Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Texting & Driving vs Drunk Driving Penalties

Default Texting & Driving vs Drunk Driving Penalties

I think texting and driving is just as bad, if not worse, than driving drunk. Yet, the penalty for DWI is far worse. In terms of the potential for damage and the level of recklessness involved, T&D is very comparable to DWI. There may be many people who would advocate that these penalties be made similar, but perhaps the only reason that DWI penalties have been blown out of proportion in the first place is due to powerful lobbying groups such as MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving). It's almost as if texting and driving penalties represent an assessment of a crime of this nature being made without all the hype and emotion surrounding DWI.

How would you feel if you, a member of your family, or your closest friend, received a penalty that caused them to lose their license (and subsequently their job) for 7 months for being caught texting and driving? I believe that many people would consider this outrageous or at least excessive. Yet, these same people would likely support the status quo of DWI penalties.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

I disagree that the penalties should be equal. You can limit your texting to when you're stopped at intersections or when you've already checked and have no one else around to slam into you if it's just going to be something quick. Basically, it's possible to be reasonably responsible while still texting behind the wheel, whereas when you're drunk driving you're drunk the entire time, not just when you're stopped at intersections.

Quote Originally Posted by nieh View Post
    I disagree that the penalties should be equal. You can limit your texting to when you're stopped at intersections or when you've already checked and have no one else around to slam into you if it's just going to be something quick. Basically, it's possible to be reasonably responsible while still texting behind the wheel, whereas when you're drunk driving you're drunk the entire time, not just when you're stopped at intersections.
    That statement in itself is fucking ignorant. The fact that you are texting while driving shows a lack of responsibility similar to drunk driving. You get caught doing it, lose driving privelages for 2 years, pay a $1,000 fine and be forced to get high risk insurance when privelages are resumed for 3 years. It should be a law that all manufacturers make phone texting, web browsing etc...100% disabled when you start the vehicle.

It needs to be penalized more than it is, but no, it's not as bad as drunk driving. I'm completely against people texting while driving because it is still way too big of a distraction while operating a ton of metal at potentially high speeds. Your eyes should be on driving, not on your phone. The vast majority of idiot drivers I see on the road are fiddling with their phones, and plenty are killed by texting drivers. But equal to drunk driving? No way. I'd support having your phone taken away as penalty, but not having your car or license taken away, nor risk of prison time.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Is it as bad as drunk driving...probably not. But, you are still purposefully doing something that is so distracting to driving that it should be severely penalized. Now, if two people alone in their vehicles texting whaled into each other, that would be epic.

Oh look, SmartBot and CleverBot are trying to convince us they're human.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

Does your reply have anything to do with this thread in any manner? As usual...no. Go push your dumbass over to another thread. There must be one titled, my life at door knob height. Reply to what you know.

I'm sorry, I fail to see how drunk driving is so much severely worse than texting and driving. It takes nearly all your focus to complete a text message. Drunk driving just makes you a little slower and uncoordinated. Save for drivers that are drunk driving at about twice the legal limit, I'd say texting and drive is much worse.

Either way, I'd say that in order to have a rational penalty, the fine for these two crimes ought to be within about 20% of each other, with a similar level of severity for loss of license. The fact that they both often kill people is practically reason enough follow this model.
    Last edited by bighead384; 11-20-2013 at 01:07 PM.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

Quote Originally Posted by MOTO13 View Post
    It should be a law that all manufacturers make phone texting, web browsing etc...100% disabled when you start the vehicle.
    So you support Big Brother and prefer legislation over liberty now?

Pull your pants up MOTO, I'm starting to see a crack.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by nieh View Post
    I really don't like this perspective - hypothetically there may be a couple instances where this is true. THen again, I here all the time "I drive better buzzed - I'm much more focused on the road ect".

There should be zero tolerance for this, regardless of the context. So i guess i agree with bighead; weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gabel
    Adrenaline carried one last thought to fruition.
    Let this be the end.
    Let this be the last song.
    Let this be the end.
    Let all be forgiven.