Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Texting & Driving vs Drunk Driving Penalties

Quote Originally Posted by jacknife737 View Post
    So i guess i agree with bighead; weird.
    Sweet.

Anyway, there are indeed statistics that point to the conclusion that texting and driving is at least comparable to drunk driving in terms of fatalities caused per year.

If researchers at the Cohen Children's Medical Center (Long Island) are to be believed, more than 3,000 teenagers are killed in texting-related accidents in the United States every year. If that's true, then practice of texting while driving is more serious than driving under influence, which―according to the CDC―results in 2,700 teen deaths every year.
    Source: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/texti...tatistics.html

Again, I think that the penalties for texting and driving are so relatively minor compared to DUI penalties because lawmakers haven't faced an undue amount of pressure from lobbying groups such as MADD. Dangerous driving practices need to be curbed by serious deterrents, but that does not mean that penalties need to ruin people's lives. Furthermore, while I lack proof, I have the impression that drunk driving has NOT decreased in the past 20 or so years since the penalties have been made more and more severe along with the max legal Blood Alcohol Content being decreased.
    Last edited by bighead384; 12-07-2013 at 07:29 PM.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

I just read an article a few days ago about dangers while driving. Some researchers ran simulations - they took a bunch of people, put them in simulator cars, and had them doing different things. Some were talking on the phone, some texting, some eating, some doing hair/makeup, and some were drunk. They found that texting while driving was THE most dangerous of the bunch. Drunk driving was second - at least while driving drunk, your hands are still on the wheel and you're looking out the window. Plus there are tons of people who text at stop lights, and then when the light turns green, they start driving while they finish writing their message.

This study is a lot less scientific than the above and only looked at two individuals, but it's an interesting piece. http://www.caranddriver.com/features...angerous-is-it
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Yes, I think the penalties should be the same. You have just as much chance of killing someone if your texting and driving as you would be if you were drunk. In order to be able to text and drive, you would have to be able to focus on 2 things at once, which isn't possible.

This video will tests your awareness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahg6qcgoay4

There could *almost* be a device that could allow for safe "text messaging & driving". There could be a small screen just like a GPS screen that you stick inside the car on your windshield. The screen is linked to your phone. The screen then converts words that you speak into text, and you can send the messages from there.

You'd still have to read it though.

I don't think there's really anyway technology could make texting and driving safe. Although that method would be safer, but not safe enough.

Edit: Actually, suppose this device READ your incoming text messages as well?
    Last edited by bighead384; 12-11-2013 at 07:50 AM.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 999999999% of all texting has zero to do with anything urgent, life changing or even remotely important enough to warrant taking your attention away from driving. The penalty should include the officer taking your phone and destroying it.

There is an option on the cell phones now that it will read the text messages to you and you can say the reply and it types out for you.

I was driving the other day and a cop passed me and the cop was texting. So how are they suppose in force the law when they do it themselves? And also I don't ever truly inforce a harsh texting and driving law.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Vessels View Post
    ...I was driving the other day and a cop passed me and the cop was texting. So how are they suppose in force the law when they do it themselves? And also I don't ever truly inforce a harsh texting and driving law.
    Please explain the last sentence. The other two, well, I'll let slide.

I was driving the other day probably going about 45/50 and a cop passed me and when he did I looked over at him and he was texting on his cell phone. Better? I don't think the government will ever pass a truly harsh texting and driving law. Better?

1 members appreciate this post.

Well, there you go girl. Welcome to the world of coherent communication.

Um thanks MOTO. But honestly I didn't think there was anything wrong when I typed it out the first time.