Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1988 Tehran Demo Tape now on YouTube

2 members appreciate this post.

This sounds really freaking awesome. Thank you for sharing!

1 members appreciate this post.

Mega Man, you are so awesome. Thanks for uploading it.
    The founder of The Offspring Wikia, and looking for someone to help out, find out why at this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by holland25 View Post
    That song's NEVER been called Revelations. Never.
    There was a version floating around called Revelations (Out On Patrol demo), I just assumed it was a working title.

You're welcome, guys. It was all by sheer luck that I discovered these at the time I did.

When downloading it, I expected Side A to sound like this:
    http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/Tehran/6316438
    With the correct timing and good quality, it's interesting to see how far the songs have come… the Tehran demo actually sounds more like Baghdad (especially the bass intro).

As for Side B, the crowd sounds on "Jennifer Lost the War" were a bit suspect (I too thought that was only on They Were Born to Kill), but I figured it may have been original after all, considering the quality of the rest of the song (no scratches or pops reminiscent of a vinyl transfer). Small things, like backing vocals, have also made a difference throughout the demo.

And yes, my favorite track as well is easily "Out On Patrol." The only problem with the TWBTK version is there's a recording glitch at the beginning, which leaves a notable "pop" at the start (like here). I was thankful that this version didn't have that (and is it just me, or do the drums sound a little punchier?).

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw View Post
    Freakin love that soloish thing at the beginning of Out On Patrol/Revelations, wonder who the hell thought it was a good idea to take it out from the final version.
    If I were to guess, I'd say Thom Wilson. Noodles mentions how he cut a lot of "unnecessary" solos… And if there was one thing awesome about the first album, it was all the Noodles solos.
    Last edited by Mega Man; 11-08-2013 at 09:22 AM.

1 members appreciate this post.

Awesome. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post
    As for Side B, the crowd sounds on "Jennifer Lost the War" were a bit suspect (I too thought that was only on They Were Born to Kill), but I figured it may have been original after all, considering the quality of the rest of the song (no scratches or pops reminiscent of a vinyl transfer).
    Hold on a second. TWBTK had that crowd noise too? My mp3s of that don't have it

Side B songs are definitely not recorded from the TWBTK vinyl, they sound nothing like those on it. They are 100% legit. You can't get such good quality from average quality versions on a vinyl.

EDIT: I just checked my mp3s of TWBTK and I don't have the crowd noise nor the 'pop' at the beginning of Out on Patrol in there. Might be a different rip or just edited songs.
    Last edited by holland25; 11-08-2013 at 10:50 AM.

I love when these things happen
    greekoldfan @Lord_Gabo you should be called: theoldestLordfan
    www.offspring.it
    www.offspring.it/board

1994 My first Offspring song
    2014 Smash Anniversary and my first Offspring on the way

Remember the Sardinina Flag!

Quote Originally Posted by holland25 View Post
    Hold on a second. TWBTK had that crowd noise too? My mp3s of that don't have it

Side B songs are definitely not recorded from the TWBTK vinyl, they sound nothing like those on the vinyl. They are 100% legit. You can't get such good quality from average quality versions on a vinyl.

EDIT: I just checked my mp3s of TWBTK and I don't have the crowd noise nor the 'pop' at the beginning of Out on Patrol in there. Might be a different rip or just edited songs.
    Well that's strange; here's a different rip with the crowd noise:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Klaa-Jamf0
    Wonder what the origins of that are.

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw View Post
    There was a version floating around called Revelations (Out On Patrol demo), I just assumed it was a working title.
    I know. Someone must have come up with that title. It's called Out on Patrol on the cassette and on They Were Born to Kill. No clue who renamed it and why...