis and therefore automatically don't need to prove shit. You'd better be about to pull some serious credentials out of your vagina or else get back in the kitchen and make me a sandwich.
    Again, I see a rather significant difference between geek and nerd. In high school and early college, I definitely had a few geekier traits, like being super into Buffy and Angel, and playing tons of video games. I also had a good collection of old comics. I'm pretty removed from those interests nowadays (though I still love Buffy/Angel, but I don't talk about it anymore, and just occasionally rewatch episodes now and then), and could not consider myself a geek. But a nerd, sure. I've always been a nerd about music - I was in an NCAA div 1 marching band. I can sight-sing music using solfège and really enjoyed music theory. I'm also an English nerd - I read articles about linguistics for fun. Most of my bookmarks have to do with phonetics or linguistics. But probably the nerdiest part of me is that I majored in biology for quite some time, taught science to children, and still am very interested in genetics and ecology. I'm one of those pricks who finds the trend of people saying they "love science!" and "love grammar!" obnoxious because 95% of them only understand the most basic elements. Knowing the difference between there and their doesn't make you any more of a grammar nerd than knowing that the chemical symbol for potassium is K makes you a science nerd.

The occasional science humor in BBT is what drew me to check it out in the first place, and why my friends told me I'd like it. Every once in a while, they were successful... but the number of times they messed up their science was already mildly annoying, and then the science jokes started to disappear in favor of more obvious crap.
    Last edited by Llamas; 11-12-2013 at 04:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Quote Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
    Oh, and the comment about her "not being hot enough to piss off female viewers" seems like kind of a nasty comment to make.
    How so? It was certainly cynical, if that's what you meant. But there's every reason to be cynical about television and the entertainment industry in general. Because it is an industry first and art second. But nasty? I don't see why, and if I accidentally offended you I'm very sorry. You know I only ever want to offend people intentionally.

Or did you mean because I implied that some women react badly to another woman they perceive as much more attractive than them? Because surely you can't disagree with that?

Seriously though, I didn't mean to offend you at all and I'm curious why you thought my comment was nasty.

Every once in a while, they were successful... but the number of times they messed up their science was already mildly annoying, and then the science jokes started to disappear in favor of more obvious crap.
    I seem to recall they have a respected scientist check all their scripts to ensure the accuracy of the science stuff. If they make errors on occasion, or simply fudge it for a better joke or something, I can forgive it.

I'm one of those pricks who finds the trend of people saying they "love science!" and "love grammar!" obnoxious because 95% of them only understand the most basic elements.
    I don't need a PhD to love science, though, surely? I am in awe of what science has allowed mankind to achieve. The technology it has given us. The medical advances. The understanding of the world around us. Just everything really. I love science with a passion. If science had an orifice I would put my penis in it. I don't need to understand science to love it in this way any more than I need to understand women to want to put things in their orifices. I love science.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.” – Bill Hicks