Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I believe that people should work less hours

Default I believe that people should work less hours

Honestly, if the standard work week was 35 hours, I think we'd all be better off for it. Well except the ulta-rich. And, I do know most, if not all European countries work less hours on average.

Why is it so controversial, so hard to suggest that societies should look into further reducing the average number of hours worked? I think this would greatly increase the quality of life, even if only a few hours per week were shaved off.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

You want to work less, work less. Nobody is stopiing you. Others have what is commonly known as the American Work Ethic. While you may be satisfied walking to work and living in a 500 sq' shit hole apartment, others are not. Also, certain manufacturing and business processes and hours of operation lend themselves to longer work hours for certain efficiency. You want to work less hours? It's easy. Open your own business, be your own boss and do whatever the hell you want.

The 35 hours law doesn't actually mean that you work 35 hours a week...

It's the legal week length but I don't know one single person who actually works 35 hours a week. The less I know is 39 hours, but it's more around 40-45 hours....Of course, that means more vacation days, or extra hours paid better. So yeah, it's great. And I agree with you.

I also agree with Moto when he says that if you want to work less, you should work for yourself, if possible.

I started working for me a few months ago... and I wouldn't say that I effectively work less... but I spend less time at work which is really cool.

All the Beautiful Things you do

Respect my authoritah !

In Denmark its 37.5, anything beyond that is double pay or more time off later on. Its a great system, really improves upon quality of life. Also should decrease unemployment.

Though when I'm in America I'm always impressed by the service sector who work crazy shitty hours for crazy shitty wages yet manage to keep a smile on their face. I'm just thankful I live in a unionized country.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

If you get an hour for lunch, technically you're already working 35 hours. My old job was 42.5 (9-5:30 with an hour lunch break making the actual paid hours 37.5) normally, and we were stuck on mandatory overtime for over a year straight. It sucked.

My week averages out to be well over 50 hours...no overtime. Unions? Not a big fan. Hopefully they go the way of the DoDo in the US.

Thats cool. You can keep your work ethic, I'm quite happy with my abundant free time to pursue hobbies and a social life, and the wage to support this.

Also the opportunity to not have my body worn down to a fragile, painful mess by the time I retire. But hey, when you start your own business at least you wonMt be hassled by unions when you get to a point where you hire employees. Though as a person who lives with a business owner, I don't think you understand how work-intensive it actually is. You don't do it for the free-time, you do it for the challenge and satisfaction.

Oh you also do it for the free time... Not the free time exactly but the possibility to organize your time...

As i said, for me it s less hours at work... But when i work, i dont waste my time anymore because i dont have to stay untill 7:30 minimum....

challenge and satisfaction are also cool though :-D
    Last edited by Harleyquiiinn; 11-21-2013 at 01:01 PM.

All the Beautiful Things you do

Respect my authoritah !

Some say hard work makes you stronger...both in mind and body. It develops discipline and a mentality that difficult times can be met without worry. It's been said that it actually gives some people a certain amount of personal satisfaction that only hard work (be it physical or mental) can bring. Call it human nature/survival of the fittest. Others, they are happy to do just enough to get by.

Its nice to have mantras to make getting through a shitty day seem a little less hard, and a little less pointless.